Thread: 70's British group who released their album in Germany

70's British group who released their album in Germany

I'm having trouble remembering the name of a proto-prog British group from the early Seventies that, like Steel Mill, Odin and others, released their only album in Germany. In this case it had a doomy cover and a side long title track, about death or dying, if I remember correctly. It's kind of slow and Pink Floyd like. Years later, some members reunited and the band has kept on releasing albums in a hard rock vein.

Janus, Gravedigger
    Last edited by mogrooves; 06-17-2016 at 10:22 AM.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

nektar, no??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    nektar, no??
    Quote Originally Posted by yoyiceu View Post
    .....their only album.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Janus, Gravedigger
    Thanks. That's the band I was looking for.

There’s also cwt., Grail and Hallelujah. I was going to mention Visitor 2035, but there was that indie release Cain! A Modern Mystery Play, which is technically a Visitor 2035 album (at the very least, they’re the band that plays on it).

Also: Gravedigger is not Janus’ only album, at least not anymore.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post

Also: Gravedigger is not Janus’ only album, at least not anymore.
    Yes, I know, That's why I wrote originally that they reunited in the nineties and have released several albums since then.

Although the question has been answered, I'll just mention my favorite band that meets the criteria (UK proto-prog band with a sole German release): Diabolus.

What about Nova? Italian supergroup, based in London, whose second LP "Vimana"included Phil Collins, Percy Jones and Narada Michael Walden.

Beggar's Opera
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Beggar's Opera
    Which is interesting, since Martin Griffiths's son Philip's band Poor Genetic Material (Martin has guested a lot on their albums) is all German except for Phil & based in Germany (Phil also (formerly?) being the lead vox in Alias Eye, another German band).

I posted this not so much for you, CS.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

There were quite a few 'exiled' bands in the Seventies... German band Message had two British members, same for Italian band Sensations Fix... Greek band Axis lived and recorded in France, and American (New York) band Sweet Smoke lived and recorded their three albums in Germany.

Don't know about Scottish band Beggar's Opera, though. I thought only late in their career they started recording albums that were only released in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyiceu View Post
    There were quite a few 'exiled' bands in the Seventies... German band Message had two British members
    Message were originally fronted by two Brits: singer Tom McGuigan and guitarist Allan Murdoch. Murdoch kept the Message flame alive through several line-up changes after McGuigan left.

same for Italian band Sensations Fix...
    And they moved to the USA, where they recorded two albums (and a third after a name change to Sheriff).

Greek band Axis lived and recorded in France, and American (New York) band Sweet Smoke lived and recorded their three albums in Germany.
    There’s also Marsupilami (UK band transplanted to the Netherlands), Bachdenkel (UK band transplanted to France), Frank Chickens (Japanese duo living and recording in the UK) and Akacis (Latvian band transplanted to the USA). Split Enz (from New Zealand) recorded at least one album (Second Thoughts, produced by Roxy’s Phil Manzanera) in the UK, as did Kiwi folk-singer Shona Laing (who was briefly a member of Manfred Mann’s Earth Band during the end of her time in London).

Don't know about Scottish band Beggar's Opera, though. I thought only late in their career they started recording albums that were only released in Germany.
    Their first four or five definitely had domestic UK releases. Act One even got a US release (on Vervé, it’s the version I own).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...