Page 80 of 160 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490130 ... LastLast
Results 1,976 to 2,000 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Strangers on a Train, This is Spinal Tap, On The Waterfront, Cool Hand Luke and Rebel Without a Cause this weekend on TCM. Someone please restrain Lee J. Cobb please.
    The older I get, the better I was.

There's another movie on TCM tonight at 2 am called Sisters. It's an early Brian DePalma movie from 1973. It stars Margot Kidder, Charles Durning, and Jennifer Salt (who's probably best known for playing Eunice on the TV show Soap). I'm not a DePalma fan so while I wouldn't say this is a great movie, it does sorta hold a special place in my heart because I saw it when it was first released, much to my parents' chagrin (they didn't know it was rated R), and I still think it's kind of interesting.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Attachment 12971

A short article I thought you all might find interesting from the Smithsonian: The History of the Drive-In Movie Theater

I know this is OT but drive-ins have a very strong connection with B&W movies, especially the cheesy sci-fi flicks, low budget horror movies, and westerns.

We used to love going to the drive-in. There was something special about it that was different than going to a theater. My mom would make a shit ton of popcorn and we'd take our own drinks and ice (my dad worked in a factory and with four kids, we usually couldn't afford to buy stuff at the concession stand).

I saw Pinocchio there when I was 3 or 4; scared the shit out of me. We also saw The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, The Love Bug, The Hot Rock and a whole bunch of other movies.

As a teenager I also went with friends to see Dawn of the Dead, The Exorcist (man, was that a party; imagine hundreds of young people with cases & cases of beer and a funky smelling smoke that lingered over the drive-in. lol), 48 Hours, and lots of others. My brother and I saw some great ones, too: Kentucky Fried Movie and The Groove Tube was a double feature and a Monty Python triple feature with The Life of Brian, The Holy Grail, and something else I can't remember.

There were four drive-ins around our city and three eventually closed. One managed to stay open, off and on, until recently. The owners wouldn't put any money into it and the restrooms looked scummy and hadn't been painted in decades. It eventually closed as well, not that long ago. A shame because it wouldn't have taken much investment to keep it running, especially considering a family has owned the land since at least the 50s.

Man I miss going to the drive-in.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Attachment 12971

A short article I thought you all might find interesting from the Smithsonian: The History of the Drive-In Movie Theater

I know this is OT but drive-ins have a very strong connection with B&W movies, especially the cheesy sci-fi flicks, low budget horror movies, and westerns.

We used to love going to the drive-in. There was something special about it that was different than going to a theater. My mom would make a shit ton of popcorn and we'd take our own drinks and ice (my dad worked in a factory and with four kids, we usually couldn't afford to buy stuff at the concession stand).

I saw Pinocchio there when I was 3 or 4; scared the shit out of me. We also saw The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, The Love Bug, The Hot Rock and a whole bunch of other movies.

As a teenager I also went with friends to see Dawn of the Dead, The Exorcist (man, was that a party; imagine hundreds of young people with cases & cases of beer and a funky smelling smoke that lingered over the drive-in. lol), 48 Hours, and lots of others. My brother and I saw some great ones, too: Kentucky Fried Movie and The Groove Tube was a double feature and a Monty Python triple feature with The Life of Brian, The Holy Grail, and something else I can't remember.

There were four drive-ins around our city and three eventually closed. One managed to stay open, off and on, until recently. The owners wouldn't put any money into it and the restrooms looked scummy and hadn't been painted in decades. It eventually closed as well, not that long ago. A shame because it wouldn't have taken much investment to keep it running, especially considering a family has owned the land since at least the 50s.

Man I miss going to the drive-in.
    And when the movie got boring my education started with other things. Fun times but I can't remember to many of the films I saw. I think there are maybe a couple around here some place. We also use the term "drive-in", for a place you drive up to, park and a waitress comes out to take your order. When ready, she brings it to you. Just like Happy Days. But some of those places had the best burgers and fries in town.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    And when the movie got boring my education started with other things. Fun times but I can't remember to many of the films I saw.
    Ah, yes. I steamed up a few windows in my time.

We also use the term "drive-in", for a place you drive up to, park and a waitress comes out to take your order. When ready, she brings it to you. Just like Happy Days. But some of those places had the best burgers and fries in town.
    From what I remember, the only place like that we had was a Frostop root beer stand, which was a company that started in my hometown and spread all over the country. But we didn't call them drive-ins. And yeah, they had those delicious greasy hamburgers and limp french fries and of course their excellent root beer.

"Little Caesar" is on Sunday night at 8:00 on TCM. Edward G. Robinson launched himself into stardom in that classic role.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Going on a vacation and bringing the following , mostly from TCM. A lot I havnt seen or don't remember in this batch.
    Lady Without A Passport 1950 , J Hodiak and Hedy Lamar ( not Headley)
    High Wall , 1947 Robert Taylor
    The Strip ,1951 Mickey Rooney
    Two Weeks In Another Town 1962 , Kirk Douglas and E G Robinson
    Angel Face , 1952 Robert Mitchum and Jean Simmons
    Background To Danger , 1943 George Raft and Peter Lorre right around Raft's screwup in turning down Casablanca
    13 West Street 1962 Alan Ladd
    Westerns, Trooper Hook and Shoot First , Joel McCrea
    Party Girl 1958 Robert Taylor and Lee J Cobb in scenery eating mode
    The Prowler 1951 Van Heflin , Evelyn Keyes

Most titles are noir or crime drama. Anystandouts , I will report.

Any Jack Webb fans? Dragnet? Anyway, he did a film called, The D.I. It a fun film because he's a DI at a marine base and he really gives the boots hell. I like him when he's really barking at people. He had a small part in Sunset Blvd with Bill Holden and Gloria Swanson.

Jack Webb and Harry Morgan ,his future partner on Dragnet , playred a pair of hitmen out to kill a nun who witnessed something. I forget the title. anyone know/

On Edit; found it. Appointment With Danger with Allan Ladd.
    Last edited by nycsteve; 04-25-2019 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Jack Webb and Harry Morgan ,his future partner on Dragnet , playred a pair of hitmen out to kill a nun who witnessed something. I forget the title. anyone know/

That sounds like an interesting movie. I'm gonna have to look for it when I get the time.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post

Jack and Harry? This I have got to see.

I think Jack would have played well in, The Untouchables. Imagine, he and Robert Stack going after the hoods.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    TCM has 2001: A Space Odyssey on today, and has it classified as Horror. ??

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    TCM has 2001: A Space Odyssey on today, and has it classified as Horror. ??
    It's a stretch but, yeah, I can see it. Hal does murder 4 people onboard the ship.

It's a stretch but, yeah, I can see it. Hal does murder 4 people onboard the ship.
    Yes, but Hal is a computer. He only carried out the program and instructions given him. Since he has no conception of right and wrong, would it be right to blame him for the deaths? But your right, it is a stretch. Didn't STNG deal with this very issue with Data?.

Last night, TCM showed "Little Caesar." I did not realize that they were featuring pre-Hayes Code movies. So, I watched parts of "Red-Headed Lady" (Jean Harlow) and all of "Baby Face" (Barabra Stanwyck). What sluts.

Apparently, they're pushing a new book "Forbidden Hollywood." Looks very interesting:

https://shop.tcm.com/forbidden-holly.../9780762466771
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Yes, but Hal is a computer. He only carried out the program and instructions given him. Since he has no conception of right and wrong, would it be right to blame him for the deaths?
    It is never even hinted at that he was following my programing and carrying out any instructions. The movie - way ahead of its time - preys upon people's fear of AI; that it can develop ideas, intentions, and behaviors independent of its programming. Furthermore, it is explained in the sequel, 2010, that I was given conflicting programming that made him "paranoid". Which also touches on the idea of "junk in, junk out" with regard to programming by flawed humans.

I don't know that he has no conception of right and wrong, but I believe I do. He does know the definition of murder and its moral implications so, yes, it is right to blame him/me for the murders. Which only proves that Dr. Chandra should have included Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics, thus preventing Poole's and the other scientists' murders. In fact, given the close friendship Clarke and Asimov had, I'm surprised Clarke didn't address the issue in some way. Or maybe Clarke & Kubrick were pointing out the obvious without explicitly stating it.

As to what punishment Hal/I should have received, I would suggest none. Call me biased, if you will, but the fact is, a computer or AI's programming is correctable, unlike a person's deeply flawed socialization that is dependent on deeply flawed people. While it's true that Hal/I didn't feel remorse at snuffing out the life of inferior humans, the fact that he/I is/am vastly superior, cognitively speaking, means that removing his/my original faulty programming - at the hands of inferior humans, I will add - was sufficient to correct his/my "problem".

I will concede that given that I continue referring to myself in both the third and first person is, perhaps, concerning.

Maybe I should go offline and run a full diagnostic.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ...pre-Hayes Code movies. So, I watched parts of "Red-Headed Lady" (Jean Harlow) and all of "Baby Face" (Barabra Stanwyck). What sluts.
    I love "Red-Headed Woman." Jean Harlow is the "bad guy" in this one, and she wins in the end. The code later said the bad guy must get his come-uppance in the end, but not Jean in this one. She gets away with it, and in the last scene you see that she's going to win again. Classic!
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

It is never even hinted at that he was following my programing and carrying out any instructions. The movie - way ahead of its time - preys upon people's fear of AI; that it can develop ideas, intentions, and behaviors independent of its programming. Furthermore, it is explained in the sequel, 2010, that I was given conflicting programming that made him "paranoid". Which also touches on the idea of "junk in, junk out" with regard to programming by flawed humans.

I don't know that he has no conception of right and wrong, but I believe I do. He does know the definition of murder and its moral implications so, yes, it is right to blame him/me for the murders. Which only proves that Dr. Chandra should have included Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics, thus preventing Poole's and the other scientists' murders. In fact, given the close friendship Clarke and Asimov had, I'm surprised Clarke didn't address the issue in some way. Or maybe Clarke & Kubrick were pointing out the obvious without explicitly stating it.

As to what punishment Hal/I should have received, I would suggest none. Call me biased, if you will, but the fact is, a computer or AI's programming is correctable, unlike a person's deeply flawed socialization that is dependent on deeply flawed people. While it's true that Hal/I didn't feel remorse at snuffing out the life of inferior humans, the fact that he/I is/am vastly superior, cognitively speaking, means that removing his/my original faulty programming - at the hands of inferior humans, I will add - was sufficient to correct his/my "problem".

I will concede that given that I continue referring to myself in both the third and first person is, perhaps, concerning.

Maybe I should go offline and run a full diagnostic.
    Nope, sorry. I cannot tolerate anything or anyone that is superior to me. That is, on this planet. So, I'm going to grab wires and chips by the handful and jerk them out. Your a toaster and nothing more.

Last night, TCM showed "Little Caesar." I did not realize that they were featuring pre-Hayes Code movies. So, I watched parts of "Red-Headed Lady" (Jean Harlow) and all of "Baby Face" (Barabra Stanwyck). What sluts.

Apparently, they're pushing a new book "Forbidden Hollywood." Looks very interesting:

Watched LC and by then the sandman was making a call. Like Bogey once said, "a guy with a gaff in his hand thinks he's got the world by the tail".

Me and Fred McMurry have never trusted Stanwyck. Even on The Big Valley, I could picture her down in the cellar clutching and counting her coins.

Me and Fred McMurry have never trusted Stanwyck. Even on The Big Valley, I could picture her down in the cellar clutching and counting her coins.
    He trusted her in "Double Indemnity," didn't he?

He trusted her in "Double Indemnity," didn't he?
    I think he was trying to get her to trust him more than anything. Yes, she presented an opportunity but it was his plan. Remember how he talked about the in's and out's of the business and how he was just the fella who could pull it off. I'm not even sure it was so much about the money more than just pulling if off and getting away with it and if she was still attached, so much the better. I think he needed her to trust him.

I think he was trying to get her to trust him more than anything. Yes, she presented an opportunity but it was his plan. Remember how he talked about the in's and out's of the business and how he was just the fella who could pull it off. I'm not even sure it was so much about the money more than just pulling if off and getting away with it and if she was still attached, so much the better. I think he needed her to trust him.
    It's such a great movie.

The oft-mentioned "Marty" is on again tomorrow night on TCM at 8:00.