Thread: 40 yrs ago Yes Roosevelt Stadium NJ

40 yrs ago Yes Roosevelt Stadium NJ

Oh what the heck, while I'm on a roll with reminiscing about 1976.....I recently posted the thread on the 40th anniversary of the JFK show so tonight is the 40th anniversary of the Roosevelt Stadium show, memorable to those who were there but not in the same sense as the JFK show, which was more of an event in addition to a great Yes show. The Roosevelt Stadium show was a great show but I don't think it stood out from the rest of the tour like the JFK show.......for me, unlike the JFK show which was a couple hour ride from where I was living in North NJ at the time, Roosevelt Stadium was only 20 minutes or so away and I seen many great shows there in the 70s. The interesting thing for me was that my memory always had the JFK show after the Roosevelt Stadium show, but with the internet and how you can look up just about anything these days it wasn't until recent years that I realized it was the other way around. If anyone else was at that show or even lived in the area at the time they might recall how the lasers were big news the next day in the newspapers and radio. For those not familiar with the Stadium it was right in between Newark, NJ and NYC. Newark Airport was right across the river and the flight path for the airport was right over the Stadium so the lasers caused a big stir with the Jets coming in and out of the airport. If I remember correctly the Control Tower had to re route the flights away from the Stadium because of the lasers. I don't recall if that was planned in advance or if it was something the airport was unaware of until it was happening. My vague memory tells me they weren't forewarned about the lasers because it was such a new thing and I don't think it was thought of as a problem. I also vaguely remember hearing the lasers were hitting the Twin Towers across the river in NYC..........anyone else have memories of this show before the thread gets hijacked again

I too attended both shows and quite frankly was equally impressed with both for the most part. While I and friends were in attendance at Roosevelt Stadium my brother who has an aversion to crowds stayed at home with his wife where they listened to the live simulcast on WNEW-FM. He informed me after the event about the DJ's reporting the legendary lasers reflecting off the WTC. All in all one of the finest concert experiences of my rather enviable concert going career. Man those gentlemen were in tip top form all around and I feel blessed to have been there. Thanks for bringing it up. The absolute icing on the cake for that weekend was That the very next day we attended the Starcastle- Gentle Giant show at Central Park. Starcastle were touring their first album from which "Lady of the Lake" was receiving lots of airplay and Gentle Giant were of course- Gentle Giant, perfection. The rather cheesy special effects employed by Starcastle seemed pretty anticlimactic after the cosmic, psychedelic display at the Yes concert the previous evening. I am surprised that more people do not recount having attended both shows on that memorable weekend of Progressive Music at it's height. I'm certain that many people went to both shows. A truly great memory. Thanks. Blessings.
    Last edited by samdelrussi; 06-18-2016 at 12:18 AM. Reason: additional information.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I was an enthralled 16 year old at the show.

Wow 40 years already? I was at the Roosevelt Stadium show. From what I remember, it was a great show. I had a friend record it to 8 track off the radio and when they went extinct, I have it on CD. I listened to it yesterday. Ritual and Gates were awesome, Howe and Squire were tearing it up. Lazers were great. Thanks for bringing me back there. It was a great time.

I also went to that show which I believe Patrick Moranz was the keyboardist. I remember the lazer light show was awesome
    And Steve Howe was on fire playing the peddle steal guitar. Also if I remember correctly Jon Anderson came out
    During the afternoon and played a solo set as it was hot and many fans were there since they open the gates at noon.
    There is also a bootleg of the WNEW broadcast. It any event it was a classic concert from progs golden era.

Probably my favorite Yes bootleg.

My first concert and probably still my favorite. I had a cassette of the wnew-fm simulcast that I about wore out.

I remember a friend with a reel to reel of the show. At the time I was knowledgable of Fragile and The Yes Album. When I heard all the Ritual and Gates stuff live with Moraz I was pretty amazed at how spacey sounding it was compared to what I was familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by marltonfan View Post
    I also went to that show which I believe Patrick Moranz was the keyboardist. I remember the lazer light show was awesome
    And Steve Howe was on fire playing the peddle steal guitar. Also if I remember correctly Jon Anderson came out
    During the afternoon and played a solo set as it was hot and many fans were there since they open the gates at noon.
    There is also a bootleg of the WNEW broadcast. It any event it was a classic concert from progs golden era.
    If I remember correctly, Jon came out in the afternoon and played the flute and as he called it "the electric slinky" He looked so stoned. lol.
    Last edited by onward; 06-19-2016 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by onward View Post
    If I remember correctly, Jon came out in the afternoon and played the flute and as he called it "the electric slinky" I looked so stoned. lol.
    It had rained a lot and looked like concert might be postponed---hot day with thunderstorms---Jon came out and sang "High vibration go on"---which would be the opening section of their next album---I remember he came out to assure the crowd the concert would go on---now that the rain had stopped. First time I heard High vibration......amazing.

I was there (and plenty of other Roosevelt Stadium gigs!). I recall being so amazed as the lasers touched each of us in the crowd, how we reached out to "grab" them. Simply an amazing show. I know it was left off the WNEW simulcast, but the encore that night was a cover of the Beatles' "I'm Down" which I believe showed up on one of the box sets. Amazing band at the peak of their powers.

Quote Originally Posted by jgprogbear View Post
    . I know it was left off the WNEW simulcast, but the encore that night was a cover of the Beatles' "I'm Down" which I believe showed up on one of the box sets. .
    Hmmm, I recall listening to and taping the WNEW simulcast of Roosevelt Stadium, and "I'm Down" was definitely on there! A definite "WTF?" moment.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Hmmm, I recall listening to and taping the WNEW simulcast of Roosevelt Stadium, and "I'm Down" was definitely on there! A definite "WTF?" moment.
    Yup that is true---also thought WTF? And there was a news story about the green lasers during Soon---how they could be seen for miles----those were the days of Yes greatness and gravitas.

6/16/76 Yes-Nassau Coliseum $5.50

6/17/76 Yes-Roosevelt Stadium $7.50

6/18/76 Gentle Giant-Starcastle-Central Park $3.50

Total Cost $16.50

Imbedded Buried Memories $$Priceless

Due to Enjoyment Enhancement Substances...
    Most memories deeply imbedded..
    Good thing for ticket stubs.....

Oh and throw in Grateful Dead 6/14/76- Beacon Theater..
    Did this guy know how to rock or what ?? What a week

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prognosticator View Post

Due to Enjoyment Enhancement Substances...
    Most memories deeply imbedded..
    Good thing for ticket stubs.....
    My wife and I recently enjoyed an anniversary dinner and brought our ticket stubs boxes encompassing almost 40 years of concert-going together. We found several for shows we have absolutely no recollection of attending. "Hey, we saw Todd and Utopia at the Fine Arts Center at Umass in '81? News to me!" Must have been the Mexican Quaaludes...

Banned
    The only stadium concert I ever attended was The Grateful Dead with Bob Dylan and Tom Petty opening up at JFK.

I can still remember the incredible stream of neon fruit that was continually streaming out of Dylan's head during his entire set. It was a hot as hell summer's day and a highlight was when a beautiful woman poured a gallon of cold water over my head. I can't tell you what a rush that was and how good it felt at the time.