Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I miss the chorus effect!

I still play through a Boss- CE2. Love it. I've had it for at least 30 years and it still works like a champ.

I have this, it sounds so good !

Here's a good one i haven't heard in a while

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    What did you wind up with, out of curiosity?

Like many, I got burned out on chorus in the 80s, but have discovered I like just a small touch of chorus on my fretless bass sound. I use multi effect units (Boss for Eccentric Orbit with my Tobias 5-string fretless, and a Zoom pedal for another band I'm in where I use my Fender Jaco Jazz bass). I find just a touch of chorus adds some nice depth and compliments the "mwah" of the fretless.

I don't have a chorus pedal for my guitar rig.

As far as chorus users, Leifson jumped to mind. I like how he used it to thicken his overdriven sound. I'm not as fond of this effect on clean guitar tones like Andy Summers, etc.

Bill
    Boss CE-1 ought to do it for Lifeson's chorus tone. That's what he was using during the 70s, and a Dimension-D during the early/mid 80s. Personally, I don't miss chorus at all - mainly on the grounds that I still use it! Bought a new Boss CH-1 when I was back at home in the UK last summer, and have been luxuriating in its rich, analogue loveliness ever since. Best used sparingly, it's true, but still a great sound, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Boss CE-1 ought to do it for Lifeson's chorus tone.
    I had the impression that Lifeson used a Roland JC-120 at the time, for his chorus tone, though I guess it's the same circuit as in the CE-1, isn't it? A lot of people used the CE-1, even into the 80's, after other makes and models (including the CE-2 and CE-3) had been introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I had the impression that Lifeson used a Roland JC-120 at the time, for his chorus tone, though I guess it's the same circuit as in the CE-1, isn't it? A lot of people used the CE-1, even into the 80's, after other makes and models (including the CE-2 and CE-3) had been introduced.

Yes it is. The CE-1 is essentially the chorus unit from the JC-120 in a drab, khaki metal box. Nothing else sounds quite as lush, and as good as Boss's later chorus units are, they don't quite capture the sheer magnificence of the original.

King Crimson Discipline era used Roland JC-120's

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Boss CE-1 ought to do it for Lifeson's chorus tone.
    A fantastic pedal but they don't grow on trees in these parts. I wish someone built a good clone of that pedal that doesn't suck your tone or volume when engaged.

After getting back to playing my acoustic for the past couple of years, and I hadn't played anything in nearly 20, I broke down and bought a Squier kit from Guitar Center about 3 weeks ago. For $250 I got the HSS Strat with an amp, and various other bits and pieces packed in. Today I put in about 4 hours relearning.

But the point of dredging this thread back up is to say that today UPS delivered the Danelectro chorus pedal I ordered. It was only 15 bucks, but for my needs right now, it's perfect. Sounds really nice.

I dont bring a fretless to my gigs, but I do the ol' "faux fretless" technique on fretted bass ( solo the bridge PU, roll down Tone (passive) or Highs(active), finger at bridge, slide notes, add a defretter effect...doesnt sound like it by itself but close within a full band context).......A lil chorus goes a long way to help the emulation.................I also use a little slight chorus with an Octave on a couple of songs for an 8-String emulation...I use a Zoom B3 and a Zoom B1on (B1 is for parametric EQ only)

I also miss the sound. Jamie West-Oram of The Fixx did some great stuff with chorus. Check out the final song on the REACH THE BEACH album "Outside"...

Because of this thread I played through RATT's "Enough if Enough" today, because of the intro.

I have a pedal board in the closet with BOSS pedals. The chorus is the BOSS CE-2B (for bass). It was a nice effect for ballads.
    Since I'm in an Allman Bros. tribute band, the only pedal that gets used is the BOSS TU-3 tuner.

I'm not a guitarist... is the chorus effect what Trevor Rabin used on songs like "The Calling" and "Holy Lamb"? Just curious.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Apparently CE-1 & 2's are going to start growing on trees again -

last week when i rehearsed with my Rush band buddies i hooked up the small but mighty Malekko Analog Chorus i had mentioned earlier and it sounded pretty fantastic at band volume through the front end of a Mesa Electradyne combo, so i'm back to giving that one a pretty high recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I'm not a guitarist... is the chorus effect what Trevor Rabin used on songs like "The Calling" and "Holy Lamb"? Just curious.
    Does Trevor even play on Holy Lamb?

The "chorus" effect is the sort of shimmery effect on almost any clean guitar you heard during the 80's. When in doubt, listen to The Police, as Andy Summers was kind of THE guy who made it de rigeur for everyone to have a chorus pedal on his pedal board. Listen, for instance to the intro of Walking On The Moon, that's a chorus and delay on that guitar there.

Another good chorus pedal track is Stand Or Fall by The Fixx, listen to the guitar on the intro of that one.

Back on the Chain Gang.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    Back on the Chain Gang.
    As well as just about everything else off the first three Pretenders albums.

Lots of chorus in 80s King Crimson.

Hell, just about every guitarist in the 80s used chorus at some point !
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone