Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Genuine query about Iron Maiden

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    This may surprise a few here (or not), but I think Maiden at its proggiest is their debut album - yes despite the so-called punk-vocalist
    I like Killers' 'Genghis Khan' a lot, the rythm & melody change at 1:45' is awesome! It's by far more enjoyable than the instrumental 'Transylvania' in my book. And I think I even like the straight ballad 'Prodigal Son' as much as 'Transylvania', given its most changing melodic lines (a song which btw would never fit Dickinson's singing style.) But OK, I guess everyone can find his own 'proggiest' tracks, but not 'prog' at all IMO.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Robson View Post
    I like Killers 'Genghis Khan' a lot, the rythm & melody change at 1:45' is awesome! It's by far more enjoyable than the instrumental 'Transylvania' in my book. And I think I even like the straight ballad 'Prodigal Son' as much as 'Transylvania', given its most changing melodic lines (a song which btw would never fit Dickinson's singing style.) But OK, I guess everyone can find his own 'proggiest' tracks, but not 'prog' at all IMO.
    Best track of Killers along with Wrathchild, IMHO
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

There's a lot of great material on those first two albums but I feel it really came together when Dickinson joined the band.

Iron Maiden is about one of the only NWOBHM bands I play anymore and I play them quite a bit. I still listen to Judas Priest but it's always just the pre-British Steel albums. But with Maiden I listen to the first seven albums...and all the albums recorded since 2000.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I suppose it's always in the ear of the beholder, but Iron Maiden don't generally have that cheese factor that I personally associate with 'power metal', despite lyrical similarities. Their musical approach is grittier and earthier.
    I totally get where you're coming from here, when it comes to the "ear of the beholder".

But in the "eye of the beholder", hard to imagine a band with a higher "cheese factor". And believe me, I like to see my Maiden well done with extra cheese.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I didn't find Iron Maiden to be all that cheesyback when, especially not compared to their American metal peers or what passed for hard rock in the MTV dominated '80s and especially no where near as cheesy as the neo-prog scene back then or now.

Formulaic yes, but light on cheese.

Yeah, I've never really thought of Maiden as 'cheesy'. Their artwork and mascot are most certainly tongue-in-cheek. Musically, they are fantastic. The real deal!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    But with Maiden I listen to the first seven albums...and all the albums recorded since 2000.
    Don't miss out though, on the fantastic song "Afraid To Shoot Strangers" from the Fear Of The Dark album!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm a very long time Maiden fan, I first away them on the Killers UK tour in '81 and I've seen them more than any other band.

The reason why they've maintained their success for so long, The Book Of Souls made #1 on the album charts in at least 24 countries, is because they consistently deliver live, every time, without fail.

They were brilliant at Download the other week, despite the weather and their UK tour next year is pretty much bound to sell out.

I wouldn't say Maiden are a Prog band as such but, as has already been said, there is no doubt Prog has always been an influence in their music, right from their first album.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    When I think of cheesy metal I think of Manowar
    Band members included I don't think anyone has ever taken Manowar seriously. I remember once someone calling them nwobhm....LOL!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Band members included I don't think anyone has ever taken Manowar seriously. I remember once someone calling them nwobhm....LOL!
    New Wave of British Chest Hair Metal

Surely, NWOBHM when applied to Manowar stands for New york Wave Of Bad Heavy Metal.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I've never heard any of what I would consider "prog rock" in Maiden.

I have heard however plenty of the elements that have always belonged to hard rock and metal, old and new, and which have later been assumed, it seems, by some prog fans to be prog elements.

It feels as if over the last 10 or 20 years or so, that these elements have been heard by progressive fans, perhaps investigating genres new to them, who have then taken it further (or maybe too far?) and perhaps said, "well that sounds like the prog music of XXX, therefore Maiden must also be prog"
    This again. Sleepless nights over what can't please/possibly be what.

And FWIW, I never considered Iron Maiden "prog" either, nor when I was a hard rock/metal fan during the 80s (I'm not since about 1987) and discovered progressive rock music of the past and present. But a little anecdote to ponder; when I later (in '94) met what I consider to be the biggest Maidenhead on my path and introduced him to some Norwegian bands from the 70s, the one he got most caught up with was Høst, a heavy progressive group who released two very highly regarded albums and became somewhat legendary with collectors in Scandinavia and abroad. Take a listen:

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

wow these guys belong to the Norway thread
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.