Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Hogarth Era Marillion

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I love everything about This Strange Engine. Yes, even "Hope for the Future." Love Anoraknophobia. I have to be in the right mood for .com and Radiation, but those two are perfect when that mood hits.
    Agreed on both Anorak and TSE. Both right below Brave/AOS/Marbles for me (right now, that is...we'll see where FEAR ends up...).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    And there's the problem with Hogarth's Marillion. Its funny how a band I loved from 1982-1988 became a band I now so loathe.
    Well, over the course of 20-30 years, the band's music has naturally changed a lot. So it's not surprising that a lot of people who liked the music from the 80s might dislike all the music the band wrote post '88.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I like the remix of Radiation, but I never had a problem with the original. With just a few exceptions I love the stretch of TSE, Radiation, and .com. But I like them all!!
    So do I. This Strange Engine is one of my favorite Marillion albums and I think it's my favorite Hogarth performance (vocally) on a studio album ever. I just love how he sounds on it. I never had a problem with the original Radiation either. It's another favorite.

I guess that was the Tour fund tour. I missed the one before that. I must have completely blacked out that they toured the US for Afraid of Sunlight! I've been kind of fortunate to avoid witnessing many Brave songs live. There have been a few, but I imagine it could have been a lot worse.

Well, over the course of 20-30 years, the band's music has naturally changed a lot. So it's not surprising that a lot of people who liked the music from the 80s might dislike all the music the band wrote post '88.
    Yeah, it's sad how some want bands locked in a timewarp, and my quoted post was nothing to do with those sentiments in the first place.

Fish has gone (nearly 30 years ago!) and is not coming back.

Given how music was fragmenting around that time, it's doubtful the band would have had the massive audience it managed to attract in the 1980s. They certainly would have lost much of their audience in the US. The decline would have been slower in Europe I think.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Yeah, it's sad how some want bands locked in a timewarp, and my quoted post was nothing to do with those sentiments in the first place.

Fish has gone (nearly 30 years ago!) and is not coming back.
    He's still doing amazing work though. It's too bad that he's having some back problems and is on the road toward musical retirement. It would have been great to see him on tour for Feast Of Consequences.

Stop the presses!!! Isn't Fish still the singer??? Seriously, H has been the man since 1989. I think he's done wonders with the band since.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    So do I. This Strange Engine is one of my favorite Marillion albums and I think it's my favorite Hogarth performance (vocally) on a studio album ever. I just love how he sounds on it. I never had a problem with the original Radiation either. It's another favorite.

I guess that was the Tour fund tour. I missed the one before that. I must have completely blacked out that they toured the US for Afraid of Sunlight! I've been kind of fortunate to avoid witnessing many Brave songs live. There have been a few, but I imagine it could have been a lot worse.
    Wow, on the AoS tour I saw them twice. The show at Toad's Place in New Haven was excellent, and really intimate, like with the SE and HiE shows I saw in Syracuse. just a few feet away from all the action, Wes opened, and Mike Portnoy was there and hung out afterward, which was not unusual back then.

The AoS tour was the best I've ever seen Marillion. I caught shows in Cleveland, Columbus and Chicago, iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The AoS tour was the best I've ever seen Marillion. I caught shows in Cleveland, Columbus and Chicago, iirc.
    Yeah, they were great. Surprisingly high energy.

After AoS they made too many albums in a short period of time which affected the quality. The rock riffing and the lack of melodies is not my bag at all.

Yeah, they were great. Surprisingly high energy.
    Only US tour I decided to skip since 1986.

No regrets, but I can pull out the Corn Exchange official bootleg if I ever have the urge to listen. It's a decent enough set save for Cannibal Surf Babe, a few Brave songs and Hogarth butchering a few Clutching at Straws tunes.

Well, over the course of 20-30 years, the band's music has naturally changed a lot. So it's not surprising that a lot of people who liked the music from the 80s might dislike all the music the band wrote post '88
    I'm the opposite: I got in to Marillion from the get-go when I bought Market Square Heroes as a very pricey import. Saw them every time they came to Los Angeles through the Clutching at Straws tour, the show at the Roxy on the Misplaced Childhood tour was incredible. Still followed them after Derek Dick left, have seen them a bunch of times with h etc. etc.

I now find the first two albums and related singles unlistenable, so horribly derivative and in the case of the Fugazi so horribly mixed and mastered that I can't be bothered. I like Misplaced Childhood a lot but still haven't listened to since I gave the expanded edition a spin when it came out. Clutching at Straws is wildly overrated I think, as I've mentioned here before Sugar Mice in particular live is what I call a "bathroom/beer break song", it's the aural equivalent of ice picks in the ears for me. I love the run of albums from Brave > Marbles, Afraid of Sunlight being one of my favorite albums by anyone (and yes, I love Cannibal Surf Babe, was glad to get to hear it live the last time they were here). They're been spotty recently, but I really like the new album and am very excited to see them in three weeks.
    ...or you could love