Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Into forgotten movies from the 80's?

Banned

The Promising Boy (Serbo-Croatian: Dečko koji obećava) is a 1981 Yugoslav youth genre film. Strongly influenced by the emerging new wave movement that seemingly challenged many of the established social norms in communist Yugoslavia, the movie tells the story of a young man who goes from being a good son to rebellious misfit and back again.
    It also served as the showcase of sorts for various bands of Yugoslav new wave and punk music scenes.

Banned

Banović Strahinja (Serbian Cyrillic: Бановић Страхиња, internationally released as The Falcon) is a 1981 Yugoslavian adventure film written and directed by Vatroslav Mimica based on Strahinja Banović, a hero of Serbian epic poetry. It entered the section "Officina Veneziana" at the 38th Venice International Film Festival.
    During the late 14th century Serbia becomes the target of the Ottoman Empire. While the respected Serbian noble Strahinja Banović is out hunting, a Turkish renegade gang burns his castle, kills all of his servants, and takes the young wife of Banović Strahinja. Strahinja begins a long quest to rescue his wife despite everybody else's doubts in her fidelity. Strahinja gathers a posse of scoundrels and goes after the bandits. In the meantime, the Turkish bandit Alija tries to seduce Strahinja's wife Anđa, but she refuses him. However, over a period of time she begins to weaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    And Joanna Cassidy. It's Under Fire (1983) - still watchable today, as is Salvador. Together with the surprisingly memorable Last Plane Out (also 1983 and starring Jan Michael Vincent - now THERE's an 80s bygone star for you!), this was often regarded as the 'Trinity of Somoza-vs.-sandinistas movies'. Ken Loach made a fine one over a decade later, though - Carla's Song.
    Thanks for Under Fire
    simply never heard of LPO, though

As for Loach's Movie, I liked it as well...

Another Nicaragua Contra/Sandinista movie was Walker (87)
    https://rateyourmusic.com/film/walker/

I hope Reagan pissed his pants out of rage when viewing the last frames
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Rodney put out a few funny movies in the 80s, with this one being my favorite:

I definitely preffered his next one...
    Back To School.... he was chaining out the replies so quick that you couldn't hear them as everyone out in the theatre was still laughing over the previous two punch lines

==================

a very forgotten 80's film about the beauty of language was Reuben Reuben
    https://rateyourmusic.com/film/reuben__reuben/

In some ways this was a bit of a Dead Poet Society before its time

==============

One of the best early Sean Penn movie : Bad Boys (83 as wel I think)
    https://rateyourmusic.com/film/bad_boys_f1/

This dude's role was gut-wrenching...

Other young actors of the times (Rob Lowe, Ton Cruise, etc...) couldn't reach his ankle when it came to acting
    Last edited by Trane; 06-09-2016 at 10:37 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

From 1981 featuring Lauren "Love Boat" Tewes and Jennifer Jason Leigh....

-=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

You haven't lived till you've seen Sleepaway Camp. The ending is, uh, something else.

Banned

Of Unknown Origin is a 1983 Canadian-American horror film directed by George P. Cosmatos and starring Peter Weller. It was written by Brian Taggert and based on the novel The Visitor by Chauncey G. Parker III. It was filmed on location in Montreal, Quebec but set in New York City. The film won two awards at the Paris Film Festival. Mild-mannered everyman Bart Hughes has a great life in New York City. When his wife and child leave for a vacation, Bart stays behind to work on a project that should get him a promotion. Some sort of rodent in his basement starts to bother him and consumes his time. Bart becomes obsessed with it and eventually starts losing his mind while trying to kill the creature, destroying most of his house in the process.

^^^^ Now THIS one looks like it's worth checking out...

I remember Of Unknown Origin. Good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Another Nicaragua Contra/Sandinista movie was Walker (87)
    https://rateyourmusic.com/film/walker/
    Ahh, with Ed Harris! Albeit more of a farce, sporting bizarre anachronistic traits and all. But this is the movie where Harris' protagonist character operates a pound of flesh from a patient and tells his sidekick "It's been a long time!" before putting it to his mouth. Great, preposterous film!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    You haven't lived till you've seen Sleepaway Camp. The ending is, uh, something else.

I watched this with my drunkard mum (R.I.P.) back in '84, and she was absolutely baffled by that ending. I remember she was knitting while seeing it, and that the noise of her sticks made a sudden halt at this stage - so I looked over at her, seeing how she'd pulled her glasses down to the tip of her nose and just sat there, giggling without a sound.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    When I think of 80s movies, I think The Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai Across The Eighth Dimension....

... then there's Brainstorm .....
    Couldn't stand Buckaroo Banzai for some reason.

Brainstorm is great!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I watched this with my drunkard mum (R.I.P.) back in '84, and she was absolutely baffled by that ending. I remember she was knitting while seeing it, and that the noise of her sticks made a sudden halt at this stage - so I looked over at her, seeing how she'd pulled her glasses down to the tip of her nose and just sat there, giggling without a sound.
    The funniest part of that is, per IMDb, the actor credited with the reveal is "Archie Liberace."

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    I think the only thing I have seen listed that qualifies as a possibly forgotten gem would be "All Of Me". The rest enjoy hardcore, widespread cult status, or just regular status.

Can we just talk about great 80s movies without qualifiers or distinctions? Let's not prog the hell out of the premise and just enjoy it.

Also, "Mac and Me" is straight-up garbage. Which is why Paul Rudd has been using the same scene from it for...20 years?...in place of clips from whatever actual movie he's currently plugging when he appears on Conan.
    I'll just prog out one more time (here)! All of Me is hardly forgotten - they used to show it to death on HBO.

Wasn't Up the Creek billed as a "Mad Magazine" movie? Never saw it actually.

I'm sure plenty of people remember the movie "Meatballs" with Bill Murray, where he's a camp counselor? For some reason, HBO would NOT STOP showing this movie for ages, so my brothers and I saw it a ton of times. We eventually came to love it, and my older brother somehow managed to make VHS copies of it that played at super-fast speed (I think by connecting two VCRs), so that we could experience the movie in just a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Wasn't Up the Creek billed as a "Mad Magazine" movie? Never saw it actually..
    "Up the Academy" was the MAD movie. With Barbara Bach as the munitions and ammo professor.

How about Alan Quatermain And The Lost City Of Gold? Or Remo Williams:The Adventure Begins?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Couldn't stand Buckaroo Banzai for some reason.

Brainstorm is great!
    Never saw it. I did enjoy Brazil and Big Trouble in little China though.

One that comes to mind for forgotten or obscure films though is Paris Texas. Kind of a strange movie but I remember it being very good.

One that I recently rewatched several times was the following, then perceived as an allegorical play on the aids-scare of the day (1986). It was remade into a complete turd (by Michael Bay) a few years back, but the original is actually still worth seeing and an awesome laugh for the acting limitations of C. Thomas Howell alone; as when Hauer's character ('John Ryder' ) promptly tells him that he's going to cut off his legs, arms and head and Howell just puts up this facial expression of disbelief and then - wait - continues driving down the road.

I'm sure plenty of people remember the movie "Meatballs" with Bill Murray, where he's a camp counselor? For some reason, HBO would NOT STOP showing this movie for ages, so my brothers and I saw it a ton of times. We eventually came to love it, and my older brother somehow managed to make VHS copies of it that played at super-fast speed (I think by connecting two VCRs), so that we could experience the movie in just a few minutes.
    Meatballs is one of my all time favorites.

"Attention! The bus for Camp Mohawk leaves in 15 minutes, also, there is a very large pair of pants on the flagpole!"

"What? No mustard?"

"Even if we play so far over our heads we get nosebleeds for a week to ten to days. Even if GOD IN HEAVEN came down and pointed to our side of the field. Even if every man and woman in the world held hands and prayed for our side to win, it still wouldn't mattter, because all the good looking girls would still go out with the guys from Mohawk because they've got all the money. It just doesn't matter! It just doesn't matter! It just doesn't matter!"

"We played for peanuts tonight. Tomorrow, we play for real stakes: zucchini!"

That whole spiel Bill Murray gives in the parking lot, in front of the news cameras at the Camp Mohawk buses is hilarious. "And for political week, we're having Henry Kissinger and Menachim Begin come down and rap with the kids!".

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    "Up the Academy" was the MAD movie. With Barbara Bach as the munitions and ammo professor.
    It was until the movie proved to be a flop and Mad Magazine disavowed it. They even had them edit out Alfred E. Neumann's cameo.

Edit: just doublechecked the Wikipedia article on Up The Academy. Apparently Mad publisher William Gaines was upset that stuff that Warner Brothers promised they would cut didn't get cut, and he thought it wasn't a very good movie. So he paid 30 grand to have all references and allusions to Mad be removed from the movie when it played on HBO. He said it was "worth $30,000!".
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 06-09-2016 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Meatballs is one of my all time favorites.
    Spaz -- Spaz -- Spaz -- Spaz -- Spaz -- Spaz -- Spaz

If you are fan of Meatballs, then spend an hour or so on this site:

http://www.meatballsonline.com/home

Don't forget Chris Makepeace as Rudy da Wabbit!

Speaking of Chris Makepeace… I am very fond of this movie:

My Bodyguard - 1980
    American comedy-drama film directed by Tony Bill (his directorial debut), and written by Alan Ormsby. The film stars Chris Makepeace, Adam Baldwin, Matt Dillon, Martin Mull, and Ruth Gordon.

The film was the debut of both Baldwin and an uncredited Jennifer Beals, and was Joan Cusack's first major film.

Fun Fact:
    Chris Makepeace is credited on KISS' Music From 'The Elder', yet, does not appear on the album.

http://bravewords.com/news/kiss-musi...n-word-silence

KISS' MUSIC FROM THE ELDER - ACTOR CHRIS MAKEPEACE BREAKS THE SPOKEN WORD SILENCE (2012)

""Bob said that the plan was, should the album do well (and why wouldn't it?), that KISS would unmask for the first time and tour while we made the movie." - Chris Makepeace"

"I'll tell you what I remember about my Elder experience, but I'll have to confess that there isn't much to tell. I'll apologize in advance for any inaccuracies. Memories are funny things, and as time goes by and the stories get told and re-told, I wonder if it's the memory that's being told, or the memory of the story versions. But here's what I remember…"

"...the purpose of the spoken word dialogue was designed to do exactly that: to help thread the tale of "The Boy" and his epic odyssey. Producer Bob Ezrin contracted the services of Canadian-based actors Robert Christie, Chris Makepeace and Antony Parr, a recording session was scheduled and dialog was, in fact, recorded. Makepeace, a teenage actor who had garnered success in films such as Meatballs and My Bodyguard, played the role of "The Boy." Veteran actors Christie and Parr read the roles of the caretaker "Morpheus" and "Council of The Elder," respectively.

What happened next is not clear. Someone – perhaps an executive at PolyGram – made the call to discard the dialogue component, save for the lines during the album's final sequence, in what was likely a last-minute decision. One has to wonder why Ezrin would go through the trouble of recording dialogue only to not ultimately use it?

Whether there is one version of Music From The Elder that exists with the dialogue interspersed, or if there is simply a standalone recording of said dialogue, is unknown. Adding even more confusion, none of the spoken word participants ever went on record regarding their respective spoken word roles. As a result, this component has remained one of the biggest mysteries in KISStory.

It's interesting that the actor who played Spaz was actually responsible for hiring the cast for Meatballs. Why anyone would cast himself as Spaz is beyond me though. Lol.

As for Chris Makepeace what ever happened to him? I've seen the guy who played the actual body guard on tv but Chris Makepeace seems to have disappeared without a trace.

Meatballs rules! Saw that at the drive-in! Remember those?

My number one pick for forgotten 80s films:

36 the hidden a000.jpg
    Tu veux un camembert?