Thread: ABC - The Lexicon of Love II (2016)

ABC - The Lexicon of Love II (2016)

I searched to see if this has been posted yet so, in case I missed it somehow, please merge:

As a huge fan of the 1983 album, I was very excited when I heard about this sequel and im sure i am one of the first to get it.

Anyway, after repeated listenings, I'll say this:

Unlike the first album, there are no real standout individual tracks (to me) but, as a complete album, its easily one of the best pop albums to come out so far this century...and, like the first album, I think fans of Prog can have an appreciation for it....What its missing is Trevor Horn and enough "real" playing (i.e. its just a slight tad too sterile although the electronic sequencing/ wav edited parts that are there are done well enough to trick many folks into thinking those particular parts are real) to really put it over the top. Martin Fry's vocals are still excellent, although his "po-noun-cing ev-e-ry syl-la-ble" delivery tends to drive me crazy sometimes

Last edited by klothos; 06-28-2016 at 03:20 PM.

It's horrible. I was so excited about it then totally disappointed when I heard it. There is none of the edge, grit or electric synth of the first one. There is far too much orchestration, and far too many strings, it sounds like an 80s Des O'Connor xmas album. Overall, it actually sounds old fashioned and well late, in that it sounds like it was released in about 86 at the height of the faux jazz wave, alongside Sade, Everything But The Girl, Carmel, Working Week etc.

The only track on it that is half decent and which I like is, The Ship of the Seasick Sailor.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    It's horrible. I was so excited about it then totally disappointed when I heard it. There is none of the edge, grit or electric synth of the first one. There is far too much orchestration, and far too many strings, it sounds like an 80s Des O'Connor xmas album. Overall, it actually sounds old fashioned and well late, in that it sounds like it was released in about 86 at the height of the faux jazz wave, alongside Sade, Everything But The Girl, Carmel, Working Week etc.

The only track on it that is half decent and which I like is, The Ship of the Seasick Sailor.
    I liked it Peter...what can I say?

I REALLY REALLY wanted to like it...but sorry

I guess I’ll wait for Beauty Stab II.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I am siding more with Klothos than PeterG. I loved the first album, and was looking forward to this when I read about the sequel. Initially it didn't grab me, but I've played it through quite a few times and I think it stands up, sure there are no "singles" like the original, but it has the vibe and is a reasonable attempt at a sequel. I think Trevor would have sprinkled more hit making fairy dust though, but this is good but not fantastic.