Page 58 of 159 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108158 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 3968

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Yep, that's one of the very few movies I try to see every time it's on.
    My wife's favorite. Excellent movie.

Can't wait for multiple airings of Christmas in Connecticut (the house! the food! Sidney Greenstreet!)
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Can't wait for multiple airings of Christmas in Connecticut (the house! the food! Sidney Greenstreet!)
    And Cuddles.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I think I've tried watching this a couple of times and never been pulled in. But I felt like I should have been. I'll be sure to give it a better try this year - yeah, it's always on during the holidays, that's for sure.

It seems there are issues surrounding Sonja Henie, but I'm able to ignore them (and if I can, many can). I happen to love her movie "One in a Million." It's just very cozy and Wintery, despite the Ritz Brothers being a bit annoying. Would love to see it on AMC, but am watching someone's post on YouTube since it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    I have started scanning TCM for classics I've never seen or haven't seen in ages, and DVRing them. Last night I watched "The Last Picture Show" for the first time. In addition to being such a beautifully shot film, some of the performances are outstanding. I knew Cloris Leachman from the Mel Brooks films and Mary Tyler Moore, but she's just spectacular in TLPS, and won an Oscar. Next up in the queue: Twelve Angry Men.
    Big fan of The Last Picture Show, what a cast. The scrumptious young Cybill Shepard's very first film (and she gets nekkid). Jeff Bridges second film. Cloris Leachman, Randy Quaid, Timothy Bottoms, Ellen Burstyn, Eileen Brennan, and old western actor Ben Johnson. I always thought Last Picture Show and Hud would be a great double bill--both great black and white films made about the dying Old West.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Big fan of The Last Picture Show, what a cast. The scrumptious young Cybill Shepard's very first film (and she gets nekkid). Jeff Bridges second film. Cloris Leachman, Randy Quaid, Timothy Bottoms, Ellen Burstyn, Eileen Brennan, and old western actor Ben Johnson. I always thought Last Picture Show and Hud would be a great double bill--both great black and white films made about the dying Old West.
    For Hud, not so much about the dying west but more about a man who would sell everything for a dollar. Oil companies were punching holes and Paul Newman wanted a piece. Family and everything they had done, worked for and built meant nothing. I suppose diseased cattle was the last straw. Why work and sweat when you can have a life of luxury? I think we once talked about his car in the film. Wondering if it was a Caddie or a boat sized Plymouth? Anyway, he sure gave Patricia Neal a rough go. Yep, a great film.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Yep, that's one of the very few movies I try to see every time it's on.
    Lee J. Cobb and Ed Begley were at the height of their dramatic powers. They both would make you wilt.

It's on TCM right now! Sorry, I wasn't able to post earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It's on TCM right now! Sorry, I wasn't able to post earlier.
    Yeah, got a feeling you won't have to wait long for the next showing. Almost anywhere.

I want to see all the old animated Christmas shows. Charlie Brown, Frosty the Snowman, Mr. Magoo, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    I want to see all the old animated Christmas shows. Charlie Brown, Frosty the Snowman, Mr. Magoo, etc.
    Charlie Brown was on last week.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Charlie Brown was on last week.
    Was hoping they would turn up in multiple showings. Didn't the Disney channel bundle these things together and show them? Anyway, I saw a film with John Aston the other day. Looked to be a Blazing Saddles western knock off with Aston as the bad guy. Have you seen this or know what it might be?

Was hoping they would turn up in multiple showings. Didn't the Disney channel bundle these things together and show them? Anyway, I saw a film with John Aston the other day. Looked to be a Blazing Saddles western knock off with Aston as the bad guy. Have you seen this or know what it might be?
    I don't recall Disney ever playing any of those. It's usually ABC or CBS. I think it's ABC this year. So, they could do more showings, even on the Family Channel, which I think they own.

Then again, doesn't Disney own ABC these days?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The Ultimate Holiday Viewing Guide (supposedly):

https://www.tvguide.com/news/holiday-tv-guide-2018/

Anyway, I saw a film with John Aston the other day. Looked to be a Blazing Saddles western knock off with Aston as the bad guy. Have you seen this or know what it might be?
    If it's the movie with Mickey Rooney as a railroad tycoon, it's called Evil Roy Slade. I'm pretty sure it was a TV movie. Haven't seen it since it first aired, tho. Was it any good?

Then again, doesn't Disney own ABC these days?
    Yep. And ESPN.

Comcast owns NBC, National Amusements owns CBS (and Viacom), 21st Century Fox owns Fox, and AT&T owns WarnerMedia (HBO, Turner Broadcasting, etc).

There is way too much media consolidation.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    If it's the movie with Mickey Rooney as a railroad tycoon, it's called Evil Roy Slade. I'm pretty sure it was a TV movie. Haven't seen it since it first aired, tho. Was it any good?

Yep. And ESPN.

Comcast owns NBC, National Amusements owns CBS (and Viacom), 21st Century Fox owns Fox, and AT&T owns WarnerMedia (HBO, Turner Broadcasting, etc).

That's it, Evil Roy Slade. Blazing Saddles very lite, I would say. It manages a couple of good ones. Thanks for the viewing guide.

Yep. And ESPN.

And Disney is now buying all of Fox's intellectual property (such as it is). I guess it includes a lot of stuff actually, but I'm not sure what.

Yep. And ESPN.

If you came up with Evil Roy Slade without any Google assist , your Good!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    And Disney is now buying all of Fox's intellectual property (such as it is). I guess it includes a lot of stuff actually, but I'm not sure what.
    If that includes 20th Century Fox , its a lot. From Planet Of The Apes , to innumerable BW classics. And inbetween.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    If that includes 20th Century Fox , its a lot. From Planet Of The Apes , to innumerable BW classics. And inbetween.
    Yeah, that's what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    If you came up with Evil Roy Slade without any Google assist , your Good!
    Well, yes and no. I am blessed with a great memory but I remember certain things because of associations that get stuck in my head; e.g. my brother & I had to spend the night at our grandmother's one time and she was a Mickey Rooney fan. So we watched that movie, altho I only vaguely remember it... and we had Cap'n Crunch for breakfast the next morning. But mostly, in this case, I recently saw a reference to Sean Astin, whose parents are Patty Duke and John Astin, which led me to reading up on John Astin (on Wikipedia), who you'll recall was Gomez in The Addams Family. So, it was fresh in my memory.

But some of the things I remember are weird, like Carol Lynley being Darren McGavin's girlfriend in The Night Stalker. And I remember that because she was also in an episode of Night Gallery around the same time and was then the love interest of Roddy MacDowall in The Poseidon Adventure, who just happened to be in the pilot of Night Gallery, which was hosted by Rod Serling who went to Antioch College, which is about 12 miles from my home, and whose first president was Horace Mann, which was also the name of my elementary school.

Shit, man, I still remember all the presidents that I had to learn for 8th grade American History.

OTOH, I still sometimes confuse Jeff Daniels and Bill Pullman. And I can't ever remember the differences between El Dorado, Rio Bravo, and Rio Lobo, which were all Howard Hawks/John Wayne movies. And Support Your Local Sheriff and Support Your Local Gunfighter throw me off, too.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Well, yes and no. I am blessed with a great memory but I remember certain things because of associations that get stuck in my head; e.g. my brother & I had to spend the night at our grandmother's one time and she was a Mickey Rooney fan. So we watched that movie, altho I only vaguely remember it... and we had Cap'n Crunch for breakfast the next morning. But mostly, in this case, I recently saw a reference to Sean Astin, whose parents are Patty Duke and John Astin, which led me to reading up on John Astin (on Wikipedia), who you'll recall was Gomez in The Addams Family. So, it was fresh in my memory.

But some of the things I remember are weird, like Carol Lynley being Darren McGavin's girlfriend in The Night Stalker. And I remember that because she was also in an episode of Night Gallery around the same time and was then the love interest of Roddy MacDowall in The Poseidon Adventure, who just happened to be in the pilot of Night Gallery, which was hosted by Rod Serling who went to Antioch College, which is about 12 miles from my home, and whose first president was Horace Mann, which was also the name of my elementary school.

Shit, man, I still remember all the presidents that I had to learn for 8th grade American History.

OTOH, I still sometimes confuse Jeff Daniels and Bill Pullman. And I can't ever remember the differences between El Dorado, Rio Bravo, and Rio Lobo, which were all Howard Hawks/John Wayne movies. And Support Your Local Sheriff and Support Your Local Gunfighter throw me off, too.
    Oh, I got the westerns. You can remember El Dorado because Cain keeps reciting that poem the old gambler taught him. Rio Bravo is easy with Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson. They of course, sing. You can do it.

Sounds like me. I remember all the useless information. But ask me what time of day my daughters were born and I cannot seem to get it to stick in my cranium.

That Night Gallery pilot was great. I love that story with McDowell. I wish the series held up better than it does.

I can't remember Roddy McDowell having a love interest in The Poseidon Adventure! I need to see that movie again - I think it was the first or one of the first 70s disaster films I saw (I think in a theater), and most of it stuck with me. It seemed pretty visceral at the time, but I'm not sure it would now. My dad took me to see a lot of disaster movies. Not sure why he thought that was a good idea, but maybe it was. What a funny genre, when you think about it.