Page 25 of 159 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575125 ... LastLast

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Yes, there are those few movies that, even though they're on TV often, I still have to watch them every time. A few off the top of my head and in no particular order:

Psycho
    Frankenstein
    Bride of Frankenstein
    The Adventures of Robin Hood
    I remember my dad telling me about a guy who supposedly watched The Adventures of Robin Hood every day. It's a great movie.

Have I mentioned previously that I've always loved The Elephant Man? It was on TMC the other night, and it has lost none of it's power and overwhelming and oftentimes shocking sadness. John Hurt's performance is superb, as is Freddie Jones as his drunken, sadistic keeper.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I remember my dad telling me about a guy who supposedly watched The Adventures of Robin Hood every day. It's a great movie.

is one of my all time favorites; unfortunately (or fortunately, if you too are bedazzled by Olivia DeHavilland's numerous wardrobe changes), it is in glorious Technicolor, not black and white.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post

is one of my all time favorites; unfortunately (or fortunately, if you too are bedazzled by Olivia DeHavilland's numerous wardrobe changes), it is in glorious Technicolor, not black and white.
    it IS my all-time favorite movie. What a cast! The score is magnificent. And the glorious Technicolor from 1938 is stellar!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

When Errol Flynn goes to King John's castle with the deer over his shoulders, in that whole sequence he's the most badass character I know. I also love the scene where they bring Marian to Robin's camp in the forest. And of course Robin's fight with Little John when he loses and says "I love a man who can best me!" So cool.

Lucky Man
    The swordfight with Basil Rathbone...

Best thing this side of Inigo Montoya...
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankh View Post

It's the shadow-play that makes that scene. There are also some of the best scene-stealers in the business in that film, Una O'Connor and Melville Cooper, for instance.

Lucky Man
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    It's the shadow-play that makes that scene. There are also some of the best scene-stealers in the business in that film, Una O'Connor and Melville Cooper, for instance.
    Absolutely @ shadowplay.

And you didn't even mention the greatest scene stealer of them all, the singular Claude Rains.

Good thread material, scene stealers...
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

When Errol Flynn goes to King John's castle with the deer over his shoulders, in that whole sequence he's the most badass character I know.
    Don't forget that great escape where he cuts the rope holding the castle gate open and then rides it to the top of the wall.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

One thing I don't like is the way they sped up that swordplay scene. Totally unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Groundhog Day ; Murrey in perction mode.
    Watched this for the first time with my sister. The line, “Does he have to use the word ‘poopy’?” made us laugh so hard, we had to pause the movie. On paper, that doesn’t look so funny, but the dry way Murray delivers it makes it breath-stoppingly hilarious.

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Frankh View Post

Rathbone was no slouch at swordplay. On par with the great Robin Hood scene is another with Flynn, the beach fight in Captain Blood. The waves washing over the vanquished Rathbone is the capper the setpiece of the movie , made even more of a standout as it is a location shot with a real ocean with a real beach. The rest of the movie is mostly done on soundstages , very nice sets but still when the real thing hits the screen , wow. Well staged location action scenes in that era were rare I think. Robin Hood is overall a better movie than Capt Blood IMO, it was a huge star making hit in its time and holds up very well. I had occasion to see parts of its silent predessesor recently, the similarities of the 2 are amazing. I think it was Douglas Fairbanks in the title role. I was equally surprised when seeing the 20's Ben Hur . The Heston '57 movie is a favorite of mine, interesting how much was lifted from the silent version. I am one of those who largly ignores silent, I cant get past the lack of a soundtrack. To someone who appreciates silent, this attitude is probably the same as my reaction to those that will not watch a movie in B&W because theres no color. Oh well.

...Captain Blood...
    Another great one.

I was equally surprised when seeing the 20's Ben Hur .
    That was just on a week or so ago. What an amazing movie. That chariot scene is every bit as good as the Heston version, if not better. And, those sets are freaking amazing!

I love silent movies. A totally flipped-out one is on tonight at Midnight: "Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages (1922)."

And, of course, more Hammer films beginning at 8:00.

I certainly will have to revisit Robin Hood now. Such a high standing here. As for sword fights, I always liked, Scaramouche. Isn't MC on TCM tomorrow night?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Tomorrow, TCM is showing horror movies all day. One in particular, "The Old Dark House" (1932) at 8:00, is a great haunted house movie. Many of the cliches that appeared in future haunted house movies began in this one.

Here's the lineup:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.ht...ate=2017-10-31

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Tomorrow, TCM is showing horror movies all day. One in particular, "The Old Dark House" (1932) at 8:00, is a great haunted house movie. Many of the cliches that appeared in future haunted house movies began in this one.

Here's the lineup:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.ht...ate=2017-10-31
    Yes, I saw a preview of it this weekend. 13 Ghosts was always a favorite of mine. Simple but fun.

Ah, the Haunting. One of our faves. Bring me the steaming hot Claire Bloom as Theodora!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

And, in case nobody noticed, "The House on Haunted Hill" at 11:30. That's another one I tend to watch every time it's on, though, it's not in the same league as the others on my list.

The three & a half hour epic Les Enfants du Paradis (Children of Paradise) filmed clandestinely in 1943-44 in and around Paris while it was still occupied by the Nazis and released in 1945 with, Jean-Louis Barrault (the mime who taught Marcel Marceau) in a speaking role as a mime who is one of 4 suitors of a beautiful courtesan played by famous 1940s French actress Arletty, is one of my 10 favorite films of all-time.

It's considered by many to be the French "Gone With The Wind". Anyone else familiar with it?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    The three & a half hour epic Les Enfants du Paradis (Children of Paradise) filmed clandestinely in 1943-44 in and around Paris while it was still occupied by the Nazis and released in 1945 with, Jean-Louis Barrault (the mime who taught Marcel Marceau) in a speaking role as a mime who is one of 4 suitors of a beautiful courtesan played by famous 1940s French actress Arletty, is one of my 10 favorite films of all-time.

It's considered by many to be the French "Gone With The Wind". Anyone else familiar with it?
    Ha, I have no class what so ever and your speaking of high brow French films. I can tell you, however, that I hate GWTW. Jezabel with B. Davis was much better.

This is the "spooky" stuff I cut my teeth on as a little kid. Still love it! Happy Halloween!

I watched "The Old Dark House" last night. I can see how it generated so many tropes. And oh mercy, Gloria Stuart (she played the "old" Rose in Titanic) in her silk underoos! You know beauty and body standards change over the decades but damn, Gloria was sporting a body that would fit right in the 21st century.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I watched "The Old Dark House" last night. I can see how it generated so many tropes. And oh mercy, Gloria Stuart (she played the "old" Rose in Titanic) in her silk underoos! You know beauty and body standards change over the decades but damn, Gloria was sporting a body that would fit right in the 21st century.
    I was saying the same thing about Janet Leigh in Psycho. Her daughter looked rather nice in Trading Places and True Lies.

This is the "spooky" stuff I cut my teeth on as a little kid. Still love it! Happy Halloween!

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Her daughter looked rather nice in Trading Places and True Lies.
    Hell, I think she still does.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe