Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beatles' Thread

Jean-Michel Guesdon and Philippe Margotin -The Beatles Complete is also a nice source. Mark Lewisohn - The Beatles recording sessions might also be a good source.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Jean-Michel Guesdon and Philippe Margotin -The Beatles Complete is also a nice source. Mark Lewisohn - The Beatles recording sessions might also be a good source.
    I have both of Lewisohn's books, great sources on the details of their recording history, as well as a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    I have both of Lewisohn's books, great sources on the details of their recording history, as well as a few others.
    Yep. And for the story, get "Tune In." It's incredibly detailed and entertaining. The only problem is that there are two more volumes to come and we have to wait.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Yep. And for the story, get "Tune In." It's incredibly detailed and entertaining. The only problem is that there are two more volumes to come and we have to wait.
    Still reading the extensive version of Tune in. It is really very detailed.

The only problem is that there are two more volumes to come and we have to wait.
    At this point I'm more likely to see the completion of A Song of Ice and Fire than this in my lifetime.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I really like Paul's bass playing on Rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I really like Paul's bass playing on Rain.
    Ringo's drumming is pretty impressive, too.

That single was the first where the bass came through well on the pressing. I'm not sure of the details, but something changed with the technology that was able to capture the bass better than earlier releases.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    At this point I'm more likely to see the completion of A Song of Ice and Fire than this in my lifetime.
    I'm not so sure of that. The years following volume 1 are much better documented. While it will still take years, I don't think it will take as long as the first volume.

According to Lewisohn:
    Volume two will pick up in January 1963, though I haven't yet decided where it will end – some point in 1966 or 1967 probably. This first volume took ten full years to research and write but I don't envisage the same stretch being necessary for books two and three: the periods covered are more enclosed, and I've already done a fair bit of the research. Still, I know – I'm sure – there's much yet to be discovered, especially more documents, and my foot will be pressed hard down for a long time to come.

That statement is from his website, but I don't know the date of the questions.

http://www.marklewisohn.net/index.ph...-years/q-and-a

I have no dispute with what ronmac said, so you are trying to create a controversy where none exists. He corrected you on your mistaken assumption that Paul did not play bass on Ballad of John and Yoko.
    Go back and reread my post. Show me where I claimed Paul didn't play bass on "The Ballad of John and Yoko". I said Paul played drums, which sets precedent that they didn't just play their designated instrument that they are known for. I'm with JKL2000 here. You try hard to school others but you're the one who needs some schooling. I was never looking for an argument. However, you seem to want to stick your nose in a lot of things around here. You're idiotic quote about the title of my playlist is an example. Buzz off!

Chris Squire said Paul was huge influence on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Go back and reread my post. Show me where I claimed Paul didn't play bass on "The Ballad of John and Yoko". I said Paul played drums, which sets precedent that they didn't just play their designated instrument that they are known for. I'm with JKL2000 here. You try hard to school others but you're the one who needs some schooling. I was never looking for an argument. However, you seem to want to stick your nose in a lot of things around here. You're idiotic quote about the title of my playlist is an example. Buzz off!
    Since Paul played bass on the vast majority of Beatles tracks, and is well known for his innovative and very imitated bass licks on many iconic tunes, I simply found it odd that you would doubt if it was Paul playing bass. When I questioned why, you gave an example of one song which you obviously didn't think he played bass on because he played drums on it. It's there in black and white, and ronmac clarified that for you. You then tried to falsely set up some manufactured dispute btw ronmac and I as if I was claiming that Paul played bass on every single Beatles recording. I wasn't looking for an argument at all, I just asked a question, which you tried your darndest to create a dispute out of. Congrats.

The Beatles had a great rhythm section.

Since Paul played bass on the vast majority of Beatles tracks, and is well known for his innovative and very imitated bass licks on many iconic tunes, I simply found it odd that you would doubt if it was Paul playing bass. When I questioned why, you gave an example of one song which you obviously didn't think he played bass on because he played drums on it. It's there in black and white, and ronmac clarified that for you. You then tried to falsely set up some manufactured dispute btw ronmac and I as if I was claiming that Paul played bass on every single Beatles recording. I wasn't looking for an argument at all, I just asked a question, which you tried your darndest to create a dispute out of. Congrats.
    Can't we just "Let It Be"?

BTW, John played bass on that one.

The Beatles are my favorite band of all time.

I wasn't aware that Lewisohn was doing these more in depth books. So these are more in depth narrative expansions of the Recording Sessions book?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    The Beatles are my favorite band of all time.
    They are certainly worthy of that! I can't believe how many times in the last few months I've been listening to a song on the Sirius Beatles channel that's I've heard plenty of times, and find myself saying out loud "Wow, this is really a great song!" It was a short run but they sure had it all going there for most of it.

I remember a while back, might have been on this thread, someone said they didn't like the Beatles at all. I'm not going to question their taste, but it's sure hard to believe.

I wasn't aware that Lewisohn was doing these more in depth books. So these are more in depth narrative expansions of the Recording Sessions book?
    No, this is not another reference document. It's the story as it should be told. It's an absolutely amazing historical documentary, impeccably researched and presented in a great narrative. But, he lets the story tell itself. He basically got tired of waiting for someone else to write the definitive story of how it all came together, so he decided to do it himself, much to our benefit.

The extended version of volume 1 alone is about 1500 pages and ends at the end of 1962! The standard version of volume one (which is what I have) is half that length. There are supposed to be three volumes.

So, take Mark Lewisohn's attention to detail love of the subject and apply it to their biography. I couldn't put it down.

http://www.marklewisohn.net/index.ph...-years/tune-in

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I remember a while back, might have been on this thread, someone said they didn't like the Beatles at all. I'm not going to question their taste, but it's sure hard to believe.
    People have their reasons. I've always suggested that they had at least one song for everyone. I can't imagine someone not being able to find one song they like. They pretty much did it all.

No, this is not another reference document. It's the story as it should be told. It's an absolutely amazing historical documentary, impeccably researched and presented in a great narrative. But, he lets the story tell itself. He basically got tired of waiting for someone else to write the definitive story of how it all came together, so he decided to do it himself, much to our benefit.

The extended version of volume 1 alone is about 1500 pages and ends at the end of 1962! The standard version of volume one (which is what I have) is half that length. There are supposed to be three volumes.

So, take Mark Lewisohn's attention to detail love of the subject and apply it to their biography. I couldn't put it down.

The extended version I have is a really interesting read. It also tells a bit about some other music of that time. I read it very slowly. Lots of footnotes and I often need a dictionary, to compensate for my lack of knowledge of the English vocabulary. I got the book for my birthday several years ago and I've still 2 chapters to go befor I finish the first book of the first volume. I'm now at the moment they go to Germany for the first time.

As I've said about this topic previously, I got audio book version of Tune In (the unabridged version) in 2016. It's over 43 hours long. I listened to it daily while on long walks or bike rides. The narrator, Clive Mantle, is nothing short of excellent. His does an admirable scouse, and he can do a fair rendition of the Beatles' voices, especially Paul's. I really, really didn't want it to end... so much so that, as soon as it DID end, I immediately re-listened to the whole thing. It's that well done. Since we'll have to wait a few more years for Volume 2, I'm contemplating a third go around later this year.

FWIW, George certainly played bass on some songs. Especially when they tried to play as a full band with Paul on piano.

On this one George plays a Fender bass VI

Are there any of their better known songs that members of the band didn't like?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Are there any of their better known songs that members of the band didn't like?
    John hated some of Paul's ditties, like "Maxwell's Silver Hammer." I don't think he was much of a fan of "Ob-la-di ob-la-da," either. He also didn't care for some of his own songs, like "It's Only Love," which he considered a throwaway.

I don't think he was much of a fan of "Ob-la-di ob-la-da," either.
    He should have been. It was pretty hip for the Beatles to be doing ska in 1968. He was probably jealous that Paul thought of it first.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

John hated some of Paul's ditties, like "Maxwell's Silver Hammer." I don't think he was much of a fan of "Ob-la-di ob-la-da," either. He also didn't care for some of his own songs, like "It's Only Love," which he considered a throwaway.
    I can just see Ringo standing up, throwing down his sticks and pointing at Paul saying, "I hate that song. For the rest of your life, never sing it again"..
    The older I get, the better I was.