Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beatles' Thread

Hearing Let It Be... Naked for the first time, make sure you’re alone.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Hearing Let It Be... Naked for the first time, make sure you’re alone.
    Why is that? I haven't heard it...

So nobody sees you. Listening. To Let It Be.... Naked.

Since I can only take so much of The Beatles, I listen to a pre-defined playlist each year. Today I did just that. Paul McCartney's bass playing is the standout element (Imo) in the songs I enjoy. Some tasty licks, for sure -- if that is in fact him playing the bass on all of these songs. Either way, the bass playing is the highlight for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Since I can only take so much of The Beatles, I listen to a pre-defined playlist each year. Today I did just that. Paul McCartney's bass playing is the standout element (Imo) in the songs I enjoy. Some tasty licks, for sure -- if that is in fact him playing the bass on all of these songs. Either way, the bass playing is the highlight for me.
    ?? Why would you think it would not be Paul playing bass? Is there a 6th Beatle we don't know about?

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    ?? Why would you think it would not be Paul playing bass? Is there a 6th Beatle we don't know about?
    Didn't "The Ballad of John and Yoko" have Paul on drums? That right there sets precedent, thus making the content of my posting valid.

I really do not care who did the bass on their songs. I just think it sounds tasty.

Didn't "The Ballad of John and Yoko" have Paul on drums? That right there sets precedent, thus making the content of my posting valid.

I really do not care who did the bass on their songs. I just think it sounds tasty.
    "The Ballad of John and Yoko" had John on piano and guitar and Paul on bass and drums. The beauty of that song is that The Beatles were a band falling apart at the time. Yet, John and Paul showed they could still pull it together with just the two of them laying down a truly great track.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

FWIW, George certainly played bass on some songs. Especially when they tried to play as a full band with Paul on piano.

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Since I can only take so much of The Beatles,
    You suck Gruno. Let's all gang up on him.

Trust me, on all those iconic tracks you probably like (ie Daytripper, Paperback Writer, Come Together etc) that's Paul. One of the great and innovative bass players in rock history. And having seen him live 4 times, there is no doubt.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 01-26-2018 at 11:02 PM.

Trust me, on all those iconic tracks you probably like (ie Daytripper, Paperback Writer, Come Together etc) that's Paul. One of the great and innovative bass players in rock history. And having seen him live 4 times, there is no doubt.
    I've seen Paul live on concert. Doesn't mean he played every bass line on the recordings. But, Ronmac says George did some of their bass recordings. Who is correct? You guys hash it out. I don't care.

I've seen Paul live on concert. Doesn't mean he played every bass line on the recordings. But, Ronmac says George did some of their bass recordings. Who is correct? You guys hash it out. I don't care.
    George definitely played bass on some tracks. There's no dispute.

Paul didn't play bass on Within You Without You, Her Majesty, She's Leaving Home, or Honey Pie.

BTW, George played bass on Honey Pie, and some other dude played Double Bass on She's Leaving Home.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    some other dude played Double Bass on She's Leaving Home.
    According to The Beatles Complete Gordon Pearce played double bass.

It seems like there are a couple of scenes in the Let It Be movie where Paul plays piano and George plays bass.

No where did I ever make the claim that Paul played bass on every single recording the Beatles ever did. He obviously played bass on the vast majority of Beatles recordings, and the recordings which have an iconic bass line which is prominent are probably mostly if not all Paul. I have no dispute with what ronmac said, so you are trying to create a controversy where none exists. He corrected you on your mistaken assumption that Paul did not play bass on Ballad of John and Yoko. Yeah, George played bass on a handful of tracks, probably more towards the end of their recording career when they were switching instruments more and playing as a full band when Paul played piano, and when they started doing more "solo" tracks.

There is a simple way to find out who played bass on your "Predefined Limited Because I Can Take Only So Much of Their Musical Genius Beatles Playlist". I would be very interested to see this playlist so post it here and we can easily find out for sure what songs that you like have the tasty bass playing by Paul. This much we absolutely agree on:

"Paul McCartney's bass playing is the standout element (Imo) in the songs I enjoy. Some tasty licks, for sure -....the bass playing is the highlight for me."
    Last edited by DocProgger; 01-27-2018 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    George definitely played bass on some tracks. There's no dispute.
    Nor did I dispute that.

Paul didn't play bass on Within You Without You, Her Majesty, She's Leaving Home, or Honey Pie.

BTW, George played bass on Honey Pie, and some other dude played Double Bass on She's Leaving Home.
    Again, never claimed that Paul played bass on every single recording the Beatles ever did. Within You Without You, Her Majesty and She's Leaving Home are terrible examples and are certainly not songs known for their iconic bass lines. Within You Without You is basically a Harrison solo song dominated by the playing of Indian instruments like the sitar, and has no bass guitar in it to speak of. She's Leaving Home is a soft string driven Beatles ballad with no prominent bass line. The song's instrumental background was performed entirely by a small string orchestra arranged by Mike Leander, and was one of only a handful of Beatles songs in which the members did not play any instruments on the recording. Her Majesty is a 23 second song snippet with just Paul's acoustic guitar and no bass on it. Terrible examples, but nice try Dr. Zaius.

Nor did I dispute that..
    Which is why I stated there was no dispute.

Again, never claimed that Paul played bass on every single recording the Beatles ever did. Within You Without You, Her Majesty and She's Leaving Home are terrible examples and are certainly not songs known for their iconic bass lines. Within You Without You is basically a Harrison solo song dominated by the playing of Indian instruments like the sitar, and has no bass guitar in it to speak of. She's Leaving Home is a soft string driven Beatles ballad with no prominent bass line. The song's instrumental background was performed entirely by a small string orchestra arranged by Mike Leander, and was one of only a handful of Beatles songs in which the members did not play any instruments on the recording. Her Majesty is a 23 second song snippet with just Paul's acoustic guitar and no bass on it. Terrible examples, but nice try Dr. Zaius.
    I think he was being facetious.

Nor did I dispute that.

I'm aware of all of the above, and my post had nothing to do with you.

Indeed.

Which is why I stated there was no dispute.
    That was emphasis for Gruno.

Sometimes you can't tell with Dr. Zaius....
    Last edited by DocProgger; 01-27-2018 at 01:43 PM.

Sometimes you can't tell with Dr. Zauis....
    Sometimes YOU can’t tell, which is why you should probably stop trying to correct other people’s replies for them (not only mine).

Sometimes YOU can’t tell, which is why you should probably stop trying to correct other people’s replies for them (not only mine).
    I'll assume you're just trolling then.

I'll assume you're just trolling then.
    You'll probably have fewer SNAFUs that way.

You'll probably have fewer SNAFUs that way.
    When you post something after I post appearing to disagree with my post or trying to take issue with something I said, I would normally assume you are being serious. From some of your posts here, I can't assume you always know what you are talking about. Above you said you never heard Let it Be Naked, so I have no idea of the depth of your Beatles knowledge. But, now that I know most of your stuff is a trolling schtick, I will keep that in mind Dr. Zaius.

A good source for finding out who played what instrument(s) on what song, check out Walter Everett's "The Beatles As Musicians"
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes