Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Glass Hammer - Valkyrie

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I like Jon Anderson's voice, and I like Davison's vocals. But I will admit I was puzzled by Glass Hammer's decision to use him as a vocalist. It might have been because they decided to go whole-hog Yes for a couple of albums, I just never really knew the reasoning.

But I feel like it brought Davison to the attention of Yes somehow, and I'm glad that he ended up with Yes. Glass Hammer has had more permutations than a lot of "neo-prog" bands or whatever that have been around as long (as far as vocalists, anyway), and I guess that's a good thing. They kind of always keep you guessing. It seems to have more to do with who they've been working with and who's available, more than musical differences or anything, so it seems genuine, for lack of a better word.

Well, Fred has (if I'm remembering correctly) stated that "If" was meant to be a tribute to Yes, and I bloody brilliant one it was since I think it's a better Yes album than anything that band has done since GFTO.

Perilous is my favorite GH album and to be honest I've never cared for GH vocals for the most part, Susie being the notable exception (Walter Moore was good, but never seemed to really "take off" to me). Of course, I love that guy on Chronomotree and most people don't (even the band seem to think that didn't work out so well).

I had actually stopped listening to GH after hearing Lex Rex, because I really didn't like the vocals very much. I only started again with "If" because it sounded like they would finally have a decent lead singer (even if he did sound like Jon Anderson, whose vocals I love).

I've since gone back and got the albums I'd missed, and find I like them quite a bit. I must say though, that I wish Davison sang ALL the tracks on the reworked material on the 3rd CD of Inconsolable Secret.....he sounds fantastic on the two tracks he sings lead on. That said, I actually think the original album is pretty great as well.

Anyway, these guys have been on auto buy for me since Perilous, and I've been enjoying it all to varying degrees (I like Ode to Echo considerably more than Breaking Of The World, but the latter is still a good album).

Really looking forward to hearing this new one with more singing from Susie.

Pre-Ordered!
    The Hodgson quote (Progarchives) on your site was what made me pull the trigger. (Them thar am some purdy words what makes me right hopeful fur a real good album.)

I am really looking forward to hearing the entire CD. Autographs would be very cool! And I do expect another one of those cool, "Glasshammer" post-it notes stuck to the front just like the last CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Pre-Ordered!
    The Hodgson quote (Progarchives) on your site was what made me pull the trigger. (Them thar am some purdy words what makes me right hopeful fur a real good album.)

I am really looking forward to hearing the entire CD. Autographs would be very cool! And I do expect another one of those cool, "Glasshammer" post-it notes stuck to the front just like the last CD.

We had to buy extra post-it-notes to cover the Valkyrie pre-orders - but have no fear - you'll get your post-it-note! Thank you for noticing!

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Hammer View Post
    We had to buy extra post-it-notes to cover the Valkyrie pre-orders - but have no fear - you'll get your post-it-note! Thank you for noticing!
    They are the perfect example of how something very small can make a big impression.
    Thanks for the MUSIC!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I buy the GH releases directly from the band so I can amass a collection GH post-it notes.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    I buy the GH releases directly from the band so I can amass a collection GH post-it notes.
    ...and to be sure all the ducets go into their coffers directly.

Just got notice that 'Glass Hammer has sent you a package'. I wonder what it could be ......

I got the same notice...estimated delivery three days...just in time for the weekend! Thanks Glass Hammer!

Old man of prog
    Waiting for my CD but hoping/praying Glass Hammer will put a Hi Res version up on bandcamp.

pleaspleasepleasepleasepleaseplease......

Music like theirs' is meant to be heard that way.

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    Waiting for my CD but hoping/praying Glass Hammer will put a Hi Res version up on bandcamp.

pleaspleasepleasepleasepleaseplease......

Music like theirs' is meant to be heard that way.
    I second that emotion.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Thirded .....

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    I got the same notice...estimated delivery three days...just in time for the weekend! Thanks Glass Hammer!
    As predicted...I just received mine in time for weekend listening!

And as promised, a nifty "Glass Hammer" Post-It (TM) note with hand written "Thank you," a cool photo business card, and all the autographs inside. Tres cool!

Thanks so much for the new CD!! Cannot wait to spin it at loud volume levels!

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    As predicted...I just received mine in time for weekend listening!

And as promised, a nifty "Glass Hammer" Post-It (TM) note with hand written "Thank you," a cool photo business card, and all the autographs inside. Tres cool!

Thanks so much for the new CD!! Cannot wait to spin it at loud volume levels!
    Glad you have it and hope you enjoy it!

I'll let you know! Thanks again!

Fortunately had a half-day conference, arrived home at 3 to find the new GH in my mailbox. Just blasted it. Great work gents and lady.

Got my copy on Friday. Initially very promising (no surprise there) though time will be required to take its full measure and where it sits in the overall GH hierarchy for me. I know Fred and Steve are often a bit dismissive of their vocal skills and not being 'real' singers, but I think they sound just fine on this record. SB sounds really good.

Old man of prog

Thank you!

If we bought the physical album, do we still have to buy the hirez, or does it come 'along for the ride'? BTW, it's fine either way, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    If we bought the physical album, do we still have to buy the hirez, or does it come 'along for the ride'? BTW, it's fine either way, just curious.
    Hi-rez files are a separate purchase. Keep in mind we are brand new to bandcamp and haven't had much time working with it. That might be something we can do on future releases.
    Thanks!
    Steve

No worries. Always happy to 'support the cause' . Would love more hirez releases.

Consider it purchased!
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

CD arrived today! Spinning now, and it's great!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    CD arrived today! Spinning now, and it's great!
    I haven't even gotten shipping notification yet,so pre-sales must have been good!

Just gave this a couple of spins and I'm absolutely blown away. The emotion in the music is so powerful - especially on the last two tracks "Eucotastrophe" and "Rapturo". "Nexus Girl" is great little 3 minute instrumental as well, I'm really digging the drum sound on that one. Susie sounds amazing on her tracks as always, and it's nice to hear Steve and Fred taking over the vocals - I actually prefer them to any of the other male singers they've had on their past albums.

The only track I'm not crazy about so far is the title track, but I'm sure that one will grow on me as well. I'd say that if you are a fan of Perilous or Inconsolable Secret, you'll definitely want to pick up Valkyrie. I can't imagine anyone who enjoys symphonic prog not finding a lot to like on this one.
    Last edited by julioscissors; 09-27-2016 at 10:12 PM.