Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Glam Rock!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Originally Posted by Trane
    Mmmmhhh!!!... You probably know best (or better than me) about MTV's birth, but I had an idea it was sooner than that....
    Unless Canada's MuchMusic channel predated MTV...
    MTV was the first "all music" television network. I believe MuchMusic started in 94. There was a point in the late 90's when we were getting MM on our cable system here. At the time, MuchMusic was described Stateside as "like MTV, only they play music" (MTV was already a decade into it's "network decay" phase of it's existence by that time). Anyway, I seem to recall they did an "80's Flashback" weekend, where they played the first day's worth of programming that MM aired, which apparently included the "world premiere" of one of Rush's Grace Under Pressure videos (The Enemy Within, I think?).

Not in your dreams buddy ... even if you made a typo confusing 84 and 94, MuchMusic was around in the very early 80's...

BTW, I wasn't even around in 94 in Canada (left in 89), so most likely I wouldn't even know of its existence if it was created after I left...

Originally Posted by Trane
    But I distinctly remember seeing videos of Yes' Drama album, and the filmed footage on KC's Discipline 40th anniv (but that was distictly a MM feature) as the albums were released... in 1980
    You sure you're not thinking of The New Music, CHUM-TV's music program, which began in 79 (and later in the 80's jumped over to MM)?
    Well the New Music did evolve into MuchMusic if I remember well (and it was sometimes excellent) >> Jeannie Beckers and I always forget the dude's name, both were definitely knowledgeable
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The USA never took to Glam ...Jobriath was proof of that . Peter Frampton & John Paul Jones played on his albums but he still couldn't sell a record in his native country !
    The Starz were another example !

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    The USA never took to Glam ...Jobriath was proof of that . Peter Frampton & John Paul Jones played on his albums but he still couldn't sell a record in his native country !
    Wasn't Jobriath also hyped out the wazoo for months before his first album came out? Wasn't there talk from his manager of positioning him in the same mouthful as Elvis and The Beatles and suggestions that he was "the real deal" whereas Bowie was supposedly "just a poseur". And let's not forget he was also openly gay, which probably also worked against him at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Not in your dreams buddy ... even if you made a typo confusing 84 and 94, MuchMusic was around in the very early 80's...
    Not according to Wikipedia. And not according to how MM presented it's own history during those flashback weekend deals, either. According to Wikipedia, the network first went on the air on 31 August, 1984: "The first video played on MuchMusic was "an early music-to-film synchronization short from the 1920s which featured Eubie Blake performing Snappy Songs." The first video made specifically for television air play was Rush's "The Enemy Within"."

Not according to Wikipedia. And not according to how MM presented it's own history during those flashback weekend deals, either. According to Wikipedia, the network first went on the air on 31 August, 1984: "The first video played on MuchMusic was "an early music-to-film synchronization short from the 1920s which featured Eubie Blake performing Snappy Songs." The first video made specifically for television air play was Rush's "The Enemy Within"."
    OK, I guessed I should've checked beforehand... But the post I was reacting to was saying 94, not 84

but if you look at The New Music on wikipedia, you'll see that its stakeholders were MuchMoreMusic and Chum Ltd (owner of the FM and AM radios)... though the TV partner changed when it morphed into MuchMusic, passing from the very local City-TV to the national CTV network....
    So I admit those days were pretty fuzzy and fizzy for me (killer Black Afghan going on in those years , to replace the disappeared Red Lebanese)

.... soo
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    (killer Black Afghan going on in those years , to replace the disappeared Red Lebanese)

.... soo
    ...if it were for oiled-up Afghan, let it sleep the Lebanese my friend...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    ...if it were for oiled-up Afghan, let it sleep the Lebanese my friend...
    Early 80's was a different era than today... where I'd rather not touch anything I didn't grow myself (North Holland permitting) in the last two decades...

Provided you sleep next to it at harvest time, to stop the burglars doing it for you, that is....