Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brand X - Masques

I'd like to add to this thread but it's all been said. Take all the positive comments about this album and put them next to my name. I love Masques and feel it sits proudly alongside Moroccan Roll and Unorthodox Behaviour.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    The name of almost every Brand X album has been invoked in here so far, but let me say, DON'T MISS Missing Period.

If you need to add one more vote for Masques just take mine: my favorite BX album by far.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I own Masques and I'm not sure how I rate it. What I really need to do, based on comments here, it go back and listen again.

Quote Originally Posted by MJBrady View Post
    Masque is my personal favorite of the band's discography large in part because of the drumming. The compositions seem to have a bit more technical precision ala RTF, the album is far less jammy than the bulk of their earlier work and manages to showcase the talents of keyboardist Peter Robinson, as well as the rest of the band. The Poke,
    Deadly Nightshade, Ghost of Mayfield lodge, all rate as some of their best moments.
    this just about sums it up for me as well
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

TBH, for me , the only BX I deem worthy of keeping are UB, MR and the Live one (and the Missing Period archives)...

I can do without the rest.... including this one - though it's the best of the rest.
    Last edited by Trane; 07-15-2016 at 03:45 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Count me in as well...Burgi is killer on this! I'd say second after Collins among the other drummers they had.His sound is really great!
    I like Burgi but for their style I can't say he's better than Kenwood Dennard or Mike Clark. His career worked out well though, graduating from playing in Moving Out to playing with Billy Joel a few years ago.

I haven't heard their music in a long while. Masques registers fond memories and I do remember playing Deadly Nightshade on my show at our college radio station. I loved all of their records and probably played the live album the least. Maybe that's the one I'll play first when I get my turntable running again...

Deadly Nightshade may be their finest moment imo.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I see Masques as more of their "fusion by numbers" album. They definitely toned down the trippiness while ramping up the polish. The sound is all around tighter and more cohesive thanks to the arrangements and in large part to Burgi's drumming which has that American/fusion precision. As someone said earlier it features some of the band's most blazing playing especially from Goodsall on Deadly Nightshade. Which is great, but it is also missing some of the inspiration, originality and insanity of the first couple of albums. I've grown to like the album a lot, but for me it doesn't have the depth that made the first albums special.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    I see Masques as more of their "fusion by numbers" album. They definitely toned down the trippiness while ramping up the polish. The sound is all around tighter and more cohesive thanks to the arrangements and in large part to Burgi's drumming which has that American/fusion precision. As someone said earlier it features some of the band's most blazing playing especially from Goodsall on Deadly Nightshade. Which is great, but it is also missing some of the inspiration, originality and insanity of the first couple of albums. I've grown to like the album a lot, but for me it doesn't have the depth that made the first albums special.
    This articulates my feelings well. Though I might like it more than you.

Really though, if a fan you pretty much need to have it.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    Couldn't have said it better, really...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.