Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Misleading band names

1910 Fruitgum Company. Not a Boy Band - Barbershop Quartet hybrid.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    I think you missed the point that I don't care.
    Yea, well that's boringly obvious from every thread you hijack.

Stars in Battledress

I expected some tryingtobehip indieband but they are actually very good ☺

10cc

(surely someone recall how they got their name....LOL)

The Stooges. Not one of them was named Larry, Moe or Curly. There wasn't even a Shemp.
    Four "fake Shemps" perhaps?

Nurse With Wound - not sure what I expected, but I love it

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Iron Maiden (Much more lightweight and melodic than I expected. I didn't know they were basically power metal.)
    If Iron Maiden are "lightweight", then I'm just fine with that. Melodic I have no problem. And if that's what "power metal" is (though my understanding is Maiden had something like a decade's jump on most of the power metal bands), then I should probably check out more power metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Slaughter.

The band is named after the real last name of the lead singer, Mark Slaughter. However, I knew what type of music they were making since I was friends with them. The first name they were thinking of was Slaughterhouse.
    I suppose one might expect a band with that name to be "heavier", whatever that entails. If they had been a quintet they could have called themselves Slaughterhouse 5.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Mahavishnu Orchestra. Not sitar.
    And not an actual orchestra, either.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    They were never power metal. They started almost as a punk band, then morphed into one of the rawest of the nwobhm bands.
    Don't tell 'Arry that. He professes a lifelong hatred of all things "punk", to the point of refusing to credit the DIY ethos of punk toward inspire Maiden towards self releasing their first EP.

To me, they always sounded like a blend of progressive rock and heavy metal, done much more tastefully than any of the so called "prog metal" bands (the ones I've heard anyway), with the occasional radio friendly single (because, as Darryl Hall once noted, "ya gotta have something in 4/4 time"). I never heard them as "punky", until it was pointed out that there was a "punk" aesthetic present on the first album, whether 'Arry wants to admit it or not.

Leonard Skinner was I beleive an Alabama teacher, and Lynyrd Skynyrd played Alabama rock.....couldn't be more appropriate unless they called themselves Alabama....but that band name was already taken
    Florida. The band was from Florida. Jacksonville, to be exact. Leonard Skinner was, I believe, Gary Rossington and Ronnie Van Zandt's high school gym teacher, who was supposedly notorious for punishing male students for having long hair. Skinner himself was interviewed once and he said "Lots of teachers at our school punished students for violating the dress code, but it was just my luck, a couple of my students ended up in a band".

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I keep hearing stories about people who think the Grateful Dead were some kind of satanic heavy metal band, when they were really more

than

When I was in high school, a lot of kids had that reaction. I had a couple Grateful Dead shirts (one with the SKullfuck cover, another with the Blues For Allah cover), and I gather between those two and the band name, they thought the Dead were a metal band. Then one day, for whatever reason, I had brought one of the Dead books I had to school, and I remember one of my classmates seeing a picture of them onstage, and saying "They don't look like a heavy metal band".

Best call so far. First time I listened to them was only about a year ago, and I was totally expecting some sort of industrial, techno, EBM. I think a lot of people get fooled by the name Snarky Puppy because of its similarity to the name of the dark-avant industrial band Skinny Puppy.
    Guilty!

The Stooges. Not one of them was named Larry, Moe or Curly. There wasn't even a Shemp..
    But it did pave the way for one of my favorite lines on The Venture Brothers, where Dr. Girlfriend complains about Phantom Limb siccing his "stooges" on her, in this case, Iggy Pop and Klaus Nomi. Klaus responds, "But I wasn't in the Stooges!".

Mothers of Invention. Not a pair of tits among them.
    The original band name was simply The Mothers, which was chosen because Frank wanted to convey the point that the band was comprised of "real motherfuckers", meaning top flight musicians. "Of Invention" was added to placate MGM, who determined that "The Mothers" was too suggestive or inflammatory or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    10cc

(surely someone recall how they got their name....LOL)
    Sure, just ask The Lovin' Spoonful...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    1910 Fruitgum Company. Not a Boy Band - Barbershop Quartet hybrid.
    What would make you expect Barbershop Quartet?

I remember the first time I saw the band's name used in some kind of "pop music" quiz in a magazine, I thought it was made up, I didn't think there could have possibly been a band called the 1910 Fruitgum Company. To this day, I have no idea what they sang, or even if I've ever heard them (remember, I was born in 1973, so I missed the era when "oldies" weren't yet "oldies").

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

I remember the first time I saw the band's name used in some kind of "pop music" quiz in a magazine, I thought it was made up, I didn't think there could have possibly been a band called the 1910 Fruitgum Company. To this day, I have no idea what they sang, or even if I've ever heard them (remember, I was born in 1973, so I missed the era when "oldies" weren't yet "oldies").
    "1 2 3 Red Light", "Indian Giver" and "Yummy Yummy Yummy" were their top 3 hits on the Buddha label.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    "1 2 3 Red Light", "Indian Giver" and "Yummy Yummy Yummy" were their top 3 hits on the Buddha label.
    OK, yeah, I've heard Yummy Yummy Yummy. I can't keep track of all those bands from the 60's who had just a few hits. To this day, I still have no idea who sang Let's Live For Today, for instance.

To this day, I still have no idea who sang Let's Live For Today, for instance.
    Grass Roots, same band who did "Midnight Confessions," "Temptation Eyes," "I'd Wait a Million Years," and "Sooner or Later," among others. Creed Bratton from The Office was in the band.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Grass Roots, same band who did "Midnight Confessions," "Temptation Eyes," "I'd Wait a Million Years," and "Sooner or Later," among others. Creed Bratton from The Office was in the band.
    I think the Grass Roots was one of the bands I saw a few years ago, on a bill with Mickey Dolenz and Flo & Eddie. I think there was a fourth group on the bill, but I can't remember who it was, and I can't remember what the big hit that was played at the end of their set was.

Grass Roots were different session musicians on different singles. I don't think any of them actually played at the same time until it was decided to assemble a band to play some of the hits live.

I saw Flo & Eddie, The Grass Roots, Paul Revere & The Raiders, Peter Noone and somebody else -- Johnny River? -- at the Puyallup State Fair about 1994. It was a surprisingly good show.

Oh, and the Beach Boys the year after that. I think Mike Love was the only original member there.

Smoking Popes. Sounds like a punk band, but was prog. Snarky Puppy would have been my first choice as well.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

<Sigh> Because anytime the period from 1890-1918 is depicted in pop culture, the musical presentation is 4 guys with white long sleeved shirts, red and white striped vests, and cork hats standing under a gazebo in a village square singing "Sweet Adeline" or "My Fucking Bonny Lies Over The Ocean."

Yea, well that's boringly obvious from every thread you hijack.
    Lighten up, Francis. It's a music forum, go peddle your indignation elsewhere. If we were doing dissertations I would certainly give "Misleading Band Names" all the due diligence such a noteworthy and earth-shaking subject so richly deserves.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    They were never power metal. They started almost as a punk band, then morphed into one of the rawest of the nwobhm bands.
    Well, some of their earlier stuff reminds me a lot of Helloween and some other power metal. Not neo-classical power metal of course.