Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Progressive Rock is Dead

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    37 zombies are currently browsing this thread
    Hahah... Yeah... I'm literally on autopilot. As if in a trance.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    I hope there is WiFi in the netherworld. www.noprogressbetweenourears.com
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    if it was anything else... weren't you the photographer for that album which was recently released again?
    wait... WHAT?!

did I just read that right? this whole thread was really just a ploy to promote her boyfriend's album?!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

^^ You nailed it! I'm surprised she held her cards for so long. All of this just to posit that Ray Bennett's old music, he from the derivative Flash, is the savior of the dying Progressive rock movement. Oh boy! She should apologize to all of the people that took her seriously!
    Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 07-04-2016 at 06:16 PM.

hell yeah haha Trance for nothing
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    ^^ You nailed it! I'm surprised she held her cards for so long.
    I was waiting for the reveal. Shes nothing if not predicable, She did play it well this time
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I was waiting for the reveal. Shes nothing if not predicable, She did play it well this time
    I couldn't believe how much time people were putting into their posts!

IMO Ray Bennett was the weak link holding Flash back from success.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Well played sir, well played
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    it's all about personal perspective and experience SherryAnn. While *you* may have never heard anything like that before, I, while liking that particular piece you posted, hear the influences right and left. It is not so very original as you think.
    Spot on. It's a dynamic that I've seen on Prog-Rock discussion boards time and time again.

Banned
    It seems that some people use all ways to belittle that contemporary prog. It must be said that at first they denied the existence of a modern progressive rock in general, so they wrote that the modern prog is actually just another form of indie-rock that only uses the sounds of old prog bands, but because it was too absurd, and hence denied in the comments of readers of their mental masturbate, now they claim that contemporary progressive rock is not original but a derivative form; it's also nonsense.

proggosaurus, yes, Ray is my husband and I took that photo on our rooftop in NYC in 2001. It was used as the back cover of the original CD release, and is now the front cover for the digital reissue.

Svetonio, what if you'd never heard the term 'progressive rock'? I see it as a kind of curse that needs to be cast off!!!

I agree, one track isn't enough to tell much about an artist. You can listen to all Ray's solo tracks on youtube—I thought that's what I posted, but apparently you have to go to youtube, type in 'ray bennett whatever falls', then click on 'ten videos'.

These are all the tracks from Whatever Falls—every one different:
    1. La Verite Des Miracles
    * 2. Torn Apart
    * 3. Under the Wheel
    * 4. Diggin With a Spoon
    * 5. Ahh!
    * 6. Stella
    * 7. Changing
    * 8. Davey Goes to the Park
    * 9. Whatever Falls
    * 10. New West

You'll see there's great variety, and no worry about genre. That's what original artists do, and let others worry about what to call it. And that's the point I'm making. People who think in terms of being in a genre, severely limit themselves.

The artists who made such innovative music in the 70's that caused others to call them 'progressive', didn't give it a thought, or try to sound like anything but what they felt.

And that's what COULD enliven this adventurous, innovative, virtuoso music again!

THAT'S my point, and my whole reason for posting here. Not to promote Ray, but to promote the kind of ORIGINAL, UNFETTERED MUSIC he makes. I would like to hear MORE! And I'd like to be part of a community of people who share that desire.

well, the folks here are constantly posting new progressive Rock music which doesn't try to copy the biggest selling, most popular common denominator (big 6 for short) bands of the 70s. There is a TON of great new Prog these days which is not even as derivative as the sample you posted SherryAnn... explore and learn
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Besides Queen already did Flash
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by SherryAnn View Post
    proggosaurus, yes, Ray is my husband and I took that photo on our rooftop in NYC in 2001. It was used as the back cover of the original CD release, and is now the front cover for the digital reissue.

Svetonio, what if you'd never heard the term 'progressive rock'? I see it as a kind of curse that needs to be cast off!!!

I agree, one track isn't enough to tell much about an artist. You can listen to all Ray's solo tracks on youtube—I thought that's what I posted, but apparently you have to go to youtube, type in 'ray bennett whatever falls', then click on 'ten videos'.

These are all the tracks from Whatever Falls—every one different:
    1. La Verite Des Miracles
    * 2. Torn Apart
    * 3. Under the Wheel
    * 4. Diggin With a Spoon
    * 5. Ahh!
    * 6. Stella
    * 7. Changing
    * 8. Davey Goes to the Park
    * 9. Whatever Falls
    * 10. New West

You'll see there's great variety, and no worry about genre. That's what original artists do, and let others worry about what to call it. And that's the point I'm making. People who think in terms of being in a genre, severely limit themselves.

The artists who made such innovative music in the 70's that caused others to call them 'progressive', didn't give it a thought, or try to sound like anything but what they felt.

And that's what COULD enliven this adventurous, innovative, virtuoso music again!

THAT'S my point, and my whole reason for posting here. Not to promote Ray, but to promote the kind of ORIGINAL, UNFETTERED MUSIC he makes. I would like to hear MORE! And I'd like to be part of a community of people who share that desire.
    Why didn't you just say I'm Ray Bennett's wife, I like his music, do you guys know anything else new that sounds like it? Why the whole manipulative, roundabout, wild goose chase?

Quote Originally Posted by SherryAnn View Post
    Methinks the lady doth protest too much.
    Ian

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Why didn't you just say I'm Ray Bennett's wife, I like his music, do you guys know anything else new that sounds like it? Why the whole manipulative, roundabout, wild goose chase?
    Ease up, let's not read too much into things. I think if the point was to promote a CD, things would have been handled differently. I might be wrong, but let's give the benefit of the doubt.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Well, it was an interesting conversation regardless. Lots of good points made. And while we are promoting music let me just add this ...

Just kidding.
    Still alive and well...

And while we are promoting music let me just add this ...

Just kidding.
    I already have that one.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I already have that one.
    Lesson #1:

"Music promotion cannot sound like a protest."
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Ease up, let's not read too much into things. I think if the point was to promote a CD, things would have been handled differently. I might be wrong, but let's give the benefit of the doubt.
    Well, she had that two years ago. That's why several knew what was up.

The reality is that she has turned off more people because of her "approach" than otherwise may have been interested. Now she has lost that privilege (again). I suppose when apathy reigns, one must resort to these tactics just to get attention.

This thread is dead. Long live Progressive Rock.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.