Page 20 of 159 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120 ... LastLast

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Banned
    So many classics mentioned, didn't have time to scan the entire thread but in case it wasn't mentioned

Repulsion (1965) Director: Roman Polanski

- a powerful movie, dark and nicely psychotic. Masterful performance by a young and innocently gorgeous Catherine Deneuve...

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    So many classics mentioned, didn't have time to scan the entire thread but in case it wasn't mentioned

Repulsion (1965) Director: Roman Polanski

- a powerful movie, dark and nicely psychotic. Masterful performance by a young and innocently gorgeous Catherine Deneuve...
    Yes, it's been some time since I've seen it. I know it's about two sisters who live together and the problems this can bring. I know one of the sisters is a little off center though. As for Polanski, people still remember his troubles with a very young girl. He wasn't able to rid himself of these accusations.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Ronmac, I forgot to ask but did you go ahead and watch the Quiet Man as well?
    It turned out that I actually saw that a few months ago. It was pretty fun.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Banned
    Yes, it's been some time since I've seen it. I know it's about two sisters who live together and the problems this can bring. I know one of the sisters is a little off center though. As for Polanski, people still remember his troubles with a very young girl. He wasn't able to rid himself of these accusations.
    Indeed - perhaps it took a Polanski to bring this dark story to the silver screen...

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    It turned out that I actually saw that a few months ago. It was pretty fun.
    There was a lot of talk about the two of them while Wayne was still married. I read that they actually lived rather close to each other.

There was a lot of talk about the two of them while Wayne was still married. I read that they actually lived rather close to each other.
    Wayne slept around. He was linked with many of the big names of his time.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Wayne slept around. He was linked with many of the big names of his time.
    And before. There's an old story of how one of the first sex symbols in Hollywood (Clara Bow or Theda Bara... I can't remember) slept with some of the athletes from the USC football team and Wayne was one of them. Supposedly.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Maureen O'Sullivan? Who wouldn't?.

I love that bit where she's helped Wayne burn the money, and then sashays off with a smile on her face and a glint in her eye.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Anyone here join the TCM Backlot club? You have to sign up for a whole year so I'm leery. They say you can stream hundreds of movies, but I'm worried it's only on the website or something and not through an app or Roku. Also, I'd like to know what they selection is like first.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Anyone here join the TCM Backlot club? You have to sign up for a whole year so I'm leery. They say you can stream hundreds of movies, but I'm worried it's only on the website or something and not through an app or Roku. Also, I'd like to know what they selection is like first.
    I have all your concerns as well Dr. I hear the ads for it but I would like to know more on the selection. Also, I still have cable of which TCM is apart of. But for some reason in my neck of the woods, they won't allow streaming to your tablet. They want you to pay a separate streaming charge for that. However, I'm told my cable company is trying to change this.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Maureen O'Sullivan? Who wouldn't?.

I love that bit where she's helped Wayne burn the money, and then sashays off with a smile on her face and a glint in her eye.
    I like the scene where she has cleaned the cottage and tries to sneak out. Wayne catches her at the open door. the wind is blowing her hair and he gives her a kiss. A very nice visual scene. All that to do over the money and all she does when she gets it, is burn it. Oh man.

Maureen was around for a long time and had ageless beauty throughout. From Esmeralda in The Hunchback Of Notra Dame in the 30's to John Candy's mom in only the lonely in the 90's. She was never more beautifully photographed than in the Quiet Man. I'll always remember her in that film and in Miracle On 34th Street.

Maureen also looked good enough to eat in the Parent Trap.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Maureen also looked good enough to eat in the Parent Trap.
    Dang, you're right! I'd...do that. After getting Brian Keith the F out of the way. I have a funny memory of my older brother reading a book of The Parent Trap and having the hots for Hayley Mills based on the photo on the cover!

Last edited by JKL2000; 08-24-2017 at 09:41 AM.

Well, like Michaleen said, "Sean, that red hair is no lie".

Just a reminder that, if anyone wants ot see a great movie, I highly recommend "Diabolique," which will be on TCM at 10:15 EST tonight. If you don't mind subtitles, this one's a keeper. And what an ending!

Before Psycho, Peeping Tom, and Repulsion, there was Diabolique. This thriller from Henri‑Georges Clouzot, which shocked audiences in Europe and the U.S., is the story of two women—the fragile wife and the willful mistress of the sadistic headmaster of a boys' boarding school—who hatch a daring revenge plot. With its unprecedented narrative twists and terrifying images, Diabolique is a heart-grabbing benchmark in horror filmmaking, featuring outstanding performances by Simone Signoret, Véra Clouzot, and Paul Meurisse.

LEONARD MALTIN'S REVIEW:
    D: Henri-Georges Clouzot. Simone Signoret, Vera Clouzot, Paul Meurisse, Charles Vanel, Michel Serrault. Tyrannical school- master (Meurisse) is bumped off by his long-suffering wife (Clouzot) and mistress (Signoret). Classic chiller builds slowly, surely to final quarter hour that will drive you right up the wall. A must.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Either you put a stop to this or I'm going to need a few minutes alone.

White Heat tonight.

White Heat tonight.
    Great ending to that movie.

Also tonight , The Roaring Twenties. This one is the culmination of the classic 30's pairings of Bogart and Cagney with a killer end climax. White Heat is no slouch in climax scenes either. Cagney is vicious in a way his studio image and censors couldn't allow in the 30s.

White Heat in 3 minutes on TCM. I'm logging off now.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

MADE IT MA, TOP OF THE WORLD!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Also tonight , The Roaring Twenties. This one is the culmination of the classic 30's pairings of Bogart and Cagney with a killer end climax.
    I don't think I've seen that. As of tomorrow, I will have.