Page 19 of 160 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969119 ... LastLast

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    One of, maybe, three or four movies that I watch every time it's on.
    What do you think of Torn Curtin?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    What do you think of Torn Curtin?
    I don't think I've ever seen it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I don't think I've ever seen it.
    Hitch sends Paul Newman behind the iron curtin as a defector to give the Germans false information on new weapons that are being developed. It doesn't get a great deal of air play but it's Newman. There was a scene where Newman does away with a German soldier by forcing his head into a gas oven. The thing was done in the pure Hitchcock style of course.

The Train, with Burt Lancaster.

You can say this for the Germans, they had the coolest military uniforms.

The Train, with Burt Lancaster.
    Top 15 for me. Love that movie.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Top 15 for me. Love that movie.
    Beats me why even TCM doesn't show it that often. This isn't a diamond in the rough type movie, this is a flat out great film. Well, I suppose others can name films that don't get their due either.

Two of my favorite films
    Marketa Lazarová (1967) is a Czechoslovak historical film directed by František Vláčil. It is an adaptation of the novel Marketa Lazarová (1931) by Vladislav Vančura. The film takes place in an indeterminate time during the Middle Ages, and tells the story of a daughter of a feudal lord who is kidnapped by neighbouring robber knights and becomes a mistress of one of them.

Guy Maddin : the saddest music in the world (2004)
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Looks like "Torn Curtain" is on TCM tonight at 10:30 EST.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I saw Torn Curtain years ago. Can't say I was terribly impressed with it. The same with Topaz. But I'd like to see both of those movies again because I love a good spy story.

It's always seemed to me that Hitch's films after The Birds just weren't up to the same level as his previous output, with Marnie being a bit of a dud, imo.

There is a shot from Frenzy, tho, that is pretty brilliant (it starts at around 54:17, which I can't seem to get PE's video function & YouTube to cooperate on):

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

No, TC isn't his best but we see Hitch trying to deal with a world issue instead of personal stories. Being British the storyline is perfect but using an American as bait illustrates his overall world view.

This Friday is Lon Chaney night on TCM:

8:00 PM - Phantom of the Opera, The (1925)
    9:45 PM - Laugh, Clown, Laugh (1928)
    11:15 PM - Tell It to the Marines (1926)
    1:15 AM - West of Zanzibar (1928)
    2:45 AM - Where East Is East (1929)
    4:15 AM - Unholy Three, The (1930)

Some don't know that Chaney was originally offered the role of Dracula for the 1931 classic. Man, that would have been something to see.

Some don't know that Chaney was originally offered the role of Dracula for the 1931 classic. Man, that would have been something to see.
    Wow, I had never heard that. Reading over a bunch of trivia about the film, just now, here are some more interesting bits:
    • Bette Davis (who had a contract at Universal at the time) was considered to play the part of Mina Harker. However, Universal head Carl Laemmle Jr. didn't think too highly of her sex appeal.
    • At no point does Dracula display fangs. Also, the famous vampire bite mark on the neck is never shown either (though it is visible in the Spanish version).
    • Universal's original plan was to make a big-budget adaptation of "Dracula" that would strictly adhere to the Bram Stoker novel. However, after the stock market crash of 1929 and the beginning of the Great Depression, Universal chose not to risk an investment on such a sprawling film. Instead, it adapted the much less expensive Hamilton Deane stage play.
    • Due to studio demands to cut costs, the film was shot in sequence.
    • After viewing the initial cut, Universal president Carl Laemmle Sr. reportedly said that the film gave him the "heebie-jeebies" and ordered that it be re-edited. Tod Browning was bitterly disappointed by the studio's 11th hour re-edit, and claimed that his best work ended up on the editing room floor. The re-cut apparently introduced a number of continuity errors into the film...
    • Richard Matheson claimed to have conceived of his famous science fiction story 'I Am Legend' after viewing this film.
    • Apparently morose over the loss of friend and collaborator Lon Chaney and in the midst of severe alcoholism, the normally meticulous Tod Browning was said to have been sullen and unprofessional during the shoot. Cinematographer Karl Freund directed many scenes.
    • John Carradine was among the actors considered for the title role. However, there is no corroborating evidence from that time period, only Carradine's own later testimony.
    • The studio did not want the scene where Dracula attacks Renfield to be filmed due to the perceived gay subtext of the situation. A memo was sent to the director stating "Dracula is only to attack women".
    • Throughout the movie, there's no scene where Dracula ever blinks. This was done to maintain Bela Lugosi's famous stare.
    • When this film was re-released after the Production Code was strictly enforced in 1934, several deletions were ordered made to the soundtrack. The deletions include Renfield's scream as he is being killed and Dracula's moan as the stake is driven through his heart. These deletions were restored.

Wow, I had never heard that. Reading over a bunch of trivia about the film, just now, here are some more interesting bits:
    • Bette Davis (who had a contract at Universal at the time) was considered to play the part of Mina Harker. However, Universal head Carl Laemmle Jr. didn't think too highly of her sex appeal.
    • At no point does Dracula display fangs. Also, the famous vampire bite mark on the neck is never shown either (though it is visible in the Spanish version).
    • Universal's original plan was to make a big-budget adaptation of "Dracula" that would strictly adhere to the Bram Stoker novel. However, after the stock market crash of 1929 and the beginning of the Great Depression, Universal chose not to risk an investment on such a sprawling film. Instead, it adapted the much less expensive Hamilton Deane stage play.
    • Due to studio demands to cut costs, the film was shot in sequence.
    • After viewing the initial cut, Universal president Carl Laemmle Sr. reportedly said that the film gave him the "heebie-jeebies" and ordered that it be re-edited. Tod Browning was bitterly disappointed by the studio's 11th hour re-edit, and claimed that his best work ended up on the editing room floor. The re-cut apparently introduced a number of continuity errors into the film...
    • Richard Matheson claimed to have conceived of his famous science fiction story 'I Am Legend' after viewing this film.
    • Apparently morose over the loss of friend and collaborator Lon Chaney and in the midst of severe alcoholism, the normally meticulous Tod Browning was said to have been sullen and unprofessional during the shoot. Cinematographer Karl Freund directed many scenes.
    • John Carradine was among the actors considered for the title role. However, there is no corroborating evidence from that time period, only Carradine's own later testimony.
    • The studio did not want the scene where Dracula attacks Renfield to be filmed due to the perceived gay subtext of the situation. A memo was sent to the director stating "Dracula is only to attack women".
    • Throughout the movie, there's no scene where Dracula ever blinks. This was done to maintain Bela Lugosi's famous stare.
    • When this film was re-released after the Production Code was strictly enforced in 1934, several deletions were ordered made to the soundtrack. The deletions include Renfield's scream as he is being killed and Dracula's moan as the stake is driven through his heart. These deletions were restored.
    Now I'm going to go around telling people how much I know about Dracula.

This Friday is Lon Chaney night on TCM:

8:00 PM - Phantom of the Opera, The (1925)
    9:45 PM - Laugh, Clown, Laugh (1928)
    11:15 PM - Tell It to the Marines (1926)
    1:15 AM - West of Zanzibar (1928)
    2:45 AM - Where East Is East (1929)
    4:15 AM - Unholy Three, The (1930)

Lon Jr. had just about every type role you could think of. From The Defiant Ones, to High Noon to The Indestructible Man.

Wow, I had never heard that. Reading over a bunch of trivia about the film, just now, here are some more interesting bits ...
    Another fact is that the Spanish version, which was filmed in the evenings during production of the English version (and used the same sets), is actually considered better by some. It's available on the remastered release.

Lon Jr. had just about every type role you could think of. From The Defiant Ones, to High Noon to The Indestructible Man.
    To a thug in an episode of "The Monkees."

Another fact is that the Spanish version, which was filmed in the evenings during production of the English version (and used the same sets), is actually considered better by some. It's available on the remastered release.

To a thug in an episode of "The Monkees."
    See, I told you.

We were talking westerns.

"The Searchers" is on TCM Saturday night at 10:30 EST.

Sure is. I've seen some beautiful prints of this movie. My copy looks really good not being BR. This is the type film that's made for the big screen. Ward Bond is a main stay.

Watched Lawman, with Burt Lancaster last night. I get the feeling that this movie was shot at just about the same time as, Chatos Land, with Charles Bronson. Another star packed film. As a matter of fact, Richard Jordan played in both films.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Hitch sends Paul Newman behind the iron curtin as a defector to give the Germans false information on new weapons that are being developed. It doesn't get a great deal of air play but it's Newman. There was a scene where Newman does away with a German soldier by forcing his head into a gas oven. The thing was done in the pure Hitchcock style of course.
    ^^^^^^^ SPOILERS!!! ^^^^^^^

"Diabolique" is on next Friday 8/25 on TCM at 10:15 EST. I'll probably post a reminder next week. This is one cool movie. French subtitled, for those who don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^^^^^^^ SPOILERS!!! ^^^^^^^
    From what I remember of Torn Curtain, Staun's precis isn't really spoiling anything. We're led to believe, for about 5 minutes, that Paul Newman is a defector to the USSR but, hey, it's Paul Newman for chrissakes! The soldier's death was intended by Hitchcock to show the reality, and difficulty, of actually killing someone in cold blood, but it almost comes across as farcical.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    From what I remember of Torn Curtain, Staun's precis isn't really spoiling anything. We're led to believe, for about 5 minutes, that Paul Newman is a defector to the USSR but, hey, it's Paul Newman for chrissakes! The soldier's death was intended by Hitchcock to show the reality, and difficulty, of actually killing someone in cold blood, but it almost comes across as farcical.
    That was a wild scene and that poor woman in the house. Your probably right, it may have been a bit too much explanation for those who haven't seen it. I'll watch my step in the future. I have quite a few books on the Civil War and being from this part of the country, it's only natural. Any suggestion on good B&W CW films? I just watched Gettysburg which is in color and think it's a good character development movie. Well, there are a lot of color films but not so many in B&W.

Ronmac, I forgot to ask but did you go ahead and watch the Quiet Man as well?