Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Yacht Rock

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ On the other hand, Gino Vannelli was probably right on the starboard deck.
    Yupz, while they sent Dr. John to the galley, Don van Vliet to the machinery and Moondog to the lifeboat.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I've never heard Gino Vanelli or much of Jimmy Buffett. They never meant anything in the UK. Most of these type of acts managed at least one hit here, even just a 'radio hit', but not those two.
    I only know one or two Vanelli songs as he had a few hits here. Buffett did not really have a ton of hits in the U.S. although "Margaritaville" and a few others got played to death. Other than a few years in the late 70's when he had a few hits, he has mainly been what I would call a bit of a cult artist. That being said, he still has a huge following and here in the States.

Buffet isn't Yacht Rock, despite him championing the whole "I'm on a boat (maybe even a yacht), chillin'" vibe. He's closer to Southern Rock- if you passed the South and wound up in Florida.

is it anyway related to 'The Section' ? I remember reading an article about them in Rolling Stone a couple of years back.

Here is the Wikipedia about Russ Kunkel
    Russell "Russ" Kunkel (September 27, 1948) is an American drummer and producer who has worked as a session musician with many well-known artists, including Dan Fogelberg, Stephen Stills, Linda Ronstadt, James Taylor, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Stevie Nicks, Carole King, Jackson Browne, Joe Walsh, Glenn Frey, and Carly Simon.

In the 1970s, Kunkel worked so frequently with bassist Leland Sklar, guitarist Danny Kortchmar, and keyboardist Craig Doerge that they eventually became known as "The Section" and recorded three albums under that name between 1972 and 1977.
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    ^Like a 70s soft-rock equivalent of the 'Wrecking Crew'!

I'd say Michael McDonald is a regular as well- not just his own stuff with The Doobie Brothers and solo, but he's on 'Peg', 'Ride Like The Wind', etc.

Basically, Michael McDonald and Stevie Nicks are on 99% of the albums that fall in the years for yacht rock...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

It appears to be a pejorative for the Soft Rock genre, dreamed up by Internet gubbins who weren't there at the time. Who knows? In the future, when most of us are a memory, and the appellation "Progressive" has been appropriated to describe a musical genre that sounds nothing like our Progressive Rock, a pejorative may be used regularly to refer to the music that we hold dear.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Although I have heard of the artists mentioned, I did not know they had invented a category for certain pop/rock artists, and given it the name "yacht rock."

Guess I need to waste more time reading Wikipedia.

Said no one, ever.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Some of Steely Dan's work might have appealed out there on the yacht - to Martini people sporting a marginal sense of self-insight and thus also little understanding of social sarcasm or irony. I also remember reading somwhere that one of the earliest yacht rock records was the sole solo album of Dino Valente from 1968. I could never really understand that, though, hearing the non-perfectionist arrangements and sparse instrumentation at play - although the tunes are softer and slicker than sweet butter.

Yeah, I guess Steely Dan could enter the YR category because of the 70's west-coast sonics, but their musical aethetics would suggest thet were better than that, though they belonged was the same yachting crowds
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I don't own this but there's a lot of good songs on here. 'Every Kinda People' for instance is a brilliant record, written by Andy Fraser of Free- certainly the best thing Robert Palmer ever did IMHO. Where Toto are concerned, I'm not so keen on 'Georgy Porgy'- that and '99' had me recoiling in horror when I first heard them. 'Hold The Line', 'Africa' and 'I Won't Hold You Back' are all better.
    Ew. I’m not the biggest Toto fan—they’re sort of baseline for bland mediocrity in my book—but I do like “Hold the Line” and understand why they racked up some hits in their day. However, the appeal of “I Won’t Hold You Back”—a totally soporific and dull ballad that goes in one ear and out the other—absolutely baffles me. How did something so forgettable become a top 10 hit?

I've never heard Gino Vanelli or much of Jimmy Buffett. They never meant anything in the UK. Most of these type of acts managed at least one hit here, even just a 'radio hit', but not those two.
    Gino Vannelli is of peripheral interest on account of his “progressive” aspirations, aided and abetted by his synth-crazy brother (and arranger) Joe. The War Suite off of The Gist of the Gemini is particularly intriguing. Beware, though, some Grade A Can-Con cheese lurks on the A-side. You’re likely to be embarrassed to be part of the same species that produced “A New Fix for ’76.”
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Ew. I’m not the biggest Toto fan—they’re sort of baseline for bland mediocrity in my book—but I do like “Hold the Line” and understand why they racked up some hits in their day. However, the appeal of “I Won’t Hold You Back”—a totally soporific and dull ballad that goes in one ear and out the other—absolutely baffles me. How did something so forgettable become a top 10 hit?
    Outside Hold The Line (which sounds authentic to my ears), I've never liked anything these guys ever did
    Not sure I would class these studio-only guys in the YR crowd, though sraying all year-round in LA gave them an opportunity in hanging around the floating on waters parties held in the haven areas

Gino Vannelli is of peripheral interest on account of his “progressive” aspirations, aided and abetted by his synth-crazy brother (and arranger) Joe. The War Suite off of The Gist of the Gemini is particularly intriguing. Beware, though, some Grade A Can-Con cheese lurks on the A-side. You’re likely to be embarrassed to be part of the same species that produced “A New Fix for ’76.”
    For two decades, I saw Vanelli as a "disco king" , as I had based my opinion on his hairy-chested gold-chain wearing open shirt looks.

I finally investigated him in the mid-90's, when he made a come-back, but TBH, outside a few cheesy semi-prog tunes, I held nothing worth my time.

Not sure I would pigeon-hole him as a yacht owner, though.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Not sure I would pigeon-hole him as a yacht owner, though.
    It’s a bit hard to sail when the St. Lawrence freezes over.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Never heard the term before now either. But I get it.

I have a good handful of this kind of stuff packed onto my hard drive and USB in the truck. Never fails to amuse and occupy me when it comes on after something like Flotsam or Exodus.

I would classify this as being influenced by such songs before it. There is no other band like Extreme.

My sister took me to see Yacht Rock Review in Morristown, NJ last night. They are a tribute band of 20 and 30-somethings who do the music of this "genre" well having people from the era on stage with them. Robbie Dupree ("Steal Away"), Matthew Wilder ("Break My Stride") and Player ("Baby Come Back")-two of them-came on stage to play as did Ambrosia who came on and played all 6 of their biggest singles which was funny because when they played RoSfest they did none (or close) of these songs!

To me, "Yacht Rock" is based on the webisodes made roughly 15 years ago where the actual characters were highly fictionalized versions of Kenny Loggins, Michael McDonald and others interacting in funny situations based on their songs, etc. The Eagles and Steely Dan had a rivaly and the main guy who kept it all together was Coko who had a captain's hat and a yacht, etc. So it's music you think would be played while you're sailing-especialy Christopher Cross's "Sailing" actually.

I think the deliniation is a bit loose but to me it's late 70's early 80's "smooth rock". Lot's of backing vocals, electric piano...you know it when you hear it

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I am guessing Jimmy Buffett would fit this category. I love some of his albums from that time period.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I only know one or two Vanelli songs as he had a few hits here. Buffett did not really have a ton of hits in the U.S. although "Margaritaville" and a few others got played to death. Other than a few years in the late 70's when he had a few hits, he has mainly been what I would call a bit of a cult artist. That being said, he still has a huge following and here in the States.

As these artists get a bit older, they'll have to rename it "Yahtzee Rock."

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    As these artists get a bit older, they'll have to rename it "Yahtzee Rock."
    in nepal, the phenomenon is called Yack Rock

yuk, yuk, yuk

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    in nepal, the phenomenon is called Yack Rock

yuk, yuk, yuk

Never heard of "Yacht Rock" either until I saw this thread. Obviously I'm familiar with the songs. I know it's pejorative but Steely Dan are pretty "yachty".... So what? Doesn't mean we can't like Steely. To me they became really yachty when they produced Aja. It's got some good songs for sure but I find it so slickly produced whatever "rock" they had in their sound was gone. I still think their best years were with the original, hairy band, wearing overalls.

"Yacht Rock, when our superior playing is through, we'll run from you"

You can figure out the melody easily enough.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Buffet isn't Yacht Rock, despite him championing the whole "I'm on a boat (maybe even a yacht), chillin'" vibe. He's closer to Southern Rock- if you passed the South and wound up in Florida.
    Buffet has his own "Slacker Hawaiian Shirt Cutoff Jeans" niche...its not Southern Rock to me......Southern Rock to me is just Boogie Rock sang with a Southern accent and often utilizing three guitarists even though only one guitarist could really get the job done most of the time (same thing with two drummers)

Firefall has definitely got to be considered Yacht Rock

I wonder if Starbuck would qualify?...although this sounds more like TV Game Show music than anything else:

Oh yeah Starbuck qualifies.

Here's the Atlanta chapter-

Aja and FM were a turning point and definitely slicker sounding, but still not anywhere near smooth enough to fit this 'genre' IMHO.
    I could hear Do It Again on a yacht, but I doubt you'd hear My Old School or Bodhisattva on a yacht.......lol

I guess the criteria should be "Any band that has at least one album with a palm tree somewhere in the cover art"

...I guess "Love Beach" was ELP's attempt at Yacht Rock

Not US, but Little River Band

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    I guess the criteria should be "Any band that has at least one album with a palm tree somewhere in the cover art"
    PABLO CRUISE

They even had it in their logo