Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Music trivia

The question did not state that The Beatles must have also recorded it. Del Shannon's song peaked at 77. "Bad to Me" reached 9. Does 77 qualify as a hit? It was the first to break the Top 100. But I don't consider that much of a hit.

I would agree that Peter and Gordon had the first real hit, then.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

re: Bon Scott's place of birth

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Scotland.
    According to Wikipedia, if we count everyone who actually performed on an AC/DC album, it would appear that only bassist Mark Evans, drummer Peter Clack (who played on some of the Australian edition of High Voltage), and "classic lineup" drummer Phil Rudd were actually Australian. Apparently, most of the drums on High Voltage were played by one Tony Currenti, but Wiki offers no further info about him.

There were several bassists and drummers before Mark Evans and Phil Rudd entered the picture, but most of them didn't stay for very long. The very first bassist in AC/DC, who was only there for a few months, was an American born multi-instrumentalist named Larry Van Kleidt.

Original singer Dave Evans (who did cut one single with the band) and drummer Chris Slade are both Welsh. Simon Wright (who played drums in the late 80's, before getting hijacked by Dio) is English.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    After the Yardbirds dissolved, rhythm guitarist/bassist Chris Dreja went into photography. In particular, he photographed which band for the back cover of their debut album?
    I'm going to totally guess Blind Faith. But maybe Hipgnosis took that.

Maybe Cream? Zeppelin?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Who was the first performer to record and release a Lennon/McCartney song other than The Beatles in the UK? (It was not a hit.)
    I'm guessing Cilla or possibly The Fourmost or Billy J Kramer, can't narrow it down more than that. I know they gave away a handful of songs to the latter two.

^^ I'm guessing The Fourmost with "Hello, Little Girl."
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

If you're thinking of Cilla Black with "Love of the Loved," that came after The Fourmost released "Hello Little Girl." The Beatles did eventually release their Decca audition version, but that's the only recording of them doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm going to totally guess Blind Faith. But maybe Hipgnosis took that.

Maybe Cream? Zeppelin?
    How about picking one answer?

I have to confess, I never heard of that recording. I have a book that likely has it listed, but I could not find the book.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    How about picking one answer?
    Ok, Zeppelin.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Ok, Zeppelin.
    Correct. I believe he photographed other album covers, but that's probably the most famous one, the group that, ironically, was formed by one of Dreja's ex-bandmates.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    ^I was looking for Del Shannnon.

Scotland.
    Heh, the surname is a bit of a giveaway!

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    1. Name the synth pop musician who played keyboards (under a pseudonym) on Def Leppard's Pyromania. Bonus points if you can name the other iconic early 80's rock album said musician also played on.

2. On the back cover of Pyromania, there's a set of five photos, showing each band member individually. But there's something slightly peculiar about one of the photos. What's off about it?

3. Who was the first producer Def Leppard worked with on what eventually became the Hysteria album?

4. Who did Def Leppard's Joe Elliott once introduce as "The man with the curly hair, and the curly guitar lead"?
    2. Rick Allen's? It looks like the bass is on a stand?
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    2. Rick Allen's? It looks like the bass is on a stand?
    Nope it's not Rick Allen's picture. Hint: the peculiarity is in the background of the photo in question.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Thomas Dolby

Foreigner - 4
    Speaking of Dolby, on which prog rock musician's video does he make a cameo appearance?

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Speaking of Dolby, on which prog rock musician's video does he make a cameo appearance?
    Dolby appeared on the "It's My Party" video by Dave Stewart & Barbara Gaskin

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Which progressive rock musician covered one of Dolby's songs on an album?
    Again, Stewart and Gaskin. They covered Dolby's "Leipzig"