Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: New KANSAS Album! The Prelude Implicit!

New KANSAS Album! The Prelude Implicit!

KANSAS ANNOUNCES FIRST NEW ALBUM IN SIXTEEN YEARS

ANNOUNCES FIRST NEW ALBUM IN SIXTEEN YEARS
    THE PRELUDE IMPLICIT
    TO BE RELEASED SEPTEMBER 23
    ks
    TO TOUR IN CELEBRATION OF
    THE 40TH ANNIVERSARY OF BREAKTHROUGH ALBUM LEFTOVERTURE
    SEXTUPLE PLATINUM ALBUM TO BE PERFORMED
    IN ITS ENTIRETY

JUNE 21st, 2016 – KANSAS, America’s legendary progressive rock band, will release their intensely anticipated new studio album “The Prelude Implicit” on September 23, 2016. The album is the first new release in 16 years for the band that has sold more than 30 million albums worldwide, and is famous for classic hits such as ‘Carry On Wayward Son’ and ‘Dust In the Wind,’ to progressive epics like ‘Song for America’ and ‘Miracles Out of Nowhere.’

“The Prelude Implicit” features 10 all new tracks written by the band and co-produced by Zak Rizvi, Phil Ehart, and Richard Williams. KANSAS’s signature sound is evident throughout the album. It showcases Ronnie Platt’s soaring lead vocals, David Ragsdale’s blistering violin, Williams and Rizvi’s rocking guitar riffs, the unmistakable sound of David Manion’s B3 organ and keyboards, Ehart’s thundering drums, and Billy Greer’s driving bass and vocals.

KANSAS returned to the studio in January 2016 after signing with Inside Out Music. Says Inside Out founder and president Thomas Waber, “KANSAS is the biggest and most important Prog band to come out of the United States. I grew up listening to them, and their music is part of my DNA. ‘The Prelude Implicit’ undoubtedly adds to their already impressive musical legacy. I can’t stop listening to it, and we are proud to be releasing the album.”

The result of the time in the studio was even more than the band imagined. “This is definitely a KANSAS album,” remarks original guitarist Richard Williams. “Whether it is the trademark Prog epic like ‘The Voyage of Eight Eighteen,’ biting rocker such as ‘Rhythm in the Spirit,’ or mindful ballad like ‘The Unsung Heroes,’ there is something on this album for every kind of KANSAS fan. After years of pent-up creativity, the entire band is very proud of ‘The Prelude Implicit.’”

Lead Vocalist Ronnie Platt adds, “Recording ‘The Prelude Implicit’ was an incredible experience, and I couldn’t be happier with the results. It is my hope that, knowing the intense listeners that KANSAS fans are, the continuity yet diversity of this album will be pleasing to them.”

The album title, The Prelude Implicit means, “Without a doubt, this is a new musical beginning,” explains Ehart. Tattoo artist, Denise de la Cerda, did the oil painting of the front and back cover. “It shows a Phoenix flying from the past into the future.”

“The Prelude Implicit” will be released September 23, 2016, on Inside Out Music and is distributed by RED. The album will be available on CD, Double 180 Gram Vinyl, and digitally on iTunes and Google Play. Pre-order opportunities will be available starting later this summer at KansasBand.com and Amazon.com.

The Prelude Implicit Track Listing:
    1.) With This Heart
    2.) Visibility Zero
    3.) The Unsung Heroes
    4.) Rhythm in the Spirit
    5.) Refugee
    6.) The Voyage of Eight Eighteen
    7.) Camouflage
    8.) Summer
    9.) Crowded Isolation
    10.) Section 60

Clipboard01.jpg

Cover art is a bit different than I expected.

I guess they are like a phoenix with this lineup and all the time that passed since the last album...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sean; 06-21-2016 at 12:29 PM.

I like it!
    I had no idea about it til today. And after waiting this long for a new studio album (which I thought we'd never see again from them), I won't even complain about no Kerry or Rob.

I learned something today: "Rich Williams and Phil Ehart are the only two members of Kansas who have never left the band, and have played on all Kansas' albums." - Wikipedia

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Coincidentally, Neal Morse's next Inner Circle release includes "some demos that I did last year for Kansas. The folks at Inside Out had let me know that Kansas was looking for material and wondered if I would like to submit anything and so I wrote a couple bits and sent them but never heard anything back. We used a few parts of one of the demos on the new Neal Morse Band album. So I had to do some editing on that one so I didn't give any of the stuff on the new album away yet."

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Clipboard01.jpg

I guess they are like a phoenix with this lineup and all the time that passed since the last album...
    Looks like every other album cover from their old label's (Magna Carta) other acts

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I'm not too put off that they'd use the Kansas moniker, but on some level I wish they wouldn't. Yeah I get why they do, but still. I will want to hear it.

nice cover. i remain optimistic about the new album.
    >>>KANSAS’s signature sound is evident throughout the album<<<
    i'm not worried about the album sounding like Kansas,
    i'm just concerned about the album sounding like Kansas covering someone else....

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    i'm just concerned about the album sounding like Kansas covering someone else....

For example, the first review comes out:

"Many of these songs sound like they would have fit nicely on Yes's Heaven and Earth album."

^^^^^
    the thing about Yes' Heaven & Earth is a good example of what i'm talking about. H&E sound like Yes covering someone else.
    i was gonna mention that about but i decided not too, but you brought it up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post

"Many of these songs sound like they would have fit nicely on Yes's Heaven and Earth album."
    ugh please no. I don't want them to sound like a bunch of wimpy old farts yet

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Clipboard01.jpg

I just saw this - Tattoo artist, Denise de la Cerda (http://www.denisedelacerda.com/TATTOO/Tattoo_index.html), did the oil painting of the front and back cover. "It shows a Phoenix flying from the past into the future."

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    ugh please no. I don't want them to sound like a bunch of wimpy old farts yet
    Something tells me the new guys have enough fire in them to prevent the new album from sounding like old farts, i'm thinking it's at least worth a listen. I've always thought of Kansas as an edgier prog-rock band (with the "rock" being the 'merican influence) and i think the new lineup will definitely help out with that.

Coincidentally, Neal Morse's next Inner Circle release includes "some demos that I did last year for Kansas. The folks at Inside Out had let me know that Kansas was looking for material and wondered if I would like to submit anything and so I wrote a couple bits and sent them but never heard anything back. We used a few parts of one of the demos on the new Neal Morse Band album. So I had to do some editing on that one so I didn't give any of the stuff on the new album away yet."
    Thanks for that info. So that kind of shows that the Kansas guys couldn't come up with enough material of their own. I think when plans for a new album were first announced they sounded quite confident that they would be able to produce a new album without Livgren or Walsh writing it, but looks like in the end they did need outside writers. And most likely Rizvi wrote a fair bit which is at least partly why he was added to the lineup - now that he's in the band they can't call him an outside writer. Though to be fair I'm sure the rest of the guys contributed as well.

Neal Morse would have been a good choice actually. I always had this theory that when Kansas reformed in 1985 they should have gotten him in the band (instead of the other Morse) - he would have been a great replacement for Livgren, providing guitar, keyboards, vocals and of course the ability to write some great melodic prog.

John Boegehold
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVander View Post
    Thanks for that info. So that kind of shows that the Kansas guys couldn't come up with enough material of their own. I think when plans for a new album were first announced they sounded quite confident that they would be able to produce a new album without Livgren or Walsh writing it, but looks like in the end they did need outside writers. And most likely Rizvi wrote a fair bit which is at least partly why he was added to the lineup - now that he's in the band they can't call him an outside writer. Though to be fair I'm sure the rest of the guys contributed as well.

Neal Morse would have been a good choice actually. I always had this theory that when Kansas reformed in 1985 they should have gotten him in the band (instead of the other Morse) - he would have been a great replacement for Livgren, providing guitar, keyboards, vocals and of course the ability to write some great melodic prog.
    After not recording for a decade-and-a-half coming up with material within the band wasn't going to be a problem but initially they were exploring all options before jumping into the studio. They quickly decided to do it on their own which was I'm sure was a smart move. Subjectively speaking though, they had three songs of mine which I submitted early on and it sure would've been cool to hear one of may favorite bands of all time playing one of them haha.

Also, I know I'm in the minority, but as much as I love Steve Morse, I agree he wasn't a good fit with Kansas. That being said, 1985-era Neal was a very different guy musically and probably wouldn't have fit either.

Jon Neudorf
    Was just about to post the press release but Rickenbacker beat me to it. I for one can't wait to hear this!

Regards,
    Jon

Their first album with no songs written by Livgren or Walsh. Very weird. But hopefully every bit as good.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post

Ugh. That would be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVander View Post
    That's an interesting idea, and probably would have resulted in some good music. A very good match.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainforest View Post
    Also, I know I'm in the minority, but as much as I love Steve Morse, I agree he wasn't a good fit with Kansas. That being said, 1985-era Neal was a very different guy musically and probably wouldn't have fit either.
    He gave them a different sound, but I really like the "Steve Morse Kansas."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

He gave them a different sound, but I really like the "Steve Morse Kansas."
    Yep, I thought "In The Spirit of Things" was really good when it was out and thought I might be one of three people listening to it. "Power" had two and almost three radio hits even if "I can't cry anymore didn't chart."

After not recording for a decade-and-a-half coming up with material within the band wasn't going to be a problem but initially they were exploring all options before jumping into the studio. They quickly decided to do it on their own which was I'm sure was a smart move. Subjectively speaking though, they had three songs of mine which I submitted early on and it sure would've been cool to hear one of may favorite bands of all time playing one of them haha.
    I didn't mean to put them down as I'm a huge fan. I really like Billy Greer's stuff with Seventh Key and Ragsdale's solo album is very good too. Native Window didn't do much for me though.
    It just feels like ever since Livgren left they have a history of having to resort to outside writers. I guess we'll have to wait and see how many writing credits Zak Rizvi will have on the album.
    By the way as a fan of your writing for SB I would have loved to see some of your stuff get used by Kansas.

Also, I know I'm in the minority, but as much as I love Steve Morse, I agree he wasn't a good fit with Kansas.
    Love his work with the Dregs, Purple and Flying Colors but not a huge fan of that era of Kansas. And I'm not blaming Steve, it was the 80s and the label and the band themselves wanted radio hits.
    I actually like most of Power quite a bit, I just think that without Livgren's writing, going in a completely different musical direction and not having violin in the band it's hard to think of it as Kansas.

That being said, 1985-era Neal was a very different guy musically and probably wouldn't have fit either.
    Yeah that was just me fantasizing. That's about as dirty as my fantasies get

I felt dirty just reading that!

Will definitely check out camples. Saw them last year and they were better than they had been in a long time.

Long Kansas fan here so will be getting this for sure. Not sure that violin playing should be described as 'blistering' though!

Better than "laid back"! He sure has the chops to blister when he feels the need.

the production is what's really gonna make or break this album.
    In The Spirit Of Things had alot of outside writing, but Bob Ezrin did a good job making it still sound like a Kansas album.