Page 13 of 160 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Have we gotten into 50's sci-fi B&W movies? They were really important to me because they in fact, got me into movies. Guess I've seen a great deal of them but I must be missing a few. I remember seeing The Tingler, with Vincent Price. What blew me away was the bath tube scene. Movie was B&W but the blood in the tube was red. Fun stuff. Any favorites?
    Them!
    Invasion of The Body Snatchers
    Crawling Eye
    This Island Earth , color but correct years
    It Came From Beneath The Sea
    Reptilicus
    Last Man On Earth
    Earth VS The Flying Saucers
    Kronos
    Donovans Brain
    Way more, they're favorites of mine too.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Them!
    Invasion of The Body Snatchers
    Crawling Eye
    This Island Earth , color but correct years
    It Came From Beneath The Sea
    Reptilicus
    Last Man On Earth
    Earth VS The Flying Saucers
    Kronos
    Donovans Brain
    Way more, they're favorites of mine too.
    A few have survived. The Fly, Day the Earth Stood still, Body Snatchers and Them. Just watched Kronos and Not of This Earth. War of the satellites is still one of my favorites. Of course there is the fifty foot couple but Mr. fifty foot had a sequel which I thought was pretty good. House on Haunted Hill was on TCM yesterday. Oh, let's not forget Atomic Submarine.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Haunted Hill was on TCM yesterday.
    CLASSIC!! One of the great screaming chick movies. Hearing the one girl scream throughout the movie is one thing. But, once Vincent Price's wife starts wailing in that final scene ... Wow!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    CLASSIC!! One of the great screaming chick movies. Hearing the one girl scream throughout the movie is one thing. But, once Vincent Price's wife starts wailing in that final scene ... Wow!
    Yep, it works. Liked it since I was a little kid. Never mind when it was made, everything is there. The narrative, an interesting story. Odd thing was when Vincent Price and Alan Marshal were fighting in the basement, the lights go off. You never knew who got killed until a few scenes later. Fun movie.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Always loved Them! and The Crawling Eye.

Also:

Fiend Without a Face
    The Amazing Colossal Man
    The Incredible Shrinking Man
    Attack of the 50-Ft Woman
    The Killer Shrews

Movies on weekend TV used to be great!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Always loved Them! and The Crawling Eye.

Also:

Fiend Without a Face
    The Amazing Colossal Man
    The Incredible Shrinking Man
    Attack of the 50-Ft Woman
    The Killer Shrews

Movies on weekend TV used to be great!
    Absolutely great titles. The Colossal Man had a sequel which I thought was better than the first. Not a lot of sequels back then. How could I forget The Shrinking Man? Shrews was good But I missed Fiend which I'm going to look for. Happy that there are a few places that still make these types of movies available.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    The Seventh Seal
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

I've often wondered if there would be an audience for a classic sci-fi channel? You could run these type movies and related items. I watched Renaissance the other day. Some people find this hard to watch because of the B&W animation but I thought it was great. Fantastic Planet would work here. I'd kick in a few bucks a month for something like this.

Absolutely great titles. The Colossal Man had a sequel which I thought was better than the first. Not a lot of sequels back then. How could I forget The Shrinking Man? Shrews was good But I missed Fiend which I'm going to look for. Happy that there are a few places that still make these types of movies available.
    The Colossal Man actually kind of scared me as a kid because he was so bald and angry and eventually had to wear a colossal diaper.

The Colossal Man actually kind of scared me as a kid because he was so bald and angry and eventually had to wear a colossal diaper.
    Yeah, that guy makes me think of Telly Savalis. With all his problems, I'd be a bit salty to.

In The 50ft Woman, I always wondered what she was going to do with Harry? The marriage was in trouble but this was beyond the pale.

Yeah, that guy makes me think of Telly Savalis. With all his problems, I'd be a bit salty to.
    He probably had to use a swimming pool as a toilet. David Cronenberg should remake it focusing on the guy's biological needs.

The Giant Behemoth was one of the first reptile movies I ever saw. Do you know that, Not Of This Earth, has been remade three times?

He probably had to use a swimming pool as a toilet. David Cronenberg should remake it focusing on the guy's biological needs.
    Wow, that would be a slow flush.

The Giant Behemoth was one of the first reptile movies I ever saw. Do you know that, Not Of This Earth, has been remade three times?
    There was a BW scifi with a plot involving a spaceship returning to earth with a stowaway creature in the tail section making its way up front to kill the crew. From Venus maybe? I always thought Alien came from that idea. Very similar.

There was a BW scifi with a plot involving a spaceship returning to earth with a stowaway creature in the tail section making its way up front to kill the crew. From Venus maybe? I always thought Alien came from that idea. Very similar.
    That's the plot for the movie, It, The Terror From Outer Space. Except the creature was in the cargo hold.

Actually the major influence for Ridley Scott was Mario Bavas : Paura Nell Spazio, great film btw

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Apparently, TCM is celebrating Hitchcock this month. Tonight, they're showing some of his early silent movies. Features are on Wednesdays and Fridays.

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/articl...i-in-July.html
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Apparently, TCM is celebrating Hitchcock this month. Tonight, they're showing some of his early silent movies. Features are on Wednesdays and Fridays.

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/articl...i-in-July.html
    Not really a silent movie fan but there are a couple I like. The Sparrow is one of these. The music was great but I think they have tampered with it. I saw an old interview with him talking about these movies. Hard for me to imagine how to inject the Hitchcock idea into a silent movie but then again it's not. The well known shower scene and the like would certainly work as visuals. Romance always works, silent or not. Regardless, Hitchcock doing silent film is an interesting combination.

Regardless, Hitchcock doing silent film is an interesting combination.
    The only problem is that the dialogue in most of Hitch's movies is excellent, especially when Cary Grant is the lead. So, that would be missing... not to mention the lack of a Bernard Hermann score.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    The only problem is that the dialogue in most of Hitch's movies is excellent, especially when Cary Grant is the lead. So, that would be missing... not to mention the lack of a Bernard Hermann score.
    Hitchcock has a lot of good, longish sequences in his movies with no dialogue.

yep.

Vertigo comes to mind. When Judy decides to go along with him, that kiss went on and on. Hal mentioned the Hermann scores which are great. Hitch must have learned how important the music should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    This is another point I've wondered about. Was Cary the right guy for the NBNW lead? I don't think Jimmy was but Grant, considering his previous roles, seemed an odd choice.

This is another point I've wondered about. Was Cary the right guy for the NBNW lead? I don't think Jimmy was but Grant, considering his previous roles, seemed an odd choice.
    I don't think Stewart would have been right for the role. Not his image, at least.