Page 39 of 160 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989139 ... LastLast

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ I’ll rewatch Fight Club!

Watched WC Fields’ The Bank Dick today. Now THAT’S entertainment!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Watched WC Fields’ The Bank Dick today. Now THAT’S entertainment!
    What a great movie. I love WC Fields. Some consider him the funniest person who ever lived.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Amazing that he was allowed to make movies the way he wanted then, with all the drinking and hitting kids and whatnot. But it's all so well done it's hilarious.

Somewhat relevant to this thread

http://www.gocomics.com/the-norm-4-0/2018/04/30
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Red alert! Some Like It Hot starting on TCM right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Somewhat relevant to this thread

http://www.gocomics.com/the-norm-4-0/2018/04/30
    My niece's husband kids me about not liking movies made in color and my brother avoids B&W movies. I don't know what the aversion is other than the fact that they're in B&W.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I can't imagine never being able to watch something like this because it's not in color.

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    My niece's husband kids me about not liking movies made in color and my brother avoids B&W movies. I don't know what the aversion is other than the fact that they're in B&W.
    Wow, how do you just cut yourself off like this? I just wouldn't know what to say to folks like that.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Red alert! Some Like It Hot starting on TCM right now!
    It's strange. I've said how Casablanca didn't do a great deal for me. Well, here is another. One of the great comedies of all time and the cast is incredible. But, it just leaves me flat. Three Faces Of Eve was on as well and I was more excited about that. Going to sit down and watch both films again and see if I can somehow, get it.

I never had a problem with black and white. I think because we still had some black & white TV shows growing up plus classics like old Popeye and Stooges were in B&W. I really didn't think about how great it looked on the big screen until I saw Young Frankenstein. That really opened my eyes (Damn your eyes! Too late!).
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Going to sit down and watch both films again and see if I can somehow, get it.
    Maybe we should colorize them.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Maybe we should colorize them.
    Infidel, sacrilege, blasphemy.

Infidel, sacrilege, blasphemy.
    Pretty much what I was thinking when I saw Ron Howard's movie about The Beatles' touring years.

I guess I'm in the Church of Satan as well. I may have smiled or chuckled a few times watching Some Like it Hot but that's about it.

Re: Some Like It Hot, the attractraction to me is partly like that of a Capra movie or Sergeant York. I love how the movie has sections that are so different, picaresque. But they all come together. Plus the music, the car chases, the violence, the lust, the humor - they all coalesce.

Re: Some Like It Hot, the attractraction to me is partly like that of a Capra movie or Sergeant York. I love how the movie has sections that are so different, picaresque. But they all come together. Plus the music, the car chases, the violence, the lust, the humor - they all coalesce.
    And Jack Lemmon is great in it. I can see how the Tony Curtis character might rub people the wrong way, though.

And Jack Lemmon is great in it. I can see how the Tony Curtis character might rub people the wrong way, though.
    Jack was better suited for, The Out Of Towners. He and SLIH is sort of a mismatch for me. Tony Curtis does rub people the wrong way which is why I think his best films were, Sweet Smell Of Success and The Defiant Ones. They speak for themselves.

I did like the music and the car chase for that time was pretty good. The film is kind of a interesting chameleon but I just can't get it to strike a nerve.

Pretty much what I was thinking when I saw Ron Howard's movie about The Beatles' touring years.
    I know people were interested but I haven't seen it. I suppose everyone thought Howard could do something special with it. Was it that bad?

I know people were interested but I haven't seen it. I suppose everyone thought Howard could do something special with it. Was it that bad?
    If you're a casual fan, you'll like it. If you're like me, it's ho-hum and offers nothing new. But, I am not the target audience and was appalled by the colorizing. There may have been some music edits, too, but I cannot recall. That and the subsequent release of the Hollywood Bowl CD was a hugely missed opportunity, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I really didn't think about how great it looked on the big screen until I saw Young Frankenstein. That really opened my eyes.
    Perhaps, my favorite "modern" B&W movie is Manhattan. Jesus, talk about a gorgeous movie. Eraserhead and Pi are a couple more that look beautiful in B&W.

Ingmar Bergman's B&W movies are gorgeous too.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Perhaps, my favorite "modern" B&W movie is Manhattan. Jesus, talk about a gorgeous movie. Eraserhead and Pi are a couple more that look beautiful in B&W.

Ingmar Bergman's B&W movies are gorgeous too.
    I may have seen "Manhattan" years ago, but I'm not sure. I agree about Eraserhead, even though that's not one that immediately comes to mind.

One movie that continues to blow me away is "Dracula." The set design is incredible. Those closeups of Lugosi.

"Metropolis" is another one.

Anyone here ever see "The Wind" from 1928?

Chalk me up as another who just doesn't think Some Like it Hot is that funny, and to me it's overrated (because MM is in it).

As for more modern B&W in the color era, there is Psycho and Raging Bull of course, but also the stark realism of In Cold Blood is very chilling and effective in BW. Also Anatomy of a Murder (Jimmy Stewart and a tantalizing young Lee Remick).
    The Last Picture Show (w a tantalizing young Cybill Sheperd) and Hud w Paul Newman are both great BW "modern westerns" which are about the end of the small town old west as we once knew it, and the cinematography in both effectively depict that starkness of the dying old dusty west.

Oh, and how could I forget Schindlers List, probably the most effective use of B&W in the modern film era. And Dr. Strangelove for crying out loud.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 05-10-2018 at 11:35 PM.

I did like the music and the car chase for that time was pretty good. The film is kind of a interesting chameleon but I just can't get it to strike a nerve.
    Maybe you need to make out with Marilyn Monroe on a yacht until your glasses fog up.

I think the movie is perfect, and Tony Curtis taking on the Cary Grant persona when pretending to be a millionaire is hilarious. I really think the casting is perfect, and as I’ve mentioned before, the sexual escapades made a huge impression on me, in a good way. And the violence was visceral, but crucial to the plot. It’s really as perfect as The Wizard of Oz.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 05-11-2018 at 12:42 AM.