Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gong - Rejoice I'm Dead coming Sept

After one listen: hmm... I liked it... BUT it kind of sounds more Knifeworld than Gong.

Mind you this is my first perception after one not completely focused listening so I reserve the right to completely change my opinion
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I expect it will have some (or quite a bit) of Kavus' DNA, but that's definitely a good thing IMO.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    New Gong is now on Spotify*. Listening for the first time just right now. Sounds good...

* I am buying the cd so please spare me from any Spotify sermons.
    I'm sure they didn't have to put it on Spotify if they didn't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm sure they didn't have to put it on Spotify if they didn't want to.
    Good point. And point that some people still don't get
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I ordered the three disc version from Planet Gong. I'm not really sure what's on the three discs (I'm sure I could've found that info if I'd done some poking), but I'M happy to support the band and throw them some extra cash for some extra content.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Good point. And point that some people still don't get
    Maybe this will turn some people on to Knifeworld that wouldn't otherwise have given them a look.

And from there it's a short slippery slope to Cardiacs.

Just imagine: a PE landscape not of Genesis and Yes threads, but Tim Smith and Kavus threads.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Maybe this will turn some people on to Knifeworld that wouldn't otherwise have given them a look.

Just imagine: a PE landscape not of Genesis and Yes threads, but Tim Smith and Kavus threads.
    Sign me up.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post

Mmmmmm... Tasty.

Bought a download from Amazon cuz I just can't wait. Listening to the title track and it sounds like... 70s Gong in a BIG way. I won't through any spoilers, but this is a VERY strong album, no matter what band it's released under!

After one listen: hmm... I liked it... BUT it kind of sounds more Knifeworld than Gong.
    Agreed, in some places.
    Last edited by strawberrybrick; 09-16-2016 at 06:30 PM.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

IT IS AWESOME. Carry on. I cant stop playing it. Great mix of old Gong and new ideas. Kavus and Co. are on it.

Champion of Nothing Nicky Cupcakes's Avatar
    I'm happy this was put up on Spotify. Gong is a band who I've tried several times to listen to, but what I heard never left me wanting more. I gave this one a listen on Spotify because that Soundcloud clip was incredibly tasty, and thought the album was overall pretty solid. Think I might pick me up a copy.

This album is killer, from start to finish. I'm not up to speed who was playing with Allen prior to his leaving, but they're carrying on the Gong spirit in fine form I think. Its remarkable how they're able to capture the spirit of Gong without him there. I wouldn't have been on board with this until I read how Allen said he'd be disappointed if there WASN'T a band after he left, given that was his intention all along. In that regard, to me, it isn't at all like so many other bands without original members that are nothing more than tribute/cover bands to my mind. They managed to create something new, evolved and yet similar! Well worth the investment, and hope they tour. Though I don't know what that would be like without Daevid there performing work form the trilogy? I wish them well!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    IT IS AWESOME. Carry on. I cant stop playing it. Great mix of old Gong and new ideas. Kavus and Co. are on it.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

If you will allow a shameless moment of self-publicity, this is a fun interview Dave Sturt and I did with the redoubtable Steve Davis on the new Gong album and the curious legacy we have inherited.

http://youtu.be/4UOAzpL_Mp4

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    If you will allow a shameless moment of self-publicity, this is a fun interview Dave Sturt and I did with the redoubtable Steve Davis on the new Gong album and the curious legacy we have inherited.

(In a Timmy voice) Thank you sir!

Fun interview! Thanks for putting that up.
    I was in the No Daevid no Gong camp until I read something I think Udi posted stating Daevid wanted Gong to move forward, evolve, it always being his intent to carry on after he was gone.
    I realized after watching your interview, the biggest casualty of the digital/download era for me has been the lack of material with the flipping credits! I read credits religiously, knew everyone that was in the band etc. I had no idea you guys had been involved with Gong for so long.
    I have all the albums you're on, and didn't know it.
    I love the title of the album, so fitting, and the music is stellar. Absolutely fantastic. Nailed the Gong sound and feel and brilliantly I might add, without sounding forced or like a knock off.
    I hope you guys come to the US. NYC...

Great stuff Kavus, and I love the new album.

I was in a pub in Stock the other evening and sat to my left was the aforesaid "redoubtable Steve Davis", perusing his Wired magazine. I didn't like to interrupt him, as he looked so thoroughly engaged, so I enjoyed my pint and left him to his musings Next time I'll wear a Magma t-shirt and he may be more receptive!

Wired or The Wire?

Kavus ! That was a fun interview !! Thanks ! I'm still laughing !

Welcome to PE !

I've been here years, Tom. Maybe this is the first time we've been in a room together.
    Hi!

I've been here years, Tom. Maybe this is the first time we've been in a room together.
    Hi!
    That post count thing fooled me !

Just a quick comment guys-- very good indeed--we would have been happy to have signed it!!! and they are all spiffingly lovely chaps.

Wired or The Wire?
    The Wire - My bad rushed typing!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Bought.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.