Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New Peter Gabriel tune "I'm Amazing"

Jeez guys. Track recorded years ago but wasn't released was probably because PG didn't think it passed quality control. Considering Muhammed Ali died and he said it was partly inspired by him, PG released it for free. You didn't really expect him to release a truly innovative, great song for free did you? It's an OK song that we got for nothing. De-stress and enjoy the weekend!

I like this a lot. Pretty 80's sounding but then I lilke 80's Peter Gabriel

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Jeez guys. Track recorded years ago but wasn't released was probably because PG didn't think it passed quality control. Considering Muhammed Ali died and he said it was partly inspired by him, PG released it for free. You didn't really expect him to release a truly innovative, great song for free did you? It's an OK song that we got for nothing. De-stress and enjoy the weekend!
    Did he say this song will be on an upcoming album? I thought he did, and that that's why people were judging the album by this song - the first song released from it. But maybe it's not from an upcoming album?

In any case, I find it hard to evaluate the song given the sound quality.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    'Put up or shut up' again. Great.

Who said that?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    I like this a lot. Pretty 80's sounding but then I lilke 80's Peter Gabriel
    The song is great, very proggy in the 80s Gabriel style; the song's outro is especially one of his finest. However, it seems that some "prog fans" like that Gabriel just sings with a piano only.

It's the sentiment inherent in all of these 'smile, accept what you are given and stop moaning!' posts.

I didn't think that much of it but I have not said anything towards those who did.
    True, you haven't, and I respect that. I don't think that's what Tangram was saying though.

IMO, Tangram hit the nail on the head. This was probably a track that didn't pass "quality control", but was released now because of Muhammad Ali's death as a sort of tribute, and a "freebie" for the fans. I don't suspect it's going to be on any forthcoming album (assuming there even is an album in the works -- I kinda doubt it). If you like it, fine. If you don't like it, fine. There's no need to start railing against Peter Gabriel and saying he should rejoin Genesis or just hang it up because his new music allegedly sucks. (Again, not directed at you.)

That's what I took away from it at least.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Did he say this song will be on an upcoming album? I thought he did
    I haven't seen any quote from PG or anyone in his mgmt that says this is a teaser for an album. All that has been said has suggested this was a one-off done for Ali's passing.

Given that several songs from Up appeared in earlier form prior to that album's release (Sky Blue, I Grieve, Signal to Noise), it isn't impossible that this could eventually be on an album...but that isn't what has been offered here.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

^It is unfortunate/telling that all three of those songs are among the highlights on Up. More songs of that calibre and I'd have enjoyed it more. Of the others, 'Darkness' is the best for me.

^I forgot about Scratch My Back altogether. I heard it when he streamed it before its release (I think on The Guardian), and I really, really didn't like it. Dirge-like arrangements and consistently mournful vocals from Gabriel made for a very samey album.

But I don't even really count that, it was a 'covers' project. Same as I don't count shared releases like Ovo, Big Blue Ball, which I don't have anyway (but his own contributions, I'm mostly familiar with via the Hit collection). As such, the one and only 'miss' for me in his album catalogue is Up. The other one I'm dubious about is his 2nd album but that is at least varied and has more than a few knockout tracks.
    Last edited by JJ88; 04-26-2017 at 11:54 AM.

^It is unfortunate/telling that all three of those songs are among the highlights on Up. More songs of that calibre and I'd have enjoyed it more. Of the others, 'Darkness' is the best for me.
    For me personally (and I very much love Up, in terms of full disclosure), the songs that eventually appeared on Up were improvements on their earlier versions, with the exception of the extended Sky Blue jams on Long Walk Home.

Not everything on Up works for me, but the highs are damned high: Darkness, No Way Out, Sky Blue, My Head Sounds Like That, Signal to Noise. Unlike some, the production has never bothered me in the slightest.

I'm not pissing on anyone who didn't like the album; to each their own. For me, it was another high mark in a catalog with more wins (III, IV, Passion, Up, etc.) than losses (Scratch my Back) IMHO.

For me, "I'm Amazing" is a nice song, definitely reminds me of Up but wouldn't necessarily be the highlight either. After many years of mostly orchestral covers I'm happy to see signs that he is still producing some more rock-oriented material. Who knows if or when there'll be a proper follow-up to Up.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    True, you haven't, and I respect that. I don't think that's what Tangram was saying though.

IMO, Tangram hit the nail on the head. This was probably a track that didn't pass "quality control", but was released now because of Muhammad Ali's death as a sort of tribute, and a "freebie" for the fans. I don't suspect it's going to be on any forthcoming album (assuming there even is an album in the works -- I kinda doubt it). If you like it, fine. If you don't like it, fine. There's no need to start railing against Peter Gabriel and saying he should rejoin Genesis or just hang it up because his new music allegedly sucks. (Again, not directed at you.)

That's what I took away from it at least.
    Exactly. I couldn't have said it better than you just did.

^I forgot about Scratch My Back altogether. I heard it when he streamed it before its release (I think on The Guardian), and I really, really didn't like it. Dirge-like arrangements and consistently mournful vocals from Gabriel made for a very samey album.

But I don't even really count that, it was a 'covers' project. Same as I don't count shared releases like Ovo, Big Blue Ball, which I don't have anyway (but his own contributions, I'm mostly familiar with via the Hit collection). As such, the one and only 'miss' for me in his album catalogue is Up. The other one I'm dubious about is his 2nd album but that is at least varied and has more than a few knockout tracks.
    Yeah, like I said...to each their own It took a loooong time to finally warm up to OVO but it is something I do definitely enjoy. Big Blue Ball was just...Real World All-Stars and a very mixed bag. I own it, but it gathers dust. And of all the orchestral stuff...the version of 'Wallflower' is simply lovely. The rest of it is fairly uninteresting to me.

I've never really warmed up to II either, but there are moments that are pretty fun. But I usually skip over it in favor of one of the others when I get the craving to hear his early stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I haven't seen any quote from PG or anyone in his mgmt that says this is a teaser for an album.
    I guess you're right. Someone said it was a teaser for a new album in the other PG thread (about his "Tweet"), but maybe they were just guessing.

Yeah, like I said...to each their own It took a loooong time to finally warm up to OVO but it is something I do definitely enjoy. Big Blue Ball was just...Real World All-Stars and a very mixed bag. I own it, but it gathers dust. And of all the orchestral stuff...the version of 'Wallflower' is simply lovely. The rest of it is fairly uninteresting to me.

I've never really warmed up to II either, but there are moments that are pretty fun. But I usually skip over it in favor of one of the others when I get the craving to hear his early stuff.
    Have you tried "And I'll Scratch Yours?" Just wondering.

Have you tried "And I'll Scratch Yours?" Just wondering.
    Yes I did. I don't say this terribly often but it was pretty much just terrible. I don't recall a single track even approaching the quality of the original work. One track (and I honestly can't recall which) didn't entirely suck outright, but some of them were surprisingly uninspired and dull. I say surprisingly because some of the contributing artists are really, really great, and have done far better work.

It was a clever idea (he does covers, and they cover back) but IMHO the end result just doesn't reflect the potential of all the involved parties.

I like to pretend it never happened, which is probably why I forgot to mention it above

Yes I did. I don't say this terribly often but it was pretty much just terrible. I don't recall a single track even approaching the quality of the original work. One track (and I honestly can't recall which) didn't entirely suck outright, but some of them were surprisingly uninspired and dull. I say surprisingly because some of the contributing artists are really, really great, and have done far better work.

It was a clever idea (he does covers, and they cover back) but IMHO the end result just doesn't reflect the potential of all the involved parties.

I like to pretend it never happened, which is probably why I forgot to mention it above
    Lou Reed's cover of Solisbury Hill was absolutely dreadful, in my opinion. The cherry on top was when he changed the wording of one line to "my friends would think I was a slut".

No disrespect intended, but c'mon Lou... Really?

Now the New Blood album had some pretty nice stuff on it. The orchestral reworking of In Your Eyes was rather beautiful, I thought.

Edit: Finally listened to I'm Amazing, and thought it was okay. I may give it a few more tries, but it didn't smack me upside the head the way Sky Blue or No Way Out did when I heard them.

I find it interesting to hear how 'to each own' is so true when listening to music. I listened to OVO and Big Blue Ball several but they never caught enough interest for me to get the CD's. Out of the all the PG albums, I listen to II the second most. Even PG himself wasn't too happy with it. BTW, IV being my go to PG recording.

I love the New Blood DVD. I have played this a ton over the past year. I finally have put it away, I'll see how long it takes me to want to go back to it. I probably will not be too long as my listening tastes are changing and there is more orchestral music on my cd player than ever before.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    I find it interesting to hear how 'to each own' is so true when listening to music. I listened to OVO and Big Blue Ball several but they never caught enough interest for me to get the CD's. Out of the all the PG albums, I listen to II the second most. Even PG himself wasn't too happy with it. BTW, IV being my go to PG recording.
    And here we are at the junction point: IV is pretty much my #1 PG as well Such a wonderful little slice of music.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Lou Reed's cover of Solisbury Hill was absolutely dreadful, in my opinion. The cherry on top was when he changed the wording of one line to "my friends would think I was a slut".

No disrespect intended, but c'mon Lou... Really?

Now the New Blood album had some pretty nice stuff on it. The orchestral reworking of In Your Eyes was rather beautiful, I thought.

Edit: Finally listened to I'm Amazing, and thought it was okay. I may give it a few more tries, but it didn't smack me upside the head the way Sky Blue or No Way Out did when I heard them.
    PG must hate Lou Reed now (even though he's dead).

"Turning water into swine
    Open doors will soon be smut"

PG must hate Lou Reed now (even though he's dead).

"Turning water into swine
    Open doors will soon be smut"
    Hey, why not, right?

This piece of music makes me really angry.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Whatever the motive, there were a few moments of things to enjoy but, on the whole, very weak. This won't take away from my enjoyment of the Gabriel/Sting show in a few weeks though.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    This piece of music makes me really angry.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

I don't say this terribly often but it was pretty much just terrible. I don't recall a single track even approaching the quality of the original work. ... It was a clever idea (he does covers, and they cover back) but IMHO the end result just doesn't reflect the potential of all the involved parties.
    I always found it a mixed bag: a few that at least equaled the originals (in an apples/oranges way), some that were solid but unremarkable, some awful. There was definitely some good potential there as you say. It was a worthy effort due to their willingness to change things up so much... however uneven a patchwork it is, it's still a step above a bunch of straightforward run-throughs with the same arrangements.

The surprise for me with ...I'll Scratch Yours is that almost all of the artists covered one of his songs in return. I think only Radiohead did not (David Bowie was never on the cards, it was always planned to be Brian Eno, I believe.)
    And that's still a damn shame since (IIRC) they'd originally picked "Wallflower." We never did find out why they bowed out, did we.