Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEATURED CD: Radiohead - In Rainbows

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscipline View Post
    Yawn, who cares? Haven't made a great one since OK Computer. Probably should have stopped then.
    I care. Because they have done their best work AFTER OK Computer.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiscipline View Post
    Yawn, who cares? Haven't made a great one since OK Computer. Probably should have stopped then.
    They've been consistently good to great OKC, surprised you summoned the energy to post
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I love this album and for some strange reason the vinyl sound outshines the CD by miles.
    Still alive and well...

The vinyl is my listen of choice with this one, too. Nigel Godrich really outdid himself with the production. And the band brought the jams! It's one of those rarefied Who's Next-type albums that plays like a greatest hits. There are higher points elsewhere ("Paranoid Android" is one of the best prog rock songs the '70s), but between "Jigsaw Falling into Place", "Reckoner", "Weird Fishes / Arpeggi", "All I Need", and "Bodysnatchers" they were absolutely on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Nador View Post
    The vinyl is my listen of choice with this one, too.
    Sadly, my vinyl is warped and stamped off-center. It was a gift, so there was no returning it. I just have the download that I opted to pay $1 for.

I've been a Radiohead fan for years! I think In Rainbows is their best work ever. When I go back and listen to OK Computer, I can hear their youth (which is cool....) - - In Rainbows sounds like it was made by men.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I know I should just listen to it, but is it prog? I heard a Radiohead song on the radio today (in a rental car) and it just sounded like an average pop song - no idea what album it was from.

Check out their "Live from the basement" sessions. "King of Limbs" with the two drummers - get some Yes like vibes happening. Also the sounds are reminiscent of the Old Progressive bands. Old modular sounding synths and melotrons.
    But - I would say they are Prog like Kate Bush or Peter Gabriel may be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I know I should just listen to it, but is it prog? I heard a Radiohead song on the radio today (in a rental car) and it just sounded like an average pop song - no idea what album it was from.

Banned
    I know I should just listen to it, but is it prog? (...)
    Of course not.
    I would say ART ROCK (the albums like King of Limbs, Kid A etc); their recent album is recorded in 'post-progressive' style; though, there are a number of way more interesting post-progressive albums released recently; Radiohead are extremely overrated band imo.

By the way, my favourite song from In Rainbows is the opening 15 Step; a nicely crafted electronic track, but nothing special imo.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 07-13-2016 at 12:43 AM.

No.

It's so much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Sadly, my vinyl is warped and stamped off-center. It was a gift, so there was no returning it. I just have the download that I opted to pay $1 for.

There are two vinyl editions, one apparently sounds great (the 45 rpm limited edition). I unfortunately bought the other 33rpm version. Sounds flat with very little dynamics to my ears. Shouldve read the reviews, which state the same.