Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone watching Armstrong's interview?

Anyone watching Armstrong's interview?

Is this interview a real apology or a PR stunt to improve public image?

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by enpdllp View Post
    Is this interview a real apology or a PR stunt to improve public image?
    What do you think?

Banned
    So you enjoy Oprahs channel, huh.

Nope. Not watching.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    What do you think?
    It was a rhetorical question!

With that said, I can not see how Armstrong will be able to improve his image with this interview. Even though the statute of limitations on some of his depositions and prizes have expired, he is still putting himself in a lot of risk by potential lawsuits, losing his fortune and maybe even jail time from this interview. I really don't see how his lawyers allowed him to take this risk.

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    So you enjoy Oprahs channel, huh.
    Nope, I can't stand Oprah. I am cycling enthusiast and I am interested to see how far Armstrong went on his cover up. I wonder how much she paid Armstrong for this interview.

maybe even jail time from this interview.
    Can you expand on this?

What law is he breaking by going on Oprah?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Can you expand on this?

What law is he breaking by going on Oprah?
    He is not breaking any laws by going on Oprah, although I think he should be at least fined for doing the interview with her and not a real news organization.

The following link explains why Armstrong could go to jail if he admits to doping during his interview.

He is not breaking any laws by going on Oprah, although I think he should be at least fined for doing the interview with her and not a real news organization.
    Why? Why does it matter?

The following link explains why Armstrong could go to jail if he admits to doping during his interview.
    I don't think the perjury thing applies, as it's now beyond the statue of limitations.

Banned
    I'd be happy if he answers the question of why bikers dress up like the Marillion jester.

meimjustalawnmower
    This guy is still not being honest or taking full responsibility.

Why? Why does it matter?
    It is a matter of perception. Oprah is not a real journalist and she appears to be more interested/concerned on the lifestyle of celebrities like the Kardashian's and their ilk. Doing the interview with Oprah kind of makes it look like a cheap and transparent a PR stunt to get some sympathy.

FWIW, Armstrong admitted to most of the charges that have been thrown at him through the years, but he did not appear that remorseful during the interview. I wonder if Armstrong's ex-wife, Sheryl Crow and others that dated him druing his TdF heyday knew of his PED use or if he kept them out of the loop.

I don't think the perjury thing applies, as it's now beyond the statue of limitations.
    Not all the cases of perjury are beyond the statute of limitations. Read the link I provided on my previous post for details.

BTW, the following link has some interesting information on one of Armstrong's biggest financial backers.

meimjustalawnmower
    It is a matter of perception. Oprah is not a real journalist and she appears to be more interested/concerned on the lifestyle of celebrities like the Kardashian's and their ilk. Doing the interview with Oprah kind of makes it look like a cheap and transparent a PR stunt to get some sympathy.
    She treated him with kid gloves. A real sports journalist would've ripped him to shreds, but he would never have put himself in that position. At the end of the day, the guy's a piece of shit. He ruined other people's lives. He tarnished the sport of cycling in such a way that it will take years, decades to recover. He can't even just say "I'm sorry for fucking up", because he's such an arrogant asshole.

We don't get the OWN channel but from what I have read he wasn't too forthcoming. He is about as repentant as Barry Bonds.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Haven't read any of the previous posts. I'm taping tonight & tomorrow night and watching the entire "Yeah He Raised A Lot Of Awareness & Money For Cancer Research But He's Still A Lying Sack Of Shit" extravaganza & skip commercials.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    We don't get the OWN channel but from what I have read he wasn't too forthcoming. He is about as repentant as Barry Bonds.
    Well, he admitted the doping, but that was all. He didn't own up to anything else. It was pretty clear that he's concerned about the legal ramifications, and if you don't think that his lawyer wasn't standing just outside of the camera, then you're kidding yourself. That guy was paid a shitload of money to do this, and the whole thing was as calculated as can be. I didn't see anything that resembled remorse or emotion. This thing won't be over until he throws more people under the bus. Unbelievable.

She treated him with kid gloves. A real sports journalist would've ripped him to shreds, but he would never have put himself in that position. At the end of the day, the guy's a piece of shit. He ruined other people's lives. He tarnished the sport of cycling in such a way that it will take years, decades to recover. He can't even just say "I'm sorry for fucking up", because he's such an arrogant asshole.
    She was way better than I was expecting, but I agree a real journalist would have ripped him to shreds.

I read an article today that stated that the IOC might consider dropping cycling events from the next Olympic games.

We don't get the OWN channel but from what I have read he wasn't too forthcoming.
    FWIW, no need to have OWN to watch the interview. It is being streamed live worldwide on the web.

He is about as repentant as Barry Bonds.
    At least Barry Bonds had the decency of disappearing from public view. Armstrong is so full of himself and addicted to fame, that he was willing to risk whatever he had left and do the interview to extend his stay in the limelight.

meimjustalawnmower
    At least Barry Bonds had the decency of disappearing from public view. Armstrong is so full of himself and addicted to fame, that he was willing to risk whatever he had left and do the interview to extend his stay in the limelight.
    Well, to be honest, Armstrong is trying to preserve what's left of LIVESTRONG, especially since there are now rumors that he was either lying about his cancer as well, or that his cancer was caused by the PED's. Bonds, like his father before him, is very unsociable. He doesn't give a shit about anyone but himself.

Banned
    if he lied about the cancer, that would be the greatest con of all time.

Well, he admitted the doping, but that was all. He didn't own up to anything else. It was pretty clear that he's concerned about the legal ramifications, and if you don't think that his lawyer wasn't standing just outside of the camera, then you're kidding yourself. That guy was paid a shitload of money to do this, and the whole thing was as calculated as can be. I didn't see anything that resembled remorse or emotion. This thing won't be over until he throws more people under the bus. Unbelievable.
    Armstrong was very cautious with his statements to Oprah. I am quite sure that he was trained very well by his legal and PR team on how to answer every possible question. He was probably more prepared for this interview than Obama was for his first debate with Romney!!!

FWIW, I read that none of Armstrong's lawyers were allowed in the room while the interview was being conducted.

Well, to be honest, Armstrong is trying to preserve what's left of LIVESTRONG, especially since there are now rumors that he was either lying about his cancer as well, or that his cancer was caused by the PED's. Bonds, like his father before him, is very unsociable. He doesn't give a shit about anyone but himself.
    Considering how little of Livestrong's funding was actually going to cancer research, it was mostly going to awareness programs and a great vehicle for Armstrrong to line his pockets by speaking fees and sponsorship deals, I am not that concerned if the organization folds. There are plenty of other cancer organizations that people could send their money without having a guy like Armstrong being their spokesman.

Bonds, like his father before him, is very unsociable. He doesn't give a shit about anyone but himself.
    Not a fan of Bonds at all. I agree that Bonds is an unsociable person, but I don't think he was bullying and suing people like Armstrong did. One thing for sure, both don't give a damn about anyone else but themselves.

I think he would have gotten less grief about that.

meimjustalawnmower
    FWIW, I read that none of Armstrong's lawyers were allowed in the room while the interview was being conducted.
    In reality, there would be no need. I'm sure that everything was worked out long before the taping. But I don't believe it, anyway.

meimjustalawnmower
    Please. I'm not even a 100% sure that Magic Johnson is telling the truth.