Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Album by Any Other Name

An Album by Any Other Name

In 1977 Pekka Pohjola released an album called "The Mathematician's Air Display," featuring Mike Oldfield. At the same time (I believe) the album was released as "The Consequences of Indecision" by Mike Oldfield (featuring Pekka Pohjola).

i cannot think of another album that was released under two different titles by two different artists. Can you?

I know TMAD/TCOI story is even more complicated than this -- it has at least two other titles in various countries -- but I'm only using it to ask the central question.

It's more common in jazz. For example:

Stereo Drive (stereo version) by Cecil Taylor = Hard Driving Jazz (mono version) by Cecil Taylor = Coltrane Time by John Coltrane
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

It is not uncommon for an album to 'acquire' a common name not given it by the artist.

It is also not uncommon for an album to be re-released under a hit single's name to draw attention to the fact that it contains the hit single.

I'm specifically asking for examples -- like the Coltrane -- where the album is released or re-released under two different artists' names.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Aren't there multiple different albums released as Jack Lancaster's Skinningrove Bay one of which may or may not also be out as "Wild Connections" by "Phil Collins" to capitalize on his name?

Magma's Wurdah Ïtah was originally released as Christian Vander solo album titled Tristan et Yseult (pretending to be a soundtrack to a film of the same name).

Then there's Halfnelson by Halfnelson, which was soon re-released as Sparks by Sparks. Although that probably doesn't count since that was just a case of band changing its name, not two different artists. Which probably also applies to Walter Carlos' Clockwork Orange by Walter Carlos being re-released as Wendy Carlos' Clockwork Orange by Wendy Carlos.

Zappa and the Flo & Eddie version of the Mothers jammed with John Lennon and the Plastic Band one night and was recorded live. Lennon released one version with Zappa's band down in the mix and Yoko's screaming up loud. Decades later, Zappa released part of it on Playground Psychotics (I don't recall Lennon's album's name) with a completely different mix. One song, which I believe Lennon named Scumbag, was actually King Kong. Zappa was not very happy with Lennon's version of the album.

"It was 1971, and we were working at the Fillmore East, and we had a recording truck set up out there, because we were doing an album. And we'd played one night until about three in the morning, and I was sound asleep the next afternoon when I heard this knock. I opened the door and here's this guy from The Village Voice, with John Lennon standing next to him and this microphone aimed at my face, waiting to record my first gasp of whatever. I said, "Come on in." And the first thing John said to me was, "You're not as ugly as you look in your pictures." I thanked him very much and offered him a chair. I told him we were working at the Fillmore East and, you know, "How'd you like to come down and sit in?" I thought it'd be good for a few laughs. So he said yeah, and they did. Now the horrible part of the story. During our time onstage, a number of pieces were improvised, but a number of pieces that were played were absolutely written compositions that had already been on other albums -- namely, a song of mine called "King Kong." The deal that I made with John and Yoko was that we were both to have access to the tapes and could deploy them any way we wanted. They got a duplicate copy of the master, and they mixed it their way. I had a copy of the master, and I was gonna mix it and put it out as part of this Mothers album. They put out this record and took "King Kong" -- which obviously has a tune, and a rhythm, and chord changes -- and they called it "Jam Rag," and accredited the writing and publishing to themselves. Take a look at the album."

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    Magma's Wurdah Ïtah was originally released as Christian Vander solo album titled Tristan et Yseult (pretending to be a soundtrack to a film of the same name).

Then there's Halfnelson by Halfnelson, which was soon re-released as Sparks by Sparks. Although that probably doesn't count since that was just a case of band changing its name, not two different artists. Which probably also applies to Walter Carlos' Clockwork Orange by Walter Carlos being re-released as Wendy Carlos' Clockwork Orange by Wendy Carlos.
    She was allready Wendy Carlos when she made it.

German Prog band Opus released their debut as Opus 1, it was later also Released as Pur - Opus

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    German Prog band Opus released their debut as Opus 1, it was later also Released as Pur - Opus
    I would say it's more proggish, than prog.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    She was allready Wendy Carlos when she made it.
    Perhaps, but that's not the name that was printed on the record sleeve at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Not what the OP was asking for. Lots of artists have renamed their albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Aren't there multiple different albums released as Jack Lancaster's Skinningrove Bay one of which may or may not also be out as "Wild Connections" by "Phil Collins" to capitalize on his name?
    Good call, and this is a double weird example. "Wild Connections" is a 1979 duet album by Lancaster and Rick Van Der Linden. Drums are by Barry Morgan.

"Skinningrove Bay" (1980) has been released under three different titles, one other being "Wild Connections".... With the names of Phil Collins, Gary Moore and Rod Argent on the cover. No mention of Jack Lancaster! It's also been released as "Deep Green" under everybody's names.

The weird part is, the song "Wild Connections" doesn't even APPEAR on Skinningrove Bay.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 06-09-2016 at 06:21 PM.

The only one I've come across a few times in secondhand record shops, is a 60s bluesy/soul/R n B album by an artist I've vaguely heard of, on which Hendrix was a session guitarist. Then after Hendrix died they re-released the album with a photo of Hendrix on the sleeve, under Hendrix' name and with a different album title, and with the original artist/band name in much smaller text as a sub-title. It's only when you look at the back of the sleeve and start reading and start listening that you realise it isn't a Hendrix album at all. I can't remember the original artist though. Perhaps someone else can. Musically the album is quite good actually but it isn't a Hendrix album.

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    Perhaps, but that's not the name that was printed on the record sleeve at the time.
    It is her decision to re-release it under her real name.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    The only one I've come across a few times in secondhand record shops, is a 60s bluesy/soul/R n B album by an artist I've vaguely heard of, on which Hendrix was a session guitarist.
    Curtis Knight

Curtis Knight
    Similar deal with Tony Sheridan and The Beatles.

Recently, Pat Metheny and John Zorn collaborated on some of Zorn's music that was released under each name with the same title - Tap. Although it was released under the same name, the covers are obviously different as are the releasing record companies.

In somewhat similar vein, Robert Fripp and David Sylvian collaborated on a live rendition of the their First Day release. Sylvian's release of Damage came out with a mix done by Sylvian. Years later, Fripp remixed the tapes and released his version of Damage with a slightly different setlist.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

2nd Vision released the LP "First Steps" in 1980.

In 2000 the CD-version was released as John Etheridge And Ric Sanders: "2nd Vision".

So no more "first steps"...

R-2482628-1295715106.jpeg.jpg

R-5410440-1417208912-8829.jpeg.jpg

Tom Robinson & Jakko Jakszyk released an LP called "We Never Had It So Good", which turned into "Blood Brother" when it was published on CD.

Curtis Knight
    YES, that's it! Thanks. As soon as I saw the name I recognised it.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    In somewhat similar vein, Robert Fripp and David Sylvian collaborated on a live rendition of the their First Day release. Sylvian's release of Damage came out with a mix done by Sylvian. Years later, Fripp remixed the tapes and released his version of Damage with a slightly different setlist.
    The other way around I believe. Fripp's mix was first.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    The other way around I believe. Fripp's mix was first.
    I thought the same thing when I read that. Sylvian did "his thing" in 2001, 7 years after the original release of Damage.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    In 1977 Pekka Pohjola released an album called "The Mathematician's Air Display," featuring Mike Oldfield. At the same time (I believe) the album was released as "The Consequences of Indecision" by Mike Oldfield (featuring Pekka Pohjola).
    I know this wasn't the purpose of this being shared, but how's the album?

I think the examples in your link of band's with non-debut albums being self titled and subsequently being called different things by fans (there's a mouthful) illustrates why I'm annoyed by bands taking this approach. Echolyn, St. Vincent, Genesis and many others have done this, presumably to illustrate that they feel they have arrived somewhere musically, or that the album is a good representation of who they really are. But for the fan base or public at large it just causes confusion and causes us to have to call the album something different anyway: Windows, Shapes, etc. I think Yes took a good approach when naming "The Yes Album". I believe it was a way of making a statement like "THIS is what we want to make as a musical statement". It makes the statement but is still distinct enough from the name of their debut to avoid confusion.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

The most famous example is the White Album by the Beatles. I don't believe that I've ever read or heard someone call it by it's real name, "The Beatles", except in discographies. Amazon lists the album as The Beatles: White Album.
    Last edited by StevegSr; 06-09-2016 at 05:04 PM.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by ProgArtist View Post
    I know this wasn't the purpose of this being shared, but how's the album?
    Not a catalog highlight for either artist. A couple tracks feature Sally Oldfield's vocals, a couple feature Georg Wadenius on guitar, others Pierre Moerlen on percussion. The album's a little incohesive.