Page 44 of 159 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494144 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 3968

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Just doing my part.
    Alright alright, I'll give you one more and that's it. Twilight Zone, Talky Tina, the woman that played the wife opposite Telly Savalas. She's going to split those pants any minute now. They even slept in separate beds. What the heck was wrong with the censors back then? I think even Rob and Laura had separate beds. Just a thought.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    At this point I'd even talk about the bulbous cheeks of Shelly Winters instead of getting into the melee in the main movie thread.
    If only she had been a tad bit taller......

DON'T KILL THIS THREAD LIKE YOU DID ON THE LAST ONE!

You know who you are.

I do wish people should stop being so thin-skinned and complaining all the time. I understand the reason, but they do come off as quick-triggered babies sometimes, clinging to some sacred purpose of this site. If they just let it go, things will come back around on-topic, usually. I'd rather see the offenders gone than the threads.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Alright alright, I'll give you one more and that's it. Twilight Zone, Talky Tina, the woman that played the wife opposite Telly Savalas. She's going to split those pants any minute now. They even slept in separate beds. What the heck was wrong with the censors back then? I think even Rob and Laura had separate beds. Just a thought.
    My youngest LOVES that episode. We just saw it the other day, "Living Doll."

I thought, at first, that the mother was Shirley Jones, but she isn't.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'd like to thank the assholes that ruined our other movie thread.

Back on topic of legendary bottoms, Laura Petrie in capri pants on Dick Van Dyke: Carl Reiner has talked about how that ass was an obsession with the censors.

Back to BW movies, I've never seen Key Largo but I don't know if I can watch it tonight. I'd DVR but I'm trying to empty the thing. Our rural cable/Internet/phone provider is switching us to fiber optic lines and with it we're getting new DVRs. Already got Bengal Lancer sitting there.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Back to BW movies, I've never seen Key Largo but I don't know if I can watch it tonight. I'd DVR but I'm trying to empty the thing. Our rural cable/Internet/phone provider is switching us to fiber optic lines and with it we're getting new DVRs. Already got Bengal Lancer sitting there.
    It's pretty cool. Killer dialog, as usual with Bogey and Bacall.

And a killer supporting cast.

Already got Bengal Lancer sitting there.
    Fuck that. You'll enjoy Key Largo more.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

The mother in the "Living Doll" episode of Twilight Zone:

Attachment 11853

BTW, her real name was Mary LaRoche.

Laura Petrie:

d19c3eff33ae7d91c9c69ca5df51770d.jpg

As for the separate bed thing, I always thought that was stupid. They even did that in movies! You ever notice how a couple often slept in separate rooms in old movies? I think that was a way to get around the two twin beds bullshit that you saw in TV shows.

I don't know what the first TV show was that had one bed but I wouldn't be surprised if it was The Brady Bunch.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    It's pretty cool. Killer dialog, as usual with Bogey and Bacall.

And a killer supporting cast.

Johnny Rocco on how to get elected.

Attachment 11853

Laura Petrie:

As for the separate bed thing, I always thought that was stupid. They even did that in movies! You ever notice how a couple often slept in separate rooms in old movies? I think that was a way to get around the two twin beds bullshit that you saw in TV shows.

I don't know what the first TV show was that had one bed but I wouldn't be surprised if it was The Brady Bunch.
    I'll have the LaRoche model please.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    DON'T KILL THIS THREAD LIKE YOU DID ON THE LAST ONE!

You know who you are.

I do wish people should stop being so thin-skinned and complaining all the time. I understand the reason, but they do come off as quick-triggered babies sometimes, clinging to some sacred purpose of this site. If they just let it go, things will come back around on-topic, usually. I'd rather see the offenders gone than the threads.
    Smoke and ashes over there but no, do not shut this one down. It's just to good and civil is how we do things here.

Attachment 11853

Laura Petrie:

I think you may be right about the Brady Bunch. I can't think of any other single bed show.

I don't think we have the same problem on this thread. Two of the main offenders rarely venture into here.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I don't think we have the same problem on this thread. Two of the main offenders rarely venture into here.
    Yeah, it's just to bad. For me, it's all about information. I can do without the rest.

yet.

I think you may be right about the Brady Bunch. I can't think of any other single bed show.
    I looked it up. Apparently, there was some show from the late '40s called Mary Kay and Johnny that showed a single bed. However, that was in the very early days of TV; there aren't even any surviving kinescopes (or tapes) of the show. Soon, the Hays Code stipulated that they had to have two beds. And if the couple were in the bedroom and one person was in bed, one of the actors had to have at least one foot on the floor (I remembered this after reading about it). Altho, I don't know when that rule ended as there's a picture of Lucy & Desi in I Love Lucy that shows both in bed, albeit separate beds.

In the mid '60s, there were at least two shows that had only one bed: Bewitched and The Munsters. I'm not sure if Sam & Darrin were ever shown in bed together, but I know Herman and Lily were. However, there was one episode of I Love Lucy that showed Fred & Ethel in bed together but they were also sharing a hotel room with Lucy & Desi.

Bewitched & The Munsters both premiered in '64. The Brady Bunch premiered in '69 so contrary to Florence Henderson's claims, the Bradys were not the first to share a bed.

According to one website, these are the weirdest rules in the Hays Code:

One Foot On The Floor During Bedroom Scenes
    No White Slavery
    No Silhouettes Of Nudity
    No Glamorous Safe-Cracking
    No Interracial Relationships
    Indecent Dances Are Forbidden
    No Lustful Kissing
    No Funny Religious Figures
    No First Night Scenes (i.e. first night of honeymoon)
    No Branding Animals
    No Selling Women
    Respectful Use Of The Flag
    No Venereal Diseases

I looked it up. Apparently, there was some show from the late '40s called Mary Kay and Johnny that showed a single bed. However, that was in the very early days of TV; there aren't even any surviving kinescopes (or tapes) of the show. Soon, the Hays Code stipulated that they had to have two beds. And if the couple were in the bedroom and one person was in bed, one of the actors had to have at least one foot on the floor (I remembered this after reading about it). Altho, I don't know when that rule ended as there's a picture of Lucy & Desi in I Love Lucy that shows both in bed, albeit separate beds.

In the mid '60s, there were at least two shows that had only one bed: Bewitched and The Munsters. I'm not sure if Sam & Darrin were ever shown in bed together, but I know Herman and Lily were. However, there was one episode of I Love Lucy that showed Fred & Ethel in bed together but they were also sharing a hotel room with Lucy & Desi.

Bewitched & The Munsters both premiered in '64. The Brady Bunch premiered in '69 so contrary to Florence Henderson's claims, the Bradys were not the first to share a bed.

According to one website, these are the weirdest rules in the Hays Code:

One Foot On The Floor During Bedroom Scenes
    No White Slavery
    No Silhouettes Of Nudity
    No Glamorous Safe-Cracking
    No Interracial Relationships
    No Lustful Kissing
    No Funny Religious Figures
    No First Night Scenes (i.e. first night of honeymoon)
    No Branding Animals
    No Selling Women
    Respectful Use Of The Flag
    No Venereal Diseases
    I knew about the one foot rule but the others, wow. I assume this was for TV only.

Good thing The Purge wasn't in B&W!

Recently re-watched Dead Man. I can be somewhat critical of post-sixties B&W films, as it's a creative choice and doesn't always work. But I think it really added to the atmosphere of Dead Man, and there were several scenes where the cinematography really took advantage of the format.

I knew about the one foot rule but the others, wow. I assume this was for TV only.
    Oh no. This was primarily for movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Recently re-watched Dead Man. I can be somewhat critical of post-sixties B&W films, as it's a creative choice and doesn't always work. But I think it really added to the atmosphere of Dead Man, and there were several scenes where the cinematography really took advantage of the format.
    I recently saw it for the first time a few weeks ago. Had been meaning to see it for 20 years or so. I really liked it. Even the anachronistic score by Neil Young was effective... for the most part.

Hal, wait a minute.. In Red River, the Duke and Monty Clift were branding cattle left and right. Monty even said, "your going to brand every rump in Texas except mine". When we went to Africa to see Tarzan and the hunters would bring their women, I know there had to be some buying and selling. Even in Kong, the guy wanted, the Golden Woman, and was ready to put up a couple of his own for her. What the hey? I'm sorry, I'm having so much fun with that list.

I consider the busty cutie dancing to Yes to be patriotic.

I knew this had the potential of going off the rails somehow.

The mountains come out of the sky and they jiggle.

Hal, wait a minute. In Red River, the Duke and Monty Clift were branding cattle left and right. Monty even said, "your going to brand every rump in Texas except mine". When we went to Africa to see Tarzan and the hunters would bring their women, I know there had to be some buying and selling. Even in Kong, the guy wanted, the Golden Woman, and was ready to put up a couple of his own for her. What the hey? I'm sorry, I'm having so much fun with that list.
    All I can say is that there was often a way for producers/directors to sidestep the rules. And sometimes producers or someone from the studio would talk the censor into allowing them to do something they might not ordinarily get away with. For instance, Clark Gable saying "damn" in Gone with the Wind. But censors had the last word. Joel Cairo, Peter Lorre's character in The Maltese Falcon, was gay. The censors insisted he dress and act less flamboyantly. Still, directors used subtle or covert ways to get their point across, like Joel Cairo's business card smelling like gardenia or when he put the handle of his cane up to his mouth.

As for Monty Clift's comment, he was probably referring to something else. (Clift was gay, fyi)

Now, whether Clift's comment was covert, or not, I have no idea. But I highly recommend a documentary that talks about the covert ways homosexuality was depicted in Hollywood called The Celluloid Closet. Regardless of whether you're interested in the subject, it's very interesting and informative from a historical point of view.