Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The vinyl revival and progressive rock...

Quote Originally Posted by zumacraig View Post
    Now, if Steven Wilson mastered them...
    Not necessarily. Depends on when the loudness was added. If there's still an uncompressed master somewhere, or multi-tracks, it is possible but anything that has been compressed is almost impossible to decompress.

Banned

The vinyl revival and progressive rock...

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Not so fast, cowboy. LPs can still have compression, and lots of it. But the Loudness Wars were fought after the introduction of CDs, because CDs could ride the zero dB rail without distortion, unlike LPs. So your compressed-to-hell recordings are more likely to be CDs. Exactly. It's all about the music.
    Compression creates distortion, analog or CD. So I don't know what you are describing. There is no reason for compression in digital. In fact the first digital production I bought was Stravinsky's Firebird suite on vinyl. This piece had really huge bass peaks that you could see in grooves.

Actually, current vinyl sales are are almost zero compared to the height in '79. Now they make up 14% of all music sales. Sales dwindling by huge numbers each year.
    It's a different game now. Physical sales will never be what they were in "1979," but you can bet that when the major labels start pressing vinyl again, there is a resurgence and money there.

Banned
    Not necessarily. Depends on when the loudness was added. If there's still an uncompressed master somewhere, or multi-tracks, it is possible but anything that has been compressed is almost impossible to decompress.
    Actually if an analog compression with a smooth non-linear tube like gain curve is used, it can be inverted, of course all assumes high SNR. Remember DBX, there were some records recorded with it:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dbx_(noise_reduction)

This is my take on this question. Regarding the vinyl revival...artists in almost all genres of music are issuing a vinyl counterpart. That says something about the revival of vinyl. So, yes I think there is a revival. Statistics regarding the sales of turntables indicates that too. Regarding which sounds better; I still have around 500 lp's that I play often on my Linn turntable, but I play the CD's even more just for the matter of convenience. Many of the CD's I bought were replacing (suposedly) the LP's I had for years, so I can compare regularlly the vinyl version with the CD version. Conclusion: when I really have the time and want to enjoy music, I play de Lp's; when i'm in a hurry and want to listen to more music, then I play the CD's. To me there is no contest when making a comparison of the same record (vinyl sounds better). I remember once a girlfriend who's favorite record was (and is) The Myths and Legend of King Arthur (by Rick Wakeman). She entered the room and I was playing the CD version of that record (she didn't know that was the CD version) and ask me why it sounded so bad, then I told her it was the CD version. That's my two cents worth opinion.

Banned
    I know why vinyl is being revived. The baby boomers are passing away and leaving their records to kids who are really adults. Their kids aren't as well off and find it cheaper to "burn" that vinyl to a low cost turntable with a USB output[emoji6]

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gilawi View Post
    This is my take on this question. Regarding the vinyl revival...artists in almost all genres of music are issuing a vinyl counterpart. That says something about the revival of vinyl. So, yes I think there is a revival. Statistics regarding the sales of turntables indicates that too. Regarding which sounds better; I still have around 500 lp's that I play often on my Linn turntable, but I play the CD's even more just for the matter of convenience. Many of the CD's I bought were replacing (suposedly) the LP's I had for years, so I can compare regularlly the vinyl version with the CD version. Conclusion: when I really have the time and want to enjoy music, I play de Lp's; when i'm in a hurry and want to listen to more music, then I play the CD's. To me there is no contest when making a comparison of the same record (vinyl sounds better). I remember once a girlfriend who's favorite record was (and is) The Myths and Legend of King Arthur (by Rick Wakeman). She entered the room and I was playing the CD version of that record (she didn't know that was the CD version) and ask me why it sounded so bad, then I told her it was the CD version. That's my two cents worth opinion.
    Fine, but is the reason the record sounds better, the transducers or the CD. I have a Ortofon MC3 high output moving cartridge and a Yamaha PX3 turntable (tangential tone arm) and I transferred Peter Gabriel's Live record to digital. My friend said it sounded great. To me it was too bright and nowhere sounded as natural as the CD. Some of my friends have lost their high freq hearing with age or abuse.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    I'm going to write a science fiction novel in which someone goes back in time to kill Phil Collins just after the release of Wind and Wuthering. This creates a utopian future free of all the things Phil Collins has ruined.
    Then we'd just say "Phil's inability to defend himself robbed us of the chance to hear the few good songs on the post-Hackett albums."

Don't know about prog being helped by the new interest in vinyl. Metal/hard rock/retrorock/stoner on the other hand have totally taken the new vinyl interest to heart, so much so that certain bands are releasing new stuff on 7" and LP first, then later on CD. And some metal/hard rock/retro/stoner bands are having trouble meeting the demand for vinyl, for example, it took me almost a year from the release date before I finally found a copy of the first Blues Pills LP. They were simply selling out as soon as they hit the shops (both street and web).
    Last edited by PeterG; 06-13-2016 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I'm all for the ongoing survival of vinyl. But, I think the so-called "revival" is overstated. Yes, the millennials are a big part of the force behind it. But, is it really much more than a novelty to them?
    well, yes, it's novelty for the hipsters - especially those feeling like shitting over their parents' music (on CDs) and going to to the grandpârents' music (on vinyl)... then, there are the crusty ol' nostalgic curmudgeon progheads ... nott a novelty for them

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Good luck with that!

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Some original vinyls sound better because there was never a well-done CD release.

A number of CDs fall into the category of: excellent-sounding 70s vinyl, first generation CD wasn't great, remaster/s used techniques that have been disavowed (loudness, no-noise, etc.).

I'm not a proponent of the idea that all original press vinyls sound better than all subsequent CDs.
    This would also highly depend on where the vinyl was pressed... not sure an Indonesian vinyl pressing of VdGG sounds any better than either the muddy first gen CD or the badly remastered ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    And there are sound systems, primarily speakers and cartridge, that have coloration ideal for those listeners of vinyl.
    OK, speakers can definitely alter music coloration, but cartridges?? First time I hear this...

Sort of makes sense, because after all, it's the second link in the hi-Fi chain , right after the stylus and before the amp or pre-amp.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Here's a little trivia: In the late 80s, early 90s, the first artist to NOT release an album on vinyl was Phil Collins. So Phil Collins ruined vinyl.
    I'm going to write a science fiction novel in which someone goes back in time to kill Phil Collins just after the release of Wind and Wuthering. This creates a utopian future free of all the things Phil Collins has ruined.
    So Phil ruined internet, as well??

I want CDs or download card AND the gatefold. Why hasn't this happened yet?
    Well, if the gatefolds are interesting, I go for the Mini-Lp vinyl replica... solves my itch, anyways...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    It's a different game now. Physical sales will never be what they were in "1979," but you can bet that when the major labels start pressing vinyl again, there is a resurgence and money there.
    sounds like a desperate attempt of staying alive in the ballgame until a solution is found...

But also, given the vinyl prices, the profit margins are much higher than for CDs

Also, in 79, the music wasn't nearly as international as it is today.... I'd say that by 79 there was at least two and half continent's worth of inhabitants that still had no access to record shop... let alone electricity.

Furthermore, I don't know why the date of 79 springs up (even for vinyl-only figues >> I'd say 82 with Thriller would top 79, despite the musicassette boom), because I believe the 90's were the apex of solid-medium music sales
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

http://fortune.com/2016/04/16/vinyl-...ord-store-day/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinyl_revival

Two pretty interesting pages. Almost 12 million units sold in the US alone is nothing to sneeze at.

For me, it's pretty simple. I hope more prog finds it's way to vinyl, past, present and future.
    The older I get, the better I was.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/2523734/th...ALES-900.jpg?5

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    sounds like a desperate attempt of staying alive in the ballgame until a solution is found...

But also, given the vinyl prices, the profit margins are much higher than for CDs

Also, in 79, the music wasn't nearly as international as it is today.... I'd say that by 79 there was at least two and half continent's worth of inhabitants that still had no access to record shop... let alone electricity.

Furthermore, I don't know why the date of 79 springs up (even for vinyl-only figues >> I'd say 82 with Thriller would top 79, despite the musicassette boom), because I believe the 90's were the apex of solid-medium music sales

I don't know why that chart always comes up. The vinyl resurgence is not about how many millions are sold now than vs. the days when it was the dominant format, it's about how many vinyl records are sold as a proportion of the overall sales of physical media. Record stores now devote as much space or more to vinyl over CD, because they *need* to, not because they want to. It's what people who shop at record stores are buying.

I don't know why that chart always comes up. The vinyl resurgence is not about how many millions are sold now than vs. the days when it was the dominant format, it's about how many vinyl records are sold as a proportion of the overall sales of physical media. Record stores now devote as much space or more to vinyl over CD, because they *need* to, not because they want to. It's what people who shop at record stores are buying.
    Yup, just like in the late 70's pre-recorded musicassettes were solidly eating away at vinyl's shares.

music formats.jpg

Lotsa people blame the CD to have killed the vinyl, but it's actually the cassette that did so (not totally, though)... and the Cd killed the cassette (for good)

Well these 60+ years' old ears are pretty shot from listening to both recorded and live music for so many years, so I'll never pretend to be an expert on the sonic qualities of vinyl vs CD.
    However, I have to hand it to those marketing guys once more; new releases on 180g vinyl, usually double gatefold, complete with a free CD copy, and if you buy at the right time and from the right source only a few quid more than the CD only.
    In this listen anywhere age, that gives me vinyl for the man-cave; CD for the car, and again CD for uploading to the iPod. All in one purchase.

I'm loving it.
    She walks like a bearded rainbow.

Actually if an analog compression with a smooth non-linear tube like gain curve is used, it can be inverted, of course all assumes high SNR.
    Do you have any links that back up this claim? It's contrary to everything I've ever heard or read, and contrary to my own experience.

Aren't "smooth" and "non-linear" pretty much opposites?

Compression creates distortion, analog or CD. So I don't know what you are describing. There is no reason for compression in digital. In fact the first digital production I bought was Stravinsky's Firebird suite on vinyl. This piece had really huge bass peaks that you could see in grooves.
    Well yes, physically changing the waveforms from what was recorded is technically "distorting" it but what I meant is that waveforms can hit 0dB in digital and be reproduced exactly as written -- something vinyl isn't capable of, due to the impossibility of moving a stylus that fast and that far. Because of this ability to encode loudness without waveform distortion, engineers discovered that compressing digital recordings made them sound better to most people (and sound better on cheaper stereos) so the Loudness Wars began.

"Huge bass peaks" on vinyl still had to be brickwall filtered below 50Hz and subjected to the RIAA pre-EQ in order to create a navigable LP groove. No such limitation exists on CD.

Telarc released several early CDs with warnings about high SPLs and warning of speaker damage if played too loud, but when you look at the waveforms they encoded on the discs they are oversaturated -- with clipping (waveform distortion) built-in. That's why they sound loud even when played back at minimal volume.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 06-13-2016 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vmartell View Post
    was trying to keep the convo out of analog vs. digital OR technical stuff - but the gear part is interesting... my gear is

Pioneer PLX-1000 - marketed as a DJ table, but it is really a hi-fi/audiophile turntable and great one at that - best price performance ratio
    Ortofon 2M blue - great cart - balanced, not overly heavy on the bass
    Schiit Audio system - Ragnarok and Mani
    Speakers - Focal Chorus 816
    HiFiMan 400i (headphones)

monoprice cables ( because expensive cables are bullshit)

Extremly happy with it - care to share yours?

v
    I have the same turntable/cartridge combination and love it! I have NAD amplification and the Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers. A nice little system that didn't break the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    I have the same turntable/cartridge combination and love it! I have NAD amplification and the Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers. A nice little system that didn't break the bank.
    1) Just noticed your avatar - maybe we need a thread on classical music and prog - how much of a crossover really?

2) I think you hit it right in the head - our systems are sensible and great sounding - audiophiles can get pretty crazy - we just like good sound....

v

Banned
    Well yes, physically changing the waveforms from what was recorded is technically "distorting" it but what I meant is that waveforms can hit 0dB in digital and be reproduced exactly as written -- something vinyl isn't capable of, due to the impossibility of moving a stylus that fast and that far. Because of this ability to encode loudness without waveform distortion, engineers discovered that compressing digital recordings made them sound better to most people (and sound better on cheaper stereos) so the Loudness Wars began.

"Huge bass peaks" on vinyl still had to be brickwall filtered below 50Hz and subjected to the RIAA pre-EQ in order to create a navigable LP groove. No such limitation exists on CD.

Telarc released several early CDs with warnings about high SPLs and warning of speaker damage if played too loud, but when you look at the waveforms they encoded on the discs they are oversaturated -- with clipping (waveform distortion) built-in. That's why they sound loud even when played back at minimal volume.
    Telarc recordings never sound loud. How do you know what gave there, the analog section of the CD player or the preamp?

Then all you have to do is look at total sales and determine the percentage. CDs are still the major 'proportion' of music sales.

Then all you have to do is look at total sales and determine the percentage. CDs are still the major 'proportion' of music sales.
    I understand that, but that's where vinyl has gained significantly, and continues to gain. Vinyl revenues continue to gain significantly against the CD and will continue to do so for the forseeable future, as CD sales continue to crater and vinyl sales continue to increase.

Banned
    I understand that, but that's where vinyl has gained significantly, and continues to gain. Vinyl revenues continue to gain significantly against the CD and will continue to do so for the forseeable future, as CD sales continue to crater and vinyl sales continue to increase.
    What are total (high def, downloads, real time stream) digital sales vs vinyl? I suspect vinyl is puny and there is a trend towards more real time stream sales versus downloads or CDs.