Page 11 of 159 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I've never seen either. From TCM:

Hitchcock's first color film was shot in ten-minute takes to provide a seamless flow of movement, but it remains today what it was then: an interesting, highly theatrical experiment. Inspired by the real-life Leopold-Loeb murder case, which later was depicted in COMPULSION and SWOON.
    Ronmac, take a run at Rope first then Compulsion. They both deal with murder just for the fun of it. Rope is rather cool though.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Ronmac, take a run at Rope first then Compulsion. They both deal with murder just for the fun of it. Rope is rather cool though.
    Well, considering that Rope is on at 6:00 am New Year's morning ...
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Well, considering that Rope is on at 6:00 am New Year's morning ...
    Aaaah yeah. Maybe it's better if I send you a copy.

Aaaah yeah. Maybe it's better if I send you a copy.
    It will be on again sometime. At least I know enough to look for it. Thanks.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

No a B&W movie, but TCM is showing a rare unedited broadcast of Blazing Saddles tonight at 10:30 EST.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Mr Peabody and the Mermaid (1948)

Anyone say Casablanca yet?

LOL...

Been a great run for Oscar month on TCM. Still waiting to get this channel in high-def
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Yep, and they're into the "Y"s, which means "Young Frankenstein" tonight at 10:00 PM EST.

Yep, and they're into the "Y"s, which means "Young Frankenstein" tonight at 10:00 PM EST.
    "Nice grouping".

King Kong

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kemp View Post
    King Kong
    👍 Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kemp View Post
    King Kong
    An all-time classic. One of the few movies I find myself watching every time it's on. No other versions compare to it, no matter how great the technology.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    What's your favorite B&W movie?
    Dr Strangelove. Without a question.

But, Jesus, there are so many wonderful B&W movies. My other faves (which I'll limit to those that immediately pop to mind when talking about B&W movies):

The 400 Blows
    Psycho
    Harvey, which includes the two of the best lines in any movie ever:
    "in this world you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."
    "...and how are you Mr Wilson?" If you've never seen the movie, trust me, it's worth watching just for that line and the ensuing double take.
    Stalag 17
    12 Angry Men
    Casablanca
    You Can't Take It With You
    Umberto D
    Persona (as much for Sven Nykvist's cinematography as for the movie itself; indeed, any B&W Bergman film is going to be gorgeous)
    Last Year at Marienbad (not that I'll pretend to understand it, but it's a pretty amazing film)
    And anything with Bogey, Cary Grant, or Jean Arthur or directed by Frank Capra.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Winchester 73
    Eraserhead
    Night Of The Living Dead
    Elephant Man
    Dr Strangelove

[QUOTE=Hal...;700377]Dr Strangelove. Without a question.

But, Jesus, there are so many wonderful B&W movies. My other faves (which I'll limit to those that immediately pop to mind when talking about B&W movies):

The 400 Blows
    Psycho
    Harvey, which includes the two of the best lines in any movie ever:
    "in this world you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."
    "...and how are you Mr Wilson?" If you've never seen the movie, trust me, it's worth watching just for that line and the ensuing double take.
    Stalag 17
    12 Angry Men
    Casablanca
    You Can't Take It With You
    Umberto D
    Persona (as much for Sven Nykvist's cinematography as for the movie itself; indeed, any B&W Bergman film is going to be gorgeous)
    Last Year at Marienbad (not that I'll pretend to understand it, but it's a pretty amazing film)
    And anything with Bogey, Cary Grant, or Jean Arthur or directed by Frank Capra.[/QUOTE12 Angry Men turned out to be a star movie didn't it. Everyone went on to do some great things except for the old man. Just don't remember seeing him in other movies but I'm sure he's had other parts.

How about The Letter, with Bette Davis.

12 Angry Men and Casablanca from Hal's list are my top 2 including color movies

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    12 Angry Men
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    12 Angry Men
    If there was EVER a "they-don't-make-them-like-that-anymore" movie, this is it. Regretfully, today's markets have neither the will nor patience to just sit and listen to great dialogue.

If there was EVER a "they-don't-make-them-like-that-anymore" movie, this is it. Regretfully, today's markets have neither the will nor patience to just sit and listen to great dialogue.
    It's one of the three things that's missing from today's movies along with, acting and story.

The Razor's Edge

It's one of the three things that's missing from today's movies along with, acting and story.
    Well, I know you're generalizing to make a point, because great work is still being done. The audience is the problem.

A very rare broadcast of "Eraserhead" will be on TCM Sunday morning at 2:00 am

12 Angry Men turned out to be a star movie didn't it. Everyone went on to do some great things except for the old man. Just don't remember seeing him in other movies but I'm sure he's had other parts.
    I don't think I've ever seen him in anything else other than spotting him as a butler in The Philadelphia Story... another great B&W movie.

How about The Letter, with Bette Davis.
    I don't know. If I did, it was a long time ago and I've forgotten it, altho, I've seen the clip of her shooting some guy.

I really like Bette Davis but for some reason I usually avoid her movies (my ex loved Now, Voyager, a movie I found hard to sit through). Two that I will watch repeatedly, tho, are The Petrified Forest and Marked Woman. Marked Woman is an especially interesting movie where she plays a "working woman" who stands up to the mobster she works for. In one scene, the mobster has a couple of henchmen take her into another room to make an example of her. The camera only shows the reactions of the other girls as the two thugs beat the shit out of Davis which you get to hear in detail (I found it pretty disturbing even after seeing some pretty violent movies from the '60s & '70s). The next time you see Davis, she's in the hospital. Bogey plays a prosecuting attorney who tries to convince her to testify against the mobster.

If there was EVER a "they-don't-make-them-like-that-anymore" movie, this is it.
    Aside from the great cast, it was directed by Sidney Lumet. There was a remake years later with Jack Lemmon & George C Scott that I found tepid. But then, Jack Lemmon is no Henry Fonda.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Jack Lemmon is pretty good, but some films don't need to be remade. I saw Jack Lemmon on stage in A Long Day's Journey into Night opposite a then unknown Kevin Spacey, and Lemmon was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Jack Lemmon is pretty good, but some films don't need to be remade. I saw Jack Lemmon on stage in A Long Day's Journey into Night opposite a then unknown Kevin Spacey, and Lemmon was excellent.
    I know Lemmon is good – he's excellent as an everyman, but I never thought him quite as good as Henry Fonda, who can take the everyman to another level. I'm of the opinion Fonda and Paul Newman may be the most underrated actors in filmdom.