Page 17 of 159 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I saw an interview with Bob Anderson, the guy who coached most of the big Hollywood stars in the art of wielding a sword. He said Errol Flynn was in his top three that he coached, a total natural.
    Surprised they didn't send them all to Paris for training.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Are you saying you would like to see a revival of the 30/60 minute western? I think about the gunfight scene in Open Range and I would love to see that action every week. Agreed.
    I'm referring to movies. But, not the Quentin Tarantino approach. I don't see it happening, though.

I never watch TV series any more.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

More Hitch tonight on TCM (EST)

8:00 PM -Rear Window (1954)

10:15 PM - Trouble with Harry, The (1955)

12:15 AM - Man Who Knew Too Much, The (1956)

2:30 AM - Wrong Man, The (1956)
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    More Hitch tonight on TCM (EST)

8:00 PM -Rear Window (1954)

10:15 PM - Trouble with Harry, The (1955)

12:15 AM - Man Who Knew Too Much, The (1956)

2:30 AM - Wrong Man, The (1956)
    Have always liked the Wrong Man. One of those movies you think could really happen and what would you do. Has it's own brand of personal fear.

I'm referring to movies. But, not the Quentin Tarantino approach. I don't see it happening, though.

I never watch TV series any more.
    Understood. What type of western would appeal to you?

Speaking of westerns if you have the Outdoor Channel on cable, Will Penny air tonight, supposed to be good. I don't think I've seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Speaking of westerns if you have the Outdoor Channel on cable, Will Penny air tonight, supposed to be good. I don't think I've seen it.
    A Charlie Heston film. He's pushing cattle but he's asked to spend the winter in the highlands. He spends it with a woman and her son by chance. The bad men are coming. Do you ever see Earl Campbell down your way?

Earl Campbell, no, but they named a road or parkway after him. He comes thru here ever so often to do some speaking or charity-fundraising work.

You jogged my memory. I have seen Will Penny. Heston said that was one of his favorite roles.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Understood. What type of western would appeal to you?
    Anything that's believable and doesn't put form over function.

The reason the western died in the 50s was because space exploration captured the imagination of kids.

Any of you ever see The Cowboys? It's a John Wayne movie where he has to move a herd of cattle and the only cowboys he can rustle up are the boys in the local school. Co-stars Bruce Dern as a baddie and a young Robert Carradine as one of the cowboys.

I used to tease my dad that "good western" was an oxymoron but I always liked that movie.

Imo, the best B&W western is The Oxbow Incident. Henry Fonda and Harry Morgan star in it. Excellent movie.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    The reason the western died in the 50s was because space exploration captured the imagination of kids.

Any of you ever see The Cowboys? It's a John Wayne movie where he has to move a herd of cattle and the only cowboys he can rustle up are the boys in the local school. Co-stars Bruce Dern as a baddie and a young Robert Carradine as one of the cowboys.

I used to tease my dad that "good western" was an oxymoron but I always liked that movie.

Imo, the best B&W western is The Oxbow Incident. Henry Fonda and Harry Morgan star in it. Excellent movie.
    Major Tetley. Spot on. Tony Quinn turns in a nice cameo. Very nice B&W film.

Bruce Dern is one of the few people to kill John Wayne. He come from a family that's into politics.

That and the atomic age.

Any of you ever see The Cowboys? It's a John Wayne movie where he has to move a herd of cattle and the only cowboys he can rustle up are the boys in the local school. Co-stars Bruce Dern as a baddie and a young Robert Carradine as one of the cowboys. .
    Many times.

If sticking with BW westerns Stagecoach and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance are excellent. As are High Noon and Red River. I think a few of the Anothny Mann / Jimmy Stewart's are BW ,maybe Winchester 73.
    Throw My Darling Clementine and Destry Rides Again in to.
    Color ? Top of the heap, The Searchers and Shane.

Speaking of B&W westerns, my favorite scene from any of them comes from Tall in the Saddle with John Wayne. Note how Wayne isn't wearing a gun.

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

And, then there's "Blazing Saddles."

I do like the spaghetti westerns. "The Good, Bad and Ugly" is always fun. Almost anything with Clint from those days.

I do like the spaghetti westerns. "The Good, Bad and Ugly" is always fun. Almost anything with Clint from those days.
    Oh, man, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is a classic. Probably my second favorite, after Shane. I can still remember my brother telling us about it (he'd seen it at the drive-in with his girlfriend the night before) and how great it was that instead of the classic duel with 2 gunslingers, it was with 3 gunslingers!!! He just went on and on about it. I think it's the greatest duel in the history of westerns.

And, then there's "Blazing Saddles."
    Blazing Saddles is as much a western as Spaceballs is Scifi.

TCM is playing a slew of Jimmy Stewart westerns back to back starting Monday at 8:45 AM
    First 3 are the fantastic Anthony Mann / Stewart collaborations;
    Winchester 73
    Bend Of The River
    Far Country

Then Fords

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Finishing with

Shenandoah
    Firecreek

The Outlaw Josey Wales is probably my favorite Eastwood western.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Blazing Saddles is as much a western as Spaceballs is Scifi.
    Hmmm, takes place in the 1800s. Railroad coming through town. New sheriff. Rustlers try to take over. People team up to fight the bad guys.

Yep, I don't see it either.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It's not a western, it's a GREAT western.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    It's not a western, it's a GREAT western.
    And it wasn't the first, nor would it be the last, western to be a comedy that also took on social issues.

I am watching Inherit the Wind presently. If you want to see two remarkable actors playing each other's foil, then I can suggest no better movie than this one with Spencer Tracy and Frederic March.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/