Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gryphon -Mushrumps

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    It's a transitional album; they were leaving behind the trad-folk grounding of the debut (which I regret, as I loved that stuff) but hadn't yet adopted the full-blown prog-rock approach that they took on Red Queen. As such I feel it's a bit weaker than the albums on either side of it, but it's still great.
    My feelings as well. The title track is great, but the shorter songs are hit and miss.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Nope...2016
    It looks like Richard Harvey is no longer with the band. Too bad (not that they'll be playing anywhere near me anyway).
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

My favorite Gryphon album since it came out. I saw them with Yes in the 70's. I would love to see them now.

I saw them at the Union Chapel, London in 2014 and am going to see them there again.

Here are the dates.

AUGUST:

FRI 12TH – GODALMING, Farncombe Live, St Johns Church, St.John’s Street, Farncombe, Godalming, Surrey GU7 3EJ £20 (adv) £24 (door) Tickets -01483 421520

TUES 16TH – BILSTON, Robin 2, 20-28 Mount Pleasant, Bilston WV14 7LJ www.therobin.co.uk £17.50 (adv) £19.50 (door)

WED 17TH – SOUTHAMPTON, The Talking Heads, 16-22 Polgon, Southampton SO15 2BN 7.30pm £18 adv

SEPTEMBER

Fri. 16th: LONDON, Union Chapel, Compton Terrace N1 2UN £22.50 (adv) + booking fee 7pm

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    "Spring Song" and "Flash in the Pantry" are terrific. Some of the rest may be a bit lightweight but still well worthwhile IMO.

Yes, I enjoyed Side 1 of "Treason", but Side 2 was not too good.

Is Raindance highly regarded??

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

If you go by Gnosis/Prog Archives ratings, it's not particularly highly regarded, though it's not rated poorly. I personally like it. I think the longer piece on side 2 is up to the quality of Red Queen, and there are a few stronger short pieces as well. But it's a bit "fragmented," and kind of all over the place, which I think explains the so-so overall ratings.

As I say, I like it, and rate it just behind Red Queen. I have Treason, which I like parts of but don't find nearly as compelling as either Red Queen or Raindance. I'm not really a fan of the first two. It's been eons since I heard Midnight Mushrumps, but I recall not liking it much. I may revisit it. Same goes for the first one, but I recall liking it even less.

Bill

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
    Not generally, no, but the closing 15 minute track is up their with the 4 pieces on Red Queen. It's REALLY good.
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    But it's a bit "fragmented," and kind of all over the place
    That a good way of putting it. A couple of the short pieces are very short, and a couple are a bit silly. I basically like all of it, even the very poppy "Don't Say Go" (does that remind anyone else of Cat Stevens?), although I feel the Beatles cover ("Mother Nature's Son") is somewhat pointless.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    There's a big gap in there for them to play ProgDay! I'm sure they'd love some sweltering heat to loosen up their Crumhorn. A highly evolved Orangutan can dream, can't he?

My introduction to the band, and I didn't particularly like it then - but I've grown to. "Fontinental Version" is goofy, but also one of their most beautiful and sincere melodies since their impossibly gorgeous rendition of "The Unquiet Grave" from the debut.

The opening track on Raindance is a jumpy, GGiant-like funner, the title track a slow-moving and not very rewarding synth-based ditty, "Don't Say Go" a Nice stab at a hit tune and that lengthy closer one of their very best epics. It's a solid record, albeit a bit less so than the first three. IMHO.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by ProgArtist View Post
    It looks like Richard Harvey is no longer with the band. Too bad (not that they'll be playing anywhere near me anyway).
    Richard Harvey plays nowadays in Hans Zimmer's touring band.

Man that live clip from Union Chapel sounds great! Is it from a live DVD I hope I hope?

Its amazing how much better things sound in a Live setting!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Man that live clip from Union Chapel sounds great! Is it from a live DVD I hope I hope?
    Its amazing how much better things sound in a Live setting!!!!
    Not a DVD as far as I know, but I would own it if it was.

Progman - the studio version is all "there" too, just a different vibe. Hopefully this live version will allow you to dig the album proper. Enjoy man.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Not a DVD as far as I know, but I would own it if it was.
    It looks (and sounds) professionally recorded with at least three cameras. Why would they do that unless they had plans to release the recording? There certainly don't seem to be any "clams" in the clip posted, of the type that might make band members reluctant to release the footage.

Hopefully a DVD is "in production" and is just taking inordinately long to author.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Seems to be all of them.
    I think Richard Harvey (founding and essential member) has left last year. Don't know if he was replaced and by whom. All the other guys are still there.

My favourite used to be red queen but it gradually shifted to Mushroomps- much more varied to my ear.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Hearing the reformed band perform the title suite in London last year is a great memory.
    This helped me like it more

Red Queen To Gryphon Three was their only album that did anything for me.
    They opened for Yes during the Relayer tour, and mna, did the Yes fans give them grief! They only played 40 minutes, with no encore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Red Queen To Gryphon Three was their only album that did anything for me.
    They opened for Yes during the Relayer tour, and mna, did the Yes fans give them grief! They only played 40 minutes, with no encore.
    What a shame. Sounds like an amazing double billing.
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    They opened for Yes during the Relayer tour, and mna, did the Yes fans give them grief!
    I caught that tour as well, and "grief" is right!
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by ProgArtist View Post
    What a shame. Sounds like an amazing double billing.
    Sadly, Gryphon didn't play on the western leg of the tour, so I didn't get to see them. My first exposure to Gryphon was when the King Biscuit Flower Hour devoted two consecutive shows to the Boston Garden (December '74) gig, with the first including half an hour of Gryphon and half an hour of Yes. (The next week's broadcast was all Yes.) Impressed the hell out of me!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I caught that tour as well, and "grief" is right!
    Was there widespread suspicion that the Gryphon guys perhaps were prone to non-macrobiotics, carnal foods and beverages other than herbal tea? I can see the reasons for uproar.

Ach. Graeme Taylor would play Howe's ass off.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM