Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prog tribute bands/artists: Who's good and who's not.

ZPZ which I believe is now called Dweezil Zappa Plays Whatever the F*ck He Wants. His band is every bit as good as just about any band that FZ put together, the only real difference is that while Dweezil is technically an amazing guitarist, he hasn't developed the feel that FZ had in soloing. Of course not many can play like FZ did.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Funny coincidence... I'm currently trying to put together a Rush tribute band. From what I've seen out there, competition is not that fierce. I have an uncanny knack for sounding almost exactly like Geddy - and I'm a bass player. In fact, my username here is due to my rather unique voice. I can sound like Geddy - The old one, the one with a range.
    I think you are on to something. With Floyd, Genesis, etc., all having tributes that currently sell out theaters worldwide, why not Rush? There is clearly still enough demand for their music in a live setting. If there is indeed little competition, I would go for it.

And you could tour for years based on the different eras and setlists without anyone getting tired of it.

Fayrewether is a really good Genesis tribute band from Ohio. They also do some Tull stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ9EKzSYvVk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16CJBCbVhhE

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Never seen them myself, but could it have been Wild Child?
    That name does not really ring a bell, but not sure. Seems like they used the word "doors" in their name, but could be wrong on that too.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I think you are on to something. With Floyd, Genesis, etc., all having tributes that currently sell out theaters worldwide, why not Rush? There is clearly still enough demand for their music in a live setting. If there is indeed little competition, I would go for it.

And you could tour for years based on the different eras and setlists without anyone getting tired of it.
    There do seem to be quite a few Rush tribute acts out there if you google it. I have never seen any of them, but quite a few pop up.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    There do seem to be quite a few Rush tribute acts out there if you google it. I have never seen any of them, but quite a few pop up.
    There is one in the St. Louis area called Thunderhead that I have seen a couple times and really enjoyed...

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    The Watch do some fabulous renditions of Genesis songs & setlists, however, I truly believe that The Watch are much better playing their own originals. I have all of their albums & their original music is definitely their greatest strength IMO
    I totally agree. They are great at covering the Genesis stuff (and do a real "die-hard fan" selection of rarities too, not just the usual big songs), but when I saw them a few years back I was wishing there was more of their own material in the set. I really like their stuff.

I wonder if anyone remembers a band from around these parts back in the early 90s called Over The Garden Wall, who used to play a lot around Ontario and maybe Quebec... they did a selection of Genesis tracks from throughout their career as well as a couple of Phil & Peter solo tracks. I remember they did "Digging In The Dirt" for example.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Not really prog perhaps, but lets go for The Beatles with The Analogues

Start Making Sense

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I totally agree. They are great at covering the Genesis stuff (and do a real "die-hard fan" selection of rarities too, not just the usual big songs), but when I saw them a few years back I was wishing there was more of their own material in the set. I really like their stuff.

I wonder if anyone remembers a band from around these parts back in the early 90s called Over The Garden Wall, who used to play a lot around Ontario and maybe Quebec... they did a selection of Genesis tracks from throughout their career as well as a couple of Phil & Peter solo tracks. I remember they did "Digging In The Dirt" for example.
    I saw Over the Garden Wall a bunch of times. I'm pretty sure this stretched back well before the early '90s.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I saw Over the Garden Wall a bunch of times. I'm pretty sure this stretched back well before the early '90s.
    Probably. I just remember seeing them around '92, when I was of legal age to go to bars. Even had a couple of bootleg cassettes of them! There was another popular Zeppelin tribute at that time called The White, who played around here a lot.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Probably. I just remember seeing them around '92, when I was of legal age to go to bars. Even had a couple of bootleg cassettes of them! There was another popular Zeppelin tribute at that time called The White, who played around here a lot.
    Yep. The White were excellent. Saw them a Barrymore's in Ottawa.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Yep. The White were excellent. Saw them a Barrymore's in Ottawa.
    Did they have originals too? My memory of them is hazy...

Quote Originally Posted by dlm View Post
    Fayrewether is a really good Genesis tribute band from Ohio. They also do some Tull stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ9EKzSYvVk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16CJBCbVhhE
    I'd see 'em regularly in the late 70's. They always opened their sets at the time with the Sensational Alex Harvey Band's Man in the Jar. They opened for UK at the Painesville Agora in 1979...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Wow Jed. That's a blast from mine-and your-past!

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    Wow Jed. That's a blast from mine-and your-past!
    Yeah, I saw them a few times - did we see each other at those shows? I remember seeing some totally square "American Psycho" type dudes drunk off their asses at one of the shows at Rock & Roll Cafe.

I'll put a vote in for G2 - great English outfit focusing mainly on mid-period Genesis.

What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?

Hmmm... If I have to champion a band, it's Canada's Classic Albums Live. I've seen them do spot on versions of The White Album, Abbey Road, Rubber Soul, Animals, Dark Side Of The Moon, Are You Experienced?, Let It Be & several others. Impeccable.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Hmmm... If I have to champion a band, it's Canada's Classic Albums Live. I've seen them do spot on versions of The White Album, Abbey Road, Rubber Soul, Animals, Dark Side Of The Moon, Are You Experienced?, Let It Be & several others. Impeccable.
    Saw them do DSOTM a few weeks ago. Very good, and they had a nice stage manner too.

Did they have originals too? My memory of them is hazy...
    That's two hazy memories - I only remember them playing Zep.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Musical Box and Australian Pink Floyd are pretty good.
    Agreed two A+ bands in every way... the differences are TMB is an exact re-creation of what Genesis did on 3 specific tours from the Peter era (Yes one Trick tour as well). Aussie Floyd plays the music superbly but they pick and choose what they want to play mixing all eras. Their light show is AMAZING!

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    A buddy of mine saw them do 2112 and he said it was practically flawless.