Thread: New guitar- I'm loving this Fender CLASSICAL? Early Father's Day Present!

New guitar- I'm loving this Fender CLASSICAL? Early Father's Day Present!

Yep, my #2 son took my Ibanez thinline classical off of my hands and my 4 working children all pitched in the difference to buy me a Fender CN240SCE Classical that my daughter saw me drooling over at Ken Stanton Music. Here is the Amazon link:https://www.amazon.com/Fender-CN-240...ender+CN240SCE

Yes, I know it has laminated rosewood back and sides. Yes, it is VERY thin for a classical and the bass does not resonante quite the way a full bodied classical does. It DOES have a very nice SOLID cedar top. The neck is thinner and narrower than most typical classicals. The body is probably just a bit deeper than a Les Paul. The bottom line is that it is very easy for me to play, and sounds absolutely wonderful. I tried the Fishman pickups through my daughter's Fender acoustic guitar amp and it sounded wonderful.

I haven't played much the last several years as the hands get sore much faster these days. I played one of my short instrumentals for my daughter last night and she asked me who wrote it. Her jaw dropped when I told her it was one of my pieces. I'm hoping my daughter will take to playing this as well. She shows great promise as a fingerpicker on her ukulele, but doesn't do near as much on her Baby Taylor. Once I get this guitar new strings and lower the action a tad, I think she will play it a lot.

Anyway, this is an instrument worth checking out if you've longed for mellow classical sound (and strings that are much easier on the fingers), but had trouble with the huge necks they usually have. It's a great stepping off point for electric players.

Cool... A cut-away is a MUST these days...best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Cool... A cut-away is a MUST these days...best of luck.
    Thanks. I changed the strings out and discovered the low E tuning gear is slightly bent. It will still wind, but there is a major hump. The tuners are kinda cheap anyway, so I will probably upgrade them.

Sweet! They're making a lot of nylon string guitars now with hybrid necks that appeal more to electric players who want the nylon sound without as much of a transition in feel. Also, I wouldn't sweat the laminated back and sides as long as it has a solid top. Have fun with it, that's the important thing!

Bill

Thanks Bill. I've read numerous reviews on it and have seen several people complain about the back and sides not being "real" rosewood. It has been my experience that the top is really much more important in terms of the overall sound. I have come to love the mellow tone of cedar. I first came to realize the difference between cedar and spruce after hearing this performance by classical guitarist Jeff Linsky on a Ohana concert classical with a cedar top.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Thanks Bill. I've read numerous reviews on it and have seen several people complain about the back and sides not being "real" rosewood. It has been my experience that the top is really much more important in terms of the overall sound. I have come to love the mellow tone of cedar. I first came to realize the difference between cedar and spruce after hearing this performance by classical guitarist Jeff Linsky on a Ohana concert classical with a cedar top.
    I agree with you on two counts, first that the top is far more important than the back and sides, and second that I have also come to prefer cedar to spruce. I had a little Seagull S6 folk guitar (steel string but with wider spacing for finger style, though I used it with a pick) that had a cedar top and laminated cherry back and sides. I played the hell out of that little guitar and it sounded great with beautiful projection, but a nice soft tone because of the top. I think I paid $250 for it and sold if for that amount 10+ years later.

I think in the lower price ranges laminated back and sides are fine. They're durable, and I think good builders know how to make them sound good. Certainly good enough for most purposes.

Bill

As a lefty, I hate cutaways!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    As a lefty, I hate cutaways!
    I do believe they make lefty versions of this cutaway.

I will note this is not nearly as loud as a full size classical. The Fishman pickup system, however, is plenty loud and very clean and clear.
    My daughter has a small Fender Acoustic guitar amp. It sounded great. Set the pickup EQ as follows: 12 o'clock for bass, 2 o'clock for mid, and 10 o'clock for treble. Comes out very balanced and clear.

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    ...Yes, it is VERY thin for a classical and the bass does not resonante quite the way a full bodied classical does. It DOES have a very nice SOLID cedar top. The neck is thinner and narrower than most typical classicals. The body is probably just a bit deeper than a Les Paul. The bottom line is that it is very easy for me to play, and sounds absolutely wonderful...

That's the Fender "Thinline" Classical guitar. I played one at Geetar Center a year or two ago and saw that it could make for a good live performance instrument for those on a budget.

Yes, unplugged, it's going to sound less bass-y. However, plugged-in, with the EQ set flat on the guitar, the difference will be made up with the factory's preset bass emphasis curve that is present with all piezo pickups.

By the way, for those who have not seen one in person, it really is almost as thin as an ES-335...