Page 33 of 160 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383133 ... LastLast

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Lucky Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL,1951. My all time favorite movie.
    "Those people up in Washington had better do something."

"People my foot, they're democrats!"
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I'm guessing four reasons:
    • Liz was high maintenance
    • Newman was probably jealous that Liz's eyes were more beautiful than his
    • Liz was stealing Eddie Fisher away from Debbie Reynolds at the time
    • Newman was already married to Joanne Woodward

Well, she is one of the all time classic Hollywood beauties. Gorgeous woman, for certain, but I wouldn't pinpoint a certain time. I mean, imo, she was just as beautiful at 40 as she was at 20.
    As far as gossip is concerned, I have heard stories about the four of them. Still can't believe I missed Davis and Crawford. Anyway, I understand what your saying but I do think at times people are better between point A and point B. Pending of course what the subject is. I think I've seen most of the well known Taylor films, I may have missed a few, but as I go through them, COAHTR is the one where her beauty is most apparent imo.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    At forty there was just so much more of her to love.
    My point. Cleopatra and Virginia Woolf shows her as a really "big" star. Of course her roommate and certain bottled goods may have been a contributing factor at this time in her career.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL,1951. My all time favorite movie.
    One of the great sci-fi movies of all time. I was surprised to learn that Frances Bavier didn't like Andy and Barney all that much. She was a NY stage actress and thought the show wasn't serious enough. I suppose TDTESS was her speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankh View Post
    "Those people up in Washington had better do something."

"People my foot, they're democrats!"
    Your talking about those other people, "And you know where I mean".

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    I watched A Big Hand For the Little Lady the other night and Fredric played the bartender.
    I haven't seen that in probably 30 years, even though i see it listed fairly often.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The other factor is how WPIX, WOR, and WNEW (in the NYC area) used to show nothing but old B&W movies on Saturday and Sunday mornings in the 70s. Mostly Universal horror, Japanese monster movies, and Abbot & Costello. Plus things like Chiller Theater. I used to scan the NY Times TV listing (all of which was printed on one broadsheet you could fold into a handy guide for the week) and look at the movie listings for the week, which were easy to spot, and it was always interesting that they indicated if a movie was B&W or color.
    Those were the days.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I watched "Mutiny on the Bounty" (1935) a few days ago. Man, that's another I tend to watch every time. Charles Laughton is just epic in that role. One of the great movie performances of all time.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I watched "Mutiny on the Bounty" (1935) a few days ago. Man, that's another I tend to watch every time. Charles Laughton is just epic in that role. One of the great movie performances of all time.
    Glad your back my friend. I tried to keep the rabill here in line but it's like herding chickens. I caught Hal over at that other thread. He was reeking. Drunk with, Hitchcock in color, on his breath.

I haven't seen that in probably 30 years, even though i see it listed fairly often.

Those were the days.
    I've always liked Jason Robards especially when he's telling stories. Did a lot of westerns but I really liked him in, Something Wicked This Way Comes. A Big Hand was always a fun movie.

A Big Hand was always a fun movie.
    Yeah, I really enjoy that one. Not sure why I don't go out of my way to see it more often. I will next time it's on.

Yeah, I really enjoy that one. Not sure why I don't go out of my way to see it more often. I will next time it's on.
    Did you get a chance to see, Bad Day At Black Rock, over the weekend? Turned my mom on to it and she's loved it ever since.

Did you get a chance to see, Bad Day At Black Rock, over the weekend? Turned my mom on to it and she's loved it ever since.
    Nope, I missed that. Didn't even know it was on. I don't think I've ever seen it.

Nope, I missed that. Didn't even know it was on. I don't think I've ever seen it.
    Star packed. Lee Marvin, Spencer Tracy, Walter Brennen, Ernest Borgnine, Robert Ryan, Dean Jagger and a very lovely Ann Frances. Tracy is looking for the father of the man who saved his life. I highly recommend it. Going to keep after you until you see it.

The awards are handed out this weekend. I'll bet the shows in the 40's and 50's were breath taking.

I caught Hal over at that other thread. He was reeking. Drunk with, Hitchcock in color, on his breath.
    What's wrong with Hitchcock in color???

I've always liked Jason Robards especially when he's telling stories. Did a lot of westerns but I really liked him in, Something Wicked This Way Comes.
    I think Something Wicked This Way Comes is underrated. Jonathan Pryce was excellent (as always) in it, too.

My favorite Robards role is either as Ben Bradlee (All the President's Men) or Howard Hughes (Melvin and Howard). But, I confess I still haven't seen Long Day's Journey Into Night.

Good movie. However, I feel it necessary to point out that it's in color.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Not if you watch it on a B/W set

Anyone planning on watching the Oscars?

Every year I care less and less about them... and award shows in general. First, because they seem to have become more about glorifying celebrity than anything else. Second, because I find actors thanking their agents, managers, assistants, etc. absolutely tedious.

I'll watch this year's just to see what everyone has to say in regard to the "me too" movement but this may be my last.

Also, anyone watch CBS Sunday Morning this morning? They had a segment on the Newman family of film composers:

There was also a segment on the development of the Steadicam:

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I haven't watched the Oscars in years. I never see new movies and know nothing about them. The last movie I saw in the theater was "Lincoln."

"Shanghai Express" (1932) with Marlene Dietrich is on at 9:30. I might watch that. Either way, I'll be watching "The Honeymooners" at 11:00.

We always watch but award shows are like sports for my wife and the Oscars are the Super Bowl for her. She'll be locked in when the red carpet starts, vodka/seven in hand, ready to yell "what the fuck is she wearing!"
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Charles Laughton
    I saw Ruggles of Red Gap this morning on TCM. Laughton is magnificent as the uptight British man servant who is lost in a poker game to a western hick and his nouveau-riche, overbearing wife. I wonder if Andy Kaufman got his foreign-man look from Laughton in this movie. Laughton often stands still with his arms by his side, his eyes wide and moving side to side without moving his head.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    We see very few new movies in theaters too. Is The Blade Runner sequel up for anything? Aside from that and a couple of kids films for my kid, that’s all I’ve seen. I rarely watch awards shows anymore either. Boring!

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I saw Ruggles of Red Gap this morning on TCM. Laughton is magnificent as the uptight British man servant who is lost in a poker game to a western hick and his nouveau-riche, overbearing wife. I wonder if Andy Kaufman got his foreign-man look from Laughton in this movie. Laughton often stands still with his arms by his side, his eyes wide and moving side to side without moving his head.
    I've never seen that one. Laughton is pretty tough to beat.

Any Barrymore fans here?

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    What's wrong with Hitchcock in color???

I think Something Wicked This Way Comes is underrated. Jonathan Pryce was excellent (as always) in it, too.

My favorite Robards role is either as Ben Bradlee (All the President's Men) or Howard Hughes (Melvin and Howard). But, I confess I still haven't seen Long Day's Journey Into Night.

Not a thing wrong with Hitch in color. Just an elbow to the ribs. Robards was good in ATPM. I need to pull this one up again as it's been a while. Hal, did they do anything else with Something Wicked? I mean, a spin-off, anything? Seems it could have been perfect if you wanted to expand it in some way. Not big like Harry Potter, just something.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    We see very few new movies in theaters too. Is The Blade Runner sequel up for anything? Aside from that and a couple of kids films for my kid, that’s all I’ve seen. I rarely watch awards shows anymore either. Boring!
    The Blade Runner sequel won awards for Best Visual Effects and Cinematography.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I've never seen that one. Laughton is pretty tough to beat.

Any Barrymore fans here?
    I suspect he's most noted for, A Christmas Carol and rightfully so. No one did it better. There is a family history.