Thread: Opeth gigs

Opeth gigs

Q: Are recent Opeth gigs as varied as their output or do they tend to stick to the style of the album of the day? I mean, do they mix it up or not?

They do mix it up quite well these days. On their last tour, they were celebrating the 10th anniversary of Ghost Reveries, so it was played in its entirety during the first set, and the second set contained eight songs picked from seven albums (the latest album was the one they played two songs from). The first three or four albums don't get played as much, but on most tours they do one "deep cut" from that era as well.

On Heritage tour they avoided songs with death growls altogether, so during that period their sets tended to get a bit too mellow for most fans' tastes, but they have found a good balance since then.

Thanks.

I've been roped into going to see them later this year, but don't know their stuff very well. I am familiar with the last one and Watershed mainly, and Heritage to some extent. What do I need to listen to?

If you don't like the harsh vocal style (half present on Watershed), then I'd go get 'Damnation' and avoid everything else.

If you don't mind the harsh vocal style...IMHO Ghost Reveries is the schiznit. Still Life, Blackwater Park and Deliverance are all also really great.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Like they said!
    Their shows are fantastic. Tons of energy. Nothing like looking around at a thousand crazies head banging! Akerfeldt is hilarious between songs. He loves fucking with the audience. And they are tight as hell!

When I saw Opeth in L.A., it was one of the coolest, friendliest crowds I've ever seen at any concert. And the band was ferocious. Just an amazing experience.

I've seen Opeth many times, including at The Royal Albert Hall when they did the whole of Blackwater Park as the first half and then a track from all of their other albums for the second half and also at The Theatre Royal when they did The Ghost Revalries.

Going to see them at Wembley Arena in November so it will be interesting to see what they do.

Great live band, although I haven't seen them since Watershed.

Yeah Opeth is much tighter live now than they were back with their "original" lineup. Don't tell metalheads that though.

Quote Originally Posted by glawster2002 View Post
    Going to see them at Wembley Arena in November so it will be interesting to see what they do.
    Playing Wembley is a big deal, isn't that place huge?

Wembley Stadium is huge, Wembley Arena is merely big.

(no, I didn't know the difference either, until Nightwish recently played at the Arena and Finnish press went apeshit with NIGHTWISH SELLS OUT WEMBLEY headlines)

Ah, ok.

As an American, when I hear "Wembley", I think of Live Aid. I didn't even know there was another Wembley.