Page 43 of 159 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393143 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 3968

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Yes I saw the pilot. Columbo was definitely more serious and intense in that. For the black and white movie buffs here an interesting fact is that other candidates for the role for the pilot were Bing Crosby and Lee J. Cobb. I can also watch most of those 70s episodes over and over. They appear daily and weekly on different cable channels but unfortunately parts are cut out randomly. I have all the episodes on DVD though which I can watch uncut anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    Yes I saw the pilot. Columbo was definitely more serious and intense in that. For the black and white movie buffs here an interesting fact is that other candidates for the role for the pilot were Bing Crosby and Lee J. Cobb. I can also watch most of those 70s episodes over and over. They appear daily and weekly on different cable channels but unfortunately parts are cut out randomly. I have all the episodes on DVD though which I can watch uncut anytime.
    I agree totally. All my favorite shows are on DVD including Columbo. Bing and Lee? I'm not sure here.
    The older I get, the better I was.

I'm not much for Bing Crosby. We always watch White Christmas once a year but that's about all of the Bing I can stand.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I'm not much for Bing Crosby. We always watch White Christmas once a year but that's about all of the Bing I can stand.
    I don't even like his search engine.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I don't even like his search engine.

Speaking of Bing...

I remember in the late '70s how I noticed that most people who smoked weed had a similar way of talking. That year, we were watching some Xmas special with Bing and I thought, "he sounds like he smokes weed." Naturally, since he was older than my father, he couldn't possibly smoke weed, could he?

During the Ken Burns documentary, Jazz, they were talking about an early band Bing was in; Louis Armstrong was in it, too. A story was told how after a gig, Bing & Louis would often stay up half the night drinking and/or smoking weed.

Nailed it!
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

Speaking of Bing...

I remember in the late '70s how I noticed that most people who smoked weed had a similar way of talking. That year, we were watching some Xmas special with Bing and I thought, "he sounds like he smokes weed." Naturally, since he was older than my father, he couldn't possibly smoke weed, could he?

During the Ken Burns documentary, Jazz, they were talking about an early band Bing was in; Louis Armstrong was in it, too. A story was told how after a gig, Bing & Louis would often stay up half the night drinking and/or smoking weed.

Nailed it!
    Sure, those guys toked all the time. The big bands and pioneering jazz players who preceded them. A REALLY great book, titled, "Really the Blues," by Mezz Mezzrow is worth a read.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The Great Dictator
    The Day the Earth Stood Still
    The Grapes of Wrath
    Shane
    Paths of Glory

Too many more to list.

Quote Originally Posted by Progology View Post
    The Great Dictator
    The Day the Earth Stood Still
    The Grapes of Wrath
    Shane
    Paths of Glory

Too many more to list.
    Is this a list of black and white movie favs? Shane was in Technicolor.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 07-10-2018 at 12:01 AM.

"Key Largo" is on tonight on TCM at 8:00 EST.

Sure, those guys toked all the time.
    Yeah, I knew that. Buddy Rich smoked weed every day of his life until he died. But Bing was that old guy who recorded Christmas albums, had specials on TV, wore cardigans, and who hawked orange juice. He was all American!

BTW, Ron, this is OT but, speaking of jazz, did you happen to see We Knew What We Had: The Greatest Jazz Story Never Told? It was about the jazz scene in Pittsburgh. I happened to catch it last week on my local PBS station. I never knew so many jazz legends came out of Pittsburgh: Earl Hines, Mary Lou Williams, Roy Eldridge, Billy Strayhorn, Kenny Clarke, Billy Eckstine, Erroll Garner, Art Blakey, Ahmad Jamal, and George Benson.

Good show! Doesn't seem to be available on DVD, tho.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

"Key Largo" is on tonight on TCM at 8:00 EST.
    The interplay between Bogey and Eddie here is like a pressure cooker ready to let go. And good old Lionel wasn't helping things much. It's a stopper.

Yeah, I knew that. Buddy Rich smoked weed every day of his life until he died. But Bing was that old guy who recorded Christmas albums, had specials on TV, wore cardigans, and who hawked orange juice. He was all American!

BTW, Ron, this is OT but, speaking of jazz, did you happen to see We Knew What We Had: The Greatest Jazz Story Never Told? It was about the jazz scene in Pittsburgh. I happened to catch it last week on my local PBS station. I never knew so many jazz legends came out of Pittsburgh: Earl Hines, Mary Lou Williams, Roy Eldridge, Billy Strayhorn, Kenny Clarke, Billy Eckstine, Erroll Garner, Art Blakey, Ahmad Jamal, and George Benson.

Yeah, I knew the jazz guys were riding the dragon but never thought much about guys like Bing.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Is this a list of black and white movie favs? Shane was in Technicolor.
    It sure was. One small problem I had with this film is the same I had with, 3:10 To Yuma. The kids drove me nuts. Joey in Shane could have been cut out. Van Heflin starred in both films btw. Oh yeah, has anyone noticed what a beautiful bottom Jean Arthur had in Shane? Just a side note here.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    It sure was. One small problem I had with this film is the same I had with, 3:10 To Yuma. The kids drove me nuts. Joey in Shane could have been cut out. Van Heflin starred in both films btw. Oh yeah, has anyone noticed what a beautiful bottom Jean Arthur had in Shane? Just a side note here.
    That's why Ryker was goading Shane with the "pretty wife Starrett has" lines.
    I get the kid acting a bit over the top, but I think he's too essential to the plot to just eliminate, and it wouldn't be the same flick without him. His admiration of Shane provides the analogy to the attraction Jean Arthur feels for Shane and her attempts to fight it, as she tells the kid things like "don't get too attached to Shane" etc--he's used as the sounding board to her thoughts. Plus, who would yell the iconic "Shane, come back!" lines at the end?
    I still think Shane is the best western ever made, I never tire of it and on blu-ray that technicolor cinematography really pops out. Jack Palance dressed to the Ts in the black bad guy gear, walking slowly into the saloon, causing the dog who was lying down to get up and slink away, is as classic as it gets.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 07-10-2018 at 01:01 PM.

I'll have to look for that. But, yes, Pittsburgh (not my home town, BTW) has quite a music legacy. Also, there were many 50s pop stars and doo-wop groups from here.

I'm really only a fan of pre-war jazz (Armstrong, Beiderbeke, et al.).

Yeah, I guess Bing toking is not something I would have predicted. But, times were different and so were the laws. A former co-worker of my wife had a grandfather who was in Glenn Miller's orchestra (maybe it was Dorsey's band) and told her that they smoked it all the time.

Oh yeah, has anyone noticed what a beautiful bottom Jean Arthur had in Shane?
    Might need to get a video clip or a still of that. Are we talking "Linda Evans in the Big Valley" quality here?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I get the kid acting a bit over the top, but I think he's too essential to the plot to just eliminate, and it wouldn't be the same flick without him. His admiration of Shane provides the analogy to the attraction Jean Arthur feels for Shane and her attempts to fight it, as she tells the kid things like "don't get too attached to Shane" etc--he's used as the sounding board to her thoughts. Plus, who would yell the iconic "Shane, come back!" lines at the end?
    I still think Shane is the best western ever made, I never tire of it and on blu-ray that technicolor cinematography really pops out. Jack Palance dressed to the Ts in the black bad guy gear, walking slowly into the saloon, causing the dog who was lying down to get up and slink away, is as classic as it gets.
    QFT. I love when that dog slinks away. lol

But, yeah, Brandon de Wilde is essential to that movie, as much as anyone in it.

BTW, anyone notice "Grandma Walton" in it?

Might need to get a video clip or a still of that. Are we talking "Linda Evans in the Big Valley" quality here?
    Didn't Barbara Stanwyck have a big valley?

All excellent points and hard to argue. How about eliminate the child and show more stress between husband and wife because of Shane? Starrett needs him and won't run him off to quickly. The boy seems to exhibit a kind of constant whining that sort of let's the air out of things. Maybe less of him would have been better. But your right, Jack was perfect.

Both wearing those tight pants, absotivly.

Didn't Barbara Stanwyck have a big valley?
    Yes, but it was only for girls.

Geez Hal, why do you keep getting us into this kind of thing?

Yes, but it was only for girls.
    I remember that conversation we had, man!

A REALLY great book, titled, "Really the Blues," by Mezz Mezzrow is worth a read.
    You said it! Great book indeed. Even the nerdy, quite-types who played jazz in those days were into weed and stronger stuff if I read it correctly.

An excellent quotation from that book, "If you can't make money, make friends." Brilliant from any angle.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

At this point I'd even talk about the bulbous cheeks of Shelly Winters instead of getting into the melee in the main movie thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Geez Hal, why do you keep getting us into this kind of thing?
    Just doing my part.