Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Opeth - new album Sorceress coming later this year

Yes, I lOVE it, seeing them perform it tomorrow night at Radio city. i hear it as a cross of Communion and Watershed. Whatever...its awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    So the album is out today and no one on here is talking about it here...weird.

I've had it for about a week now and love it. I like it more than both Heritage and Pale Communion. It reminds me of a cross between Heritage and Ghost Reveries.

Anyone else hear the album yet? I'm very much looking forward to the special Radio City Music Hall show tomorrow night where they're doing a set of material from Damnation/Deliverance and then a separate regular set.
    Stopping by the store after work to pick up a copy so I hope to hear it tonight.
    <sig out of order>

I listened to the three songs they released and they just bore me now.
    If I find it used I'll buy it for $5 and give the whole thing a shot, but those three songs just didn't do anything for me.
    " My advice is to get them off right after your shoes and before your trousers... that's the sock gap. Miss it and suddenly you're a naked man in socks. No self-respecting woman will let a naked man in socks do the squelchy with her. "

http://thefairlysecretarmy.bandcamp.com/

http://wavesofmercury.bandcamp.com/

Sounds good on a first listen - Strange Brew is a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Yes, I lOVE it, seeing them perform it tomorrow night at Radio city. i hear it as a cross of Communion and Watershed. Whatever...its awesome.
    I'll be there too! There's a signing session at Rough Trade in Brooklyn at noon as well.

I've listened to it 3 times all the way through now. The album as a whole is definitely working for me, though there are a couple of songs that I'm not convinced by yet. I'm sure it'll will continue to grow on me over repeated listenings, but I have a ton of other new music to check out as well.

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    I'll be there too! There's a signing session at Rough Trade in Brooklyn at noon as well.
    Ugh, I have an appointment until noon and Im in CT If you go have fun!!

It's starting to sink in after Five spins.Strange Brew is a Standout.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Only once through for me, but Strange Brew is great. More spins are needed.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    It's starting to sink in after Five spins.Strange Brew is a Standout.
    Glad to see you diggin these guys Nosey. Are you a fan of the older stuff? How far back?

Arrived yesterday (on release date!) ... Great stuff. Not sure how it will rank after some time, but early on, I like it a lot, and any fans of the last couple of albums would like this one too, I'd think.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Glad to see you diggin these guys Nosey. Are you a fan of the older stuff? How far back?
    I got on board with Damnation many years ago.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I'm really digging it and it could well be a contender for my album of the year.

Here's my review, written as a fan of both the older days and the new direction - I hope it's a balanced perspective:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....orceress-2016/

Your review has made me reconsider and give it a full album try... I was disappointed initially by the 3 tracks they released

On one listen the only track that struck me as interesting was Strange Brew...the rest, standard, no new ground covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    I'm really digging it and it could well be a contender for my album of the year.

Here's my review, written as a fan of both the older days and the new direction - I hope it's a balanced perspective:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....orceress-2016/
    This review

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    On one listen the only track that struck me as interesting was Strange Brew...the rest, standard, no new ground covered.
    Shoot, that doesn't sound good?
    I'll just have to try it and make my own decision and if I like it, I guess that's a bonus

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    Your review has made me reconsider and give it a full album try... I was disappointed initially by the 3 tracks they released
    Thank you for reading it. I can understand why some folk might not get past the first few tracks and feel it's not happening, but I approached it by:

- avoiding all teasers and trailers
    - avoiding interviews
    - playing the cd on the hifi all the way through, just to get a feel
    - playing it on the headphones/mp3 player for a more thorough listen

I think it's a grower, and it does sound best if you go for the whole package a couple of times, and then you'll get more out of individual tracks.

Too many moments where I want to hit the skip button..

I'm glad some people are liking it but I'll be picking so many other discs to listen to before I play this one again...
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

I'll refrain from the music itself after only one spin so far, but I will say that I am generally not a fan of this mix. Actually to the point of muttering "WTF?..." to myself at times. The drum sound is flat out bizarre to my ears. As you guys know I do like strange and unorthodox things, but this really baffles me. I promise to keep an: open mind, open mind, open mind.....

Heh...thanks to a USPS shipping snafu, my copy hasn't arrived yet. So, interesting to read some of these different viewpoints before actually hearing the finished product

Saw them Friday night at the Fillmore in Silver Spring...good show! The title track from Sorceress worked well, and I was pleased to hear plenty of earlier material done exceptionally well (highlights: Ghosts of Perdition and Demon of the Fall).
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I'll refrain from the music itself after only one spin so far, but I will say that I am generally not a fan of this mix. Actually to the point of muttering "WTF?..." to myself at times. The drum sound is flat out bizarre to my ears. As you guys know I do like strange and unorthodox things, but this really baffles me. I promise to keep an: open mind, open mind, open mind.....
    I need to go back and listen again, but I remember thinking some different choices were made this time around. I sometimes wonder why it's important to change things significantly from album to album, but I suspect that is due to different people doing the mix and the mix sort of revealing itself as the process goes along?
    <sig out of order>

The metal kids are not going to like this one...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    The metal kids are not going to like this one...
    They're going to have to accept the fact that their metal days are behind them now. This is three albums in a row, they've moved on. Even the live performance of The Drapery Falls on disc 2 doesn't have the same harshness to the death metal vocals... I don't think he can really do those the way he used to, it sounds quite different now to my ears.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Love it--best album since Ghost Reveries.