Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: McDonald & Giles album cover: did it hurt sales?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Now, that's a cover that would have sold some albums!
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    And that is the difference of opinions and interpretations. The first time I saw AHM in 1970, I thought WTF? 45 years later, my opinion hasn't changed.
    I do believe that was rather intentional. It's supposed to be WTF cover. It appeals directly to the surrealist side of me, as does the "Atom Heart Mother Suite."

Not everyone digs surrealism, and that's okay.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Someone above mentioned it didn't do well in his store even with it in the KC bin! THIS I think is a lot more of the issue. I think it has a lot more to do with the fact a lot of people don't know who is in a particular band, nor do they care? I also don't think many fans travel outside the band they know to investigate collaborations, or solos works etc. I went to a Transatlantic tour, their first, and figured the place would be swamped seeing there were FOUR different bands represented, the place was barren. I was taught to read credits, and i know this one has NONE outside the two guys, so if I saw something like this cold, ( I have it because my older brother had it first) in a KC bin, I would probably have recognized the names, and that alone would have piqued my interest. The cover isn't as interesting or inspiring as a Dean or Hipgnosis cover for sure! But I think people not "following" band members is more an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    I do believe that was rather intentional. It's supposed to be WTF cover. It appeals directly to the surrealist side of me, as does the "Atom Heart Mother Suite."

Agreed. Growing up, Floyd NEVER did interviews, I rarely read anything about THEM outside their shows etc. They were a flipping mystery, which added to their allure. The cow on the cover was a total trip for me, wondering what did these mysterious devils MEAN by this? It was always iconic for me.

Let's face it: it's not that good an album either.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Depends what you mean by "that" good. For my taste, the vocals are weak and I wish that in places they'd given the album a bit more oomph. Of course, Fripp would have done that, had these compositions made it onto a KC album. But notwithstanding those problems I like it and I listen to it more than I listen to the contemporary KC album ItWoP (which, it's worth remembering, went higher in the charts than did ItCotKC). So for me it's that good. And I recall that when the McDonald and Giles (and Giles) version of the 21st Century Schizoid Band played some of this stuff live (with added oomph), it stacked up well against the KC material.

For me it compares to "Fish Out Of Water" -- solo tracks that haven't been given the full gloss of a band rewrite, but very strong composing in a rather more raw state than we're used to.

Love the cover, love the album. It's one of those that's in between this and that, and all the better for it. Interesting all the way around.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I like the album. It's a parallel-dimension King Crimson album, except King Crimson is already the evil twin, so McD&G is the good twin. IMO it is as strong as Poseidon but lacks the menace. I see it, Poseidon, and the ELP debut as all carrying forward with the original KC sound, but with different tints and shades.

From my historically removed POV, it's pretty clear that popular tastes were turning dark and heavy. McD&G kept up the sunny psychedelic optimism that was more a hallmark of The Beatles. I can easily imagine that the album was overlooked because of this, in addition to what others have mentioned in this thread. It just wasn't the hot new sound people were eager to explore.

I agree, but what is surreal about the ass end of a cow? Seems more real then surreal to me. And ugly.

It's surreal in the context of being placed on the front of a rock album with no contextualization or explanation. Everything in that record store makes sense except there is a cow on the cover of the records. It is that startling dreamlike discontinuity with its surroundings that makes the cow surreal.

It's surreal in the context of being placed on the front of a rock album with no contextualization or explanation. Everything in that record store makes sense except there is a cow on the cover of the records. It is that startling dreamlike discontinuity with its surroundings that makes the cow surreal.
    I'm not disputing how the album cover appeared to you. Only how it appeared to me. You saw a surreal image and I saw tasteless trash.

It's all about one's own perspective, is it not?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    I've liked this album a lot since it was first released. Many of my friends were huge KC fans like me, so we were all familiar with this album. I even heard "Suite in C" and "Birdman" on the radio a few times. When I put the album on the other night, it struck me that the album cover really gives no clue as to the music. I always liked the cover, and it's unique in many ways. Still, if a person unfamiliar with KC saw this album in the store back then, would a pink and purple photo of two rock musicians walking with their girlfriends make you want to buy the album, or give you any idea what the music sounds like? There haven't been a lot of prog albums that didn't have "artsy" covers, and I'm just wondering whether a different cover might have helped album sales. This album didn't have much success financially...
    I've never looked closely at the cover (and I think I've only heard a little of the album once!), but at quick glance the cover always looked like they were suggesting it was a great album to listen to with your date.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I've never looked closely at the cover (and I think I've only heard a little of the album once!), but at quick glance the cover always looked like they were suggesting it was a great album to listen to with your date.
    Yes, that's possible with M&G. But not likely with Atom Heart Mother.

I like the album......always have, and never really thought much about the cover though it could have been more artistic but many artists back in the day just put their pics on the cover standing around.

I'm not disputing how the album cover appeared to you. Only how it appeared to me. You saw a surreal image and I saw tasteless trash.

It's all about one's own perspective, is it not?
    It read like you were disputing how it was surreal. "...what is surreal about the ass end of a cow?" I took the query as non-rhetorical. Now, clearly it wasn't.

Just by the way, John G. Perry's album "Sunset Wading" (1976) has a very similar sound, in places, to M&G and makes a good adjunct.

It read like you were disputing how it was surreal. "...what is surreal about the ass end of a cow?" I took the query as non-rhetorical. Now, clearly it wasn't.
    I understand how people can put certain things into perspective as you did with the cover of AHM, but sometimes when something is ugly, odd and out of place, that does not automatically make it dreamily surrealistic to some people, but simply ugly, odd and out of place. It depends on the viewer's perspective, either way.
    Last edited by StevegSr; 06-13-2016 at 06:43 PM.

Yeah. +1 on that.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    I would probably have recognized the names, and that alone would have piqued my interest. The cover isn't as interesting or inspiring as a Dean or Hipgnosis cover for sure! But I think people not "following" band members is more an issue.
    I did much the same.. I bought dozens of albums based on personnel or producer etc. in the 70's Come to think of it I bought my share of albums solely based on the album art work as well..

I always quite liked the cover.

Two vaguely groovy looking musicians with their comely ladies.

Lookin all pastoral and stuff.

Which pretty much reflected the vibe of the album.

I doubt a different cover would've improved sales or lent more insight into the musical content.
    It's not a knockout release but seemingly does what the artists that made it wanted it to do well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by groon View Post
    Depends what you mean by "that" good. For my taste, the vocals are weak and I wish that in places they'd given the album a bit more oomph. Of course, Fripp would have done that, had these compositions made it onto a KC album. But notwithstanding those problems I like it and I listen to it more than I listen to the contemporary KC album ItWoP (which, it's worth remembering, went higher in the charts than did ItCotKC). So for me it's that good. And I recall that when the McDonald and Giles (and Giles) version of the 21st Century Schizoid Band played some of this stuff live (with added oomph), it stacked up well against the KC material.
    What I meant, is that this is a second (if not third) tier 70's prog album... Nothing I would call essential or a classic... Maybe one of those "unearthed gem"... if it was ever "unearthed", and "gem" might be a strong word for it

Don't get me wrong, I bought the remaster and it gets some spins
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Just listened to M&G for the first time in decades and it hasn't improved. I think what holds back the album is that Ian McDonald was such a limited vocalist for material that called for either a Jon Anderson or a Greg Lake, depending on the song. Giles is still one the truly underappreciated drummers in prog or rock. The man just oozes with jazz, is busy as hell, while never being a distraction. Amazing!

Just listened to M&G for the first time in decades and it hasn't improved. I think what holds back the album is that Ian McDonald was such a limited vocalist for material that called for either a Jon Anderson or a Greg Lake, depending on the song. Giles is still one the truly underappreciated drummers in prog or rock. The man just oozes with jazz, is busy as hell, while never being a distraction. Amazing!
    I also just re-listened this yesterday and I gotta say that busyness of drumming WAS distracting to me some of the time. And it does not help that drums are mixed very up-front. Great drumsound on the other hand but bit too much!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I also just re-listened this yesterday and I gotta say that busyness of drumming WAS distracting to me some of the time. And it does not help that drums are mixed very up-front. Great drumsound on the other hand but bit too much!
    I was trying to be kind, but with a limited flat vocalist like McDonald, I'll take the drums up front on this album!