Thread: Recent Listening - Both Hoyry Kone releases

Recent Listening - Both Hoyry Kone releases

Good Evening Music Folks!

I was in the mood for this band so far this listening week. Haven't had either Hory Kone releases out for at least a year or two now - and the listen(s) were splendid!

A thought came to me several times while enjoying - 'I' would definitely call this/that band truely 'progressively progressive'. Certainly they had moved forward the essence of the 'mighty Crim' - but nicely adding some new approaches!

Excellent releases for sure.... (edit) and Hoyry Kone was definitely a highlight the year that they played Progday.

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

Great band. Are you familiar with the offshoot group Alamaailman Vasarat?
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Erghmmmmm... zravkapt - now I have to write the band name out! Yes Indeed I am familiar with Alamaailman Vasarat - via HKone, Nearfest, and definitely an interest. Thanks for asking! I would put AV just a little bit less liked than HK. But who really cares?

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Great band.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I bought these albums recently and I love them both, with a slight preference for the last one.
    I also prefer HK over AV. There is just a bit more diversity in the music of HK.

Did you know that singer went on to become a rather famous opera singer?

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    He was already in training when he sang with HK. You can hear this quite clearly on their second (and best) release especially. IIRC, only one or two of them weren't music academy buffs and became session musicians with some serious merit within numerous genres.

There were a lot of influences outside of the standard/mandatory Krim reference; they were all huge Iron Maiden fans and AFAIK loved acts like Mr. Bungle and Fishbone. Gong were another impulse, and their main guitarist was a Fred Frith fanatic.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Great band. Are you familiar with the offshoot group Alamaailman Vasarat?
    I wouldn't call AV an offshoot, especially that it's lived on at least 4 or 5 times the length og HK

Quote Originally Posted by winkersnufs View Post
    Erghmmmmm... zravkapt - now I have to write the band name out! Yes Indeed I am familiar with Alamaailman Vasarat - via HKone, Nearfest, and definitely an interest. Thanks for asking! I would put AV just a little bit less liked than HK. But who really cares?
    TBH, I followed AV until their sixth album, but nowadays I only kept the first two and the DVD (too much repetition on their later albums). AV was a wild concert in the RIO Fest
    But I prefer HK, which indeed is more varied

I bought these albums recently and I love them both, with a slight preference for the last one.
    I also prefer HK over AV. There is just a bit more diversity in the music of HK.

That seemed evident that he was heading that way... He was weary a tux the only concert I saw from them.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    He was already in training when he sang with HK. You can hear this quite clearly on their second (and best) release especially. IIRC, only one or two of them weren't music academy buffs and became session musicians with some serious merit within numerous genres.

There were a lot of influences outside of the standard/mandatory Krim reference; they were all huge Iron Maiden fans and AFAIK loved acts like Mr. Bungle and Fishbone. Gong were another impulse, and their main guitarist was a Fred Frith fanatic.
    I didn't know this but don't find it at all surprising - his splendid, clear voice and precise articulation really stand out to me. What an excellent group they were, and I certainly don't find them overly derivative of Crimson.

I really like AV too, but I think on the whole I prefer HK.

Great band! And I think that they were better live than on albums.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    And is there any recorded proof of that?

Never heard this before. Awesome.

The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

And is there any recorded proof of that?
    Well I saw them at least twice live so there is my memories
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    a lot of madness on the albums are better understood when seeing the live, that's for sure.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Well, in fact, there's a recorded proof of what they were doing live : their excellent album Live in Sweden (1996), released in 2014

https://www.amazon.com/Live-Sweden-H.../dp/B00K6AYNXY

The instrumentation is less diverse than the studio albums, but live they're a more energetic, furious at times, tight band!
    Highly recommend to fans of the band