Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beatles' Thread

I must watch the Anthology DVDs at least once a year. Essential for any Beatles fan. I never get tired of viewing it. Love the first 2-3 episodes the most.

Thank goodness some of that priceless footage survived. That 'Some Other Guy' in the Cavern is one of the most important pieces of music footage in any genre, capturing them just after Ringo joined ('we want Pete!' as someone shouts) and just before Parlophone put out 'Love Me Do'. 'Kansas City' was also recorded here but the footage doesn't seem to have survived the ravages of time.

Another amazing bit of footage is the Pathe newsreel film 'The Beatles Come To Town'- this is the amazing quality, full colour 'She Loves You' in a UK theatre. Captures Beatlemania in its early days (before it went Stateside) and it's fully live.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Spent some time this weekend listening to Sirius XM's new Beatles channel. It's pretty good and a good idea, but the include solo material as well as covers. It was jarring to have I Am the Walrus followed by some awful McCartney song called Valentine.

They played Fixing a Hole and I was reminded of how much I loved that song as a kid, and still do. They were so good at making a song sonically, musically, and lyrically interesting but not over complicating it so there's still breathing room.

If people have one of the big Beatles boxed set, do you have the mono or stereo?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    If people have one of the big Beatles boxed set, do you have the mono or stereo?
    The former.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

The mono mixes are what the effort was put into at the time because that's what most pop/rock fans bought back then. Hearing Revolver and Sgt Pepper in mono was an 'of course!' moment for me- they sound 'right'. (See also Pink Floyd's Piper...)

There are a few later mono mixes I don't care for, though- 'Your Mother Should Know' sounds really screwed up because they went crazy with the phasing. The stereo doesn't have that and sounds far better to me. And the 'white album' has many, many differences in mono...including some music missing which is on the stereo mix. As a result I can't really view that one as being definitive.

Abbey Road was the first album for which no mono mix was made. So you'd also need that, Let It Be and a handful of singles which never made it into mono ('The Ballad Of John And Yoko', 'Old Brown Shoe' and the single versions of Let It Be material).

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The mono mixes are what the effort was put into at the time because that's what most pop/rock fans bought back then. Hearing Revolver and Sgt Pepper in mono was an 'of course!' moment for me- they sound 'right'. (See also Pink Floyd's Piper...)

There are a few later mono mixes I don't care for, though- 'Your Mother Should Know' sounds really screwed up because they went crazy with the phasing. The stereo doesn't have that and sounds far better to me. And the 'white album' has many, many differences in mono...including some music missing which is on the stereo mix. As a result I can't really view that one as being definitive.

Abbey Road was the first album for which no mono mix was made. So you'd also need that, Let It Be and a handful of singles which never made it into mono ('The Ballad Of John And Yoko', 'Old Brown Shoe' and the single versions of Let It Be material).
    The original German stereo vinyl of MMT is considered the best-sounding of all the releases. I have that true stereo mix on a CD and it's pretty great.

I actually have a mono "Abbey Road," but it's a South American import and simply compressed down to mono. I don't think I've ever played it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^I've heard about that German MMT before (on the 'Hor Zu' label or whatever it was). Are the mixes different to the standard stereo CD? I do know 'Strawberry Fields Forever' had a few stereo mixes.

From memory. the stereo mix of MMT on the CD other than 'Flying' is actually not bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^I've heard about that German MMT before (on the 'Hor Zu' label or whatever it was). Are the mixes different to the standard stereo CD? I do know 'Strawberry Fields Forever' had a few stereo mixes.

From memory. the stereo mix of MMT on the CD other than 'Flying' is actually not bad at all.
    Hmmm, well, the mixes don't really sound considerably different to me. I think it's more about the mastering than anything. I don't have the MMT CD, but always felt "Flying" was a terrific mix.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I have a friend who draws/paints mandalas, and I just bought this Beatles one from her - I thought you guys might be interested to see it:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^ That's pretty cool. There's a lot of work in that.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    That's pretty awesome.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

The Beatles channel on Sirius XM has a thing called My Fab Four where listeners can get a chance to introduce their top 4 Beatles songs as they're played. My 8 yr old son and I have listened to the channel a lot in recent months. Here's his Fab Four:

I Am the Walrus
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    Come Together
    Golden Slumbers

Pretty good, eh? I can't even decide on four!

^^ Good taste.

Too many to narrow down for me.

I'm not sure I could narrow to top 4 albums, nevertheless songs....

For me, the top four songs are usually the last four I listened to.

I damn well know at least one of my fave four Beatles tunes would come from A Hard Day's Night album.What a gem.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

The only one I can be pretty sure of is Fool on the Hill.

Almost anything off Revolver. "And your bird can sing".
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    I damn well know at least one of my fave four Beatles tunes would come from A Hard Day's Night album.What a gem.
    Their first album with all original songs.

Beatles poster.jpg

OK Guys, attached is a Beatles poster on my basement wall. It is been there for more than 25 years and is always a topic of conversation as to who are the 4 characters shown...Top Left? Top right? Bottom left? Bottom right? Numbers?
    Last edited by adap2it; 11-03-2017 at 02:55 PM.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Beatles poster.jpg

OK Guys, attached is a Beatles poster on my basement wall. It is been there for more than 25 years and is always a topic of conversation as to who are the 4 characters shown...Top Left? Top right? Bottom left? Bottom right?
    I'm going to say, top, G P, bottom, R J.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Beatles poster.jpg

OK Guys, attached is a Beatles poster on my basement wall. It is been there for more than 25 years and is always a topic of conversation as to who are the 4 characters shown...Top Left? Top right? Bottom left? Bottom right? Numbers?
    1 John
    2 Ringo
    3 Paul
    4 George

can anyone rotate the photo. It seems that my phone pictures always look that way, even if I rotate the original...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature