Thread: FEATURED CD: Djam Karet - Burning the Hard City

FEATURED CD: Djam Karet - Burning the Hard City

It's been 25 years since the release of this early gem in Djam Karet's catalog. It's hard to believe these guys have actually been recording music for nearly 35 years now.

Review by ProgArchives
    I'm perplexed as to the low ratings given to this amazing band.Thankfully Cesar Inca and Sean Trane both rate this one very highly as do I. This particular record has more aggression in it then their other albums do.This in part due to the fact that they released this record and "Suspension & Displacement" at the same time.This one is mostly hard and heavy, while the latter is spacey and atmospheric. Kind of what OPETH did in releasing "Damnation" and "Deliverance" at the same time.There are still the atmospheric moments on this disc but it's not like the previous record "Reflections From the Firepool" where we have a nice balance. Now having said all of that I love hard and heavy ! In the liner notes the band describes this album as a "classic instrumental progressive rock that is angry, powerful and relentless in it's pursuit of rhythmic intensity and passionate soloing".

"At The Mountains Of Madness" features lazy guitar melodies for 2 minutes before some great bass takes over, then they all join in.There is another change before 4 minutes as all of a sudden we have a jazz feel. Some incredible guitar follows, eventually leading us to some heavy, experimental guitar passages to the end of the song. "Province 19 : The Visage of War" is the darkest and heaviest song on the album.There is a letting up at one point but not for long as the guitars rule this song in a heavy handed way, including some blistering solos. "Feast of Ashes" is a song that displays the bands talent for spacey and atmospheric soundscapes. Some good guitar towards the end of the song, but this is for the most part a dreamy, spacey, synth laden feast.

"Grooming the Psychosis" opens with electronic sounds that are followed by a catchy melody. Some raw sounding guitar with drums being more prominant than usual. Guitars take the drivers seat for the rest of the ride. "Topanga Safari" has some fantastic guitar solos and the bass lines are way out in front. Nice. Apparently these guys are from a place called Topanga in California. "Ten Days To The Sand" has a fairly uptempo melody with more amazing guitar throughout. "Burning The Hard City" is my favourite track on this album. It opens with an eerie and haunting soundscape.The guitars and pounding drums break through this sound before being replaced 4 minutes in by FLOYD like sounds with soaring guitars leading the way. Beautiful. A guitar/drum melody sounds great before we get some screaming guitar.

I feel really privileged that I can review such an amazing band and album. And there are more coming, i'm just getting started with this bands body of work. I have to mention again that the album cover art on these re-issues are incredible ! - Mellotron Storm

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Banned
    A beautiful album.

You are now contractually bound to feature "Suspension and Displacement", dude.

"One does not exist without the other."

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    You are now contractually bound to feature "Suspension and Displacement", dude.

"One does not exist without the other."

I was gonna say...

I remember when these came out. I had to buy both together on the strength of Reflections and Ritual which I loved! I turned some friends back in NY on to these guys with Burning. BTHC is definitely DK's 'most in your face' Rock album but it was S&D which *really* made an impression on me. I loved listening to S&D late at night, letting my mind wander into the surreal world they created on that one.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

For many, many years, I greatly preferred S&D, but now I really love them equally.

And especially for their time (1991), pre-dating any kind of a 'progressive rock revival', these were exceptional releases.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Burning was my first DK album and is still my favorite, but they have so many other great albums.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Burning was my first DK album and is still my favorite, but they have so many other great albums.
    This! I enjoy The Devouring and A Night for Baku just as much. The Ritual Continues, The Trip, and Suspension & Displacement, too, and...oh, the hell with it! I love everything by Djam Karet.

(But yeah, BtHC *might* still be my favorite, along with...see, there I go again! )

I don't think DK have put out a bad album in those 30+ years. But Burning continued the amazing winning streak that started with Reflections from the Firepool, and that would continue with the Devouring (probably the CD I reach for the most from this era). Then they slowly changed their sound beginning with New Dark Age to something (a little) less intense and more melodic and cinematic.

I would have to say that the hard-edged trio of Reflections/Burning/Devouring might represent the absolute peak of this almost-always great band.

I've only three DK albums: Burning the Hard City, Recollection Harvest, Suspension & Displacement. Where to next?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I'd say go to The Devouring!

Burning the Hard City is a great release. I really need to give it a spin, and come back to this thread. It's been a while.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I've only three DK albums: Burning the Hard City, Recollection Harvest, Suspension & Displacement. Where to next?
    The Devouring and/or A Night For Baku.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I really like Reflections..., Still No Commercial Potential(which I seem to be in the minority but man that's my favourite from them) and Heavy Soul Sessions which is really good as well.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It was also the first DK album I heard (borrowed from my library system), but for some reasons, I never owned it... Something I may have to remedy after I relisten to these YT clips

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    The Devouring and/or A Night For Baku.
    Definitely Baku for me.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Coincidentally revisited "The Devouring" last night, great heavy instrumental album.

This is a favorite of mine. I like how guitar heavy it is.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I probably have it somewhere but am listening to The Heavy Soul Sessions right now.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

This one is actually still my favorite from them, even after all these years.

I'm a really big fan of the album covers on the re-issues of the early albums, which are the ones I have. I'd post a picture if I knew how. The one posted above is the original of course.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    I'm a really big fan of the album covers on the re-issues of the early albums, which are the ones I have. I'd post a picture if I knew how. The one posted above is the original of course.
    Let's solve that...

1. Google the album and title.
    2. Click on the images tab.
    3. Select an image and then click on "view image".
    4. Right click on the image and select "copy image location".
    5. Type [ img ] (but without spaces)
    6. Paste the URL
    7. Type [ /img ] (but without spaces)

BTHC and SAD were the first two I heard, so I kind of have trouble separating them in my mind. They were, of course, meant to be companion albums and showcased the two sides of Djam Karet at the time; the proggy, heavy rock side, and the ambient spacey side. Personally, while I still think both albums are great, I prefer it when the band combines both elements as they do on most of their albums.

My favorite by them is actually Ascension, which is the companion album to New Dark Age in a similar way as SAD is a companion album to BTHC.

That said BTHC is a fantastic album and I can't really think of any DK albums I don't like........they are all excellent.

I actually don't own BTHC (or SAD, for that matter), so I may need to acquire those soon (I borrowed them from a friend for a few months back in the late 90's........I may have burned copies but I don't know what happened to those if I did).

I also haven't listened to anything since Recollection Harvest, so I need to get caught up!

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Of the more recent, I have really enjoyed The Trip, though it is really chill, particularly when compared to Burning the Hard City!

BTW - Ascension is my favorite too.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

The most recent few DK albums haven't quite won me over, but Reflections through Night for Baku are a crazy-awesome stretch of albums.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Of the more recent, I have really enjoyed The Trip, though it is really chill, particularly when compared to Burning the Hard City!

BTW - Ascension is my favorite too.
    Well, sounds like I would probably like The Trip then, which I have been thinking about picking up for some time now. Guess I should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Let's solve that...

1. Google the album and title.
    2. Click on the images tab.
    3. Select an image and then click on "view image".
    4. Right click on the image and select "copy image location".
    5. Type [ img ] (but without spaces)
    6. Paste the URL
    7. Type [ /img ] (but without spaces)

Thanks for that, and for posting the picture, I think that's such a cool album cover just like Reflections From The Firepool that they re-did as well. Maybe I'll get brave and try to post that one later.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten