Thread: FEATURED CD: Dan Weiss Sixteen - Drummers Suite

FEATURED CD: Dan Weiss Sixteen - Drummers Suite

The sound you are hearing is the silence of this thread falling down a bottomless pit...

Anyway, try this on for size - some "free"dom for your 4th of July. Avant-Garde Jazz from drummer Dan Weiss using the large ensemble to create these rather rich, dense, complex compositions with wordless vocals. The music is an homage to and inspired by legendary drummers. This comes from Pi Recordings, who have a history of releasing quality jazz. http://pirecordings.com/releases/

Review from The Free Jazz Collective
    Dan Weiss returns with a slightly larger ensemble and a more-cohesive, driving vision. His previous album, FOURTEEN, was a grand big-band spectacle. On SIXTEEN: DRUMMERS SUITE, Weiss has crafted a glorious tribute to six of the all-time great drummers: Elvin Jones, Max Roach, Tony Williams, Philly Joe Jones, Kenny Clarke, and Ed Blackwell. The source material for each composition (“Elvin,” “Max,” “Tony,” “Philly Joe,” “Klook,” and “Ed”) comes from specific patterns performed by each drummer on a certain recording. And truly, one could spend hours digging into the original recordings, comparing them to these compositions, digging further into each drummer’s discography to pull together the various threads of inspiration that informed how Weiss attempted to shape each track in the style and personality of its namesake. But I want to spend slightly more time on what an exceptional big-band album this is.

“The Drummers Meet” introduces the album’s concept with a Weiss solo that incorporates elements of each drummer’s style. Weiss then abruptly kicks off “Elvin,” the track that inspired this entire project. Sixteen retains many of the same players from Fourteen, with a few additions and substitutions: Stephen Cellucci, Thomas Morgan, Jacob Sacks, Matt Mitchell, Miles Okazaki, Katie Andrews, Anna Webber, David Binney, Miguel Zenon, Ohad Taylor, Jacob Garchik, Ben Gerstein, Judith Berkson, Lana Is, and Jen Shyu.

Morgan introduces “Tony” with a brief solo. About a minute in, the horns lay down the first melodic line, followed by a short piano duel and harp riff. By the time Taylor, Binney, and Zenon begin trading saxophone solos, the rhythm section, along with the vocal trio, is absolutely swinging. Later, Mitchell is heard on glockenspiel backing Okazaki, a pairing that recurs a couple of times throughout the album. And these are the kinds of moments that showcase Weiss’s imagination, dazzling interplays often between instruments you’d never typically match up.

“Philly Joe” opens with a beautiful tabla pattern, eventually settling into a meditative choral stretch that takes up most of the middle section. A Xenakis-inspired horn pattern pulls the track forward into a fascinating blend of new music and wordless vocals, that somehow segues into a Mitchell organ solo, countered by Sacks’s circular piano line. During the last third of “Klook,” Morgan and Weiss perform an evocative duet, teasing a pairing I’d love to hear more from.

At 15 minutes, “Ed” is the undisputed standout. Opening with a free, unaccompanied chorale, the entire band gradually joins in, adding another voice and layer to the floating improvisation. There seem to be shades of color here, rather than discreetly composed lines (though I may be mistaken), as only a few melodic elements repeat. After Weiss joins on cymbals, there’s an extended duet by Sacks and Mitchell, echoing some of the lines heard during the horns’ warmup. The echoing line is picked up again by the saxophones, and the full band comes and go in thick waves, with Binney and Zenon occasionally singing a high alto note above the fray. Weiss plays a couple of tabla-inspired drum solos, but “Ed” somehow manages to showcase all sixteen players at once. Webber’s flute, like Binney and Zenon’s altos, cuts through in later sections, but the group’s heady interplay is what’s being showcased, in many ways an inspired reflection on all the drummers honored here. The album fades out on a contemplative conversation between guitar, glockenspiel, and piano, punctuated by quiet fills from Weiss. It’s an unexpected finish to the thicket that came before, suitably elegiac and thoughtful. - Lee Rice Epstein

Two tracks from Bandcamp:

https://danweiss.bandcamp.com/album/...drummers-suite
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

allow me to join the hole.

Dan's an amazing drummer.

I don't know this particular album, but based on the two tracks, the recording (the recorded sound) seems very 'crowded' to me.
    Last edited by Steve F.; 07-04-2016 at 09:36 AM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

A great drummer indeed, I'm listening to Rez Abbasi's Suno Suno right now and everything he does fits perfectly.

I'm a big fan of the Pi Recordings label, got to check this out...

Posting to avoid thread death and so it shows up in my subscriptions so I can listen to the tracks tomorrow.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Thanks Cozy. I will check this out.

I know Weiss as a sideman with David Binney, Jaime Baum, Ralph Alessi, Chris Potter, Miles Okazaki, and Jon Irabagon. A good player and this looks somewhat interesting, but I dunno 'bout those voices(!?).
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Who is "Klook"?

PS - I like this!

^^^^ Kenny Clarke
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes