Page 6 of 160 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    It is odd. Wonder what the science is behind this is. I see it mostly in autos. It looks beautiful in one color but a total mess in another. The exact same car.
    The science behind it is optical interpretation of light waves, in some peoples' eyes the B & W interpretation is stronger, in others it is colour. Totally agree on the cars as well. I was at a motor meet last week, mostly big old yank tanks, but I'm always drawn to the small classic Euros, anyway there was a small 70s Fiat 126 resprayed in a custom bronze-orange that looked fantastic. Another Fiat, same model, same age had been resprayed in a very dark, almost brown-purple red and it looked bloody awful to my eyes.

Generally though I think cars look best in black, blue, green, brown and really bright custom colours and pastels and also in 2-tones or in 2-tone pastels blue/cream and green/cream.

All shades of red, white, silver and purple cars just look wrong to me. For me red cars look like all colour and no car and give me eye strain. White cars just look like sad anonymous blobs and soften all the lines and features far too much.
    Last edited by PeterG; 06-15-2016 at 06:50 AM.

Kurosawa's Throne of Blood.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'm not sure I saw European films (German, French or Italian) mentioned here.

Surely there must be quite a few that are worthy.
    F. W. Murnau for some of the greatest German silents.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    The science behind it is optical interpretation of light waves, in some peoples' eyes the B & W interpretation is stronger, in others it is colour. Totally agree on the cars as well. I was at a motor meet last week, mostly big old yank tanks, but I'm always drawn to the small classic Euros, anyway there was a small 70s Fiat 126 resprayed in a custom bronze-orange that looked fantastic. Another Fiat, same model, same age had been resprayed in a very dark, almost brown-purple red and it looked bloody awful to my eyes.

Generally though I think cars look best in black, blue, green, brown and really bright custom colours and pastels and also in 2-tones or in 2-tone pastels blue/cream and green/cream.

All shades of red, white, silver and purple cars just look wrong to me. For me red cars look like all colour and no car and give me eye strain. White cars just look like sad anonymous blobs and soften all the lines and features far too much.
    I find all of this to be fascinating. In the 50's I think most cars were two toned. But today, you rarely see a new two tone. Do we now have to account for style and color in different time periods? A PM on the way.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post

Sci-Fi may have been the perfect vehicle for B&W. I just watched a nice print of the original, Not Of This Earth. Very nice. Even the old TV westerns look really really good. Wonder if the old NBC, CBS and ABC used different filming and sound techniques? I know I prefer the sound of the ABC 50's and 60's B&W programs the best.

I just watched Fritz Lang's "M" with Peter Lorre from 1931, followed by "The Third Man" with Orson Wells. Both have a storyline that involves cops or military police contrasted with characters from the criminal underworld who both look for Lorre's Child Murderer, and Well's Mr. Lime who sells watered down penicillin to hospitals. Amazing that the main characters in both films, Lorre and Wells, are really not seen or heard from until the end of the movies.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Has anyone mentioned The Children's Hour and The Bad Seed? Two creepy kid movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Has anyone mentioned The Children's Hour and The Bad Seed? Two creepy kid movies.
    The Children's Hour was good, but The Bad Seed is a classic!

Someone mentioned some, including kind of a blanket-mention of some Fellini, though my #1 Fellini is Juliet of the Spirits, which is not only in colour but glorious colour!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    The prequel "Village of the Damned'" was pretty damn good too!

"Some Like It Hot"
    "A Night At The Opera"
    "Treasure of the Sierra Madre"

An odd collection, sure.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    The prequel "Village of the Damned'" was pretty damn good too!
    "Village of the Damned" was in my opinion the better movie,

Quote Originally Posted by nsmith1002 View Post
    Seven Samurai (七人の侍 - Shichinin no Samurai)
    I consider "Rashomon" to be even better than "Shichinin no Samurai".

A few that were not mentioned yet:

"M" by Fritz Lang (much better than "Metropolis" and extremely innovative and influential)
    "Rashomon" by Akira Kurosawa (in my opinion better than "Seven Samurai", though the latter is great as well)
    "Repulsion" and "Knife in the Water" by Roman Polanski
    "Night of the Hunter" by Charles Laughton
    "Les Jeux Sont Faits" by Jean Delannoy

Not a great movie but a heck of a lot of fun - It, starring Clara Bow. It's a B&W silent. Clara is so gorgeous and vivacious. There's a scene with Clara and a date at an amusement park on rides that I've never seen before.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Fay Wray in the original King Kong was surprisingly dishy.... She had a nice little jiggle

Quote Originally Posted by BaldFriede View Post
    "Village of the Damned" was in my opinion the better movie,
    No argument there. I posted the wrong link. on me...

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Fay Wray in the original King Kong was surprisingly dishy.... She had a nice little jiggle
    Kong thought so to. Hard to get along with but give him credit for that.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    And one of the epic screams in all of movie history.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by BaldFriede View Post
    A few that were not mentioned yet:

"M" by Fritz Lang (much better than "Metropolis" and extremely innovative and influential)
    "Rashomon" by Akira Kurosawa (in my opinion better than "Seven Samurai", though the latter is great as well)
    "Repulsion" and "Knife in the Water" by Roman Polanski
    "Night of the Hunter" by Charles Laughton
    "Les Jeux Sont Faits" by Jean Delannoy
    Excellent List BF, but I did mention M a few posts back. As an ex-pat American, I think that the German language just doesn't translate well to many westerners despite Peter Lorre's superb tortured performance. It's one of my favorite films in either B&W or color.

Sorry, I overlooked your mentioning of "M".

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Surely there must be quite a few that are worthy.
    I was going to mention Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast but kept thinking it must have been mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I was going to mention Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast but kept thinking it must have been mentioned.
    Goddard, Truffault, Fellini (and the rest of the Italians), Fassbinder, Louis Malle (ascensceur pour l'échaffaud, for ex), Jacques Tati, Luis Bunuel, Ingmar Bergman, Gilles Grangier and quite a few others

edit: not sure whether Fassbinder did many B&W movies, though.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.