Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gentle Giant covers

Usually I press edit, and then I delete what I wrote, then the post, pressing a delete this post, maybe twice. Sometimes its tricky...

Here's an odd one:

Note that it's all the same guy, on both brass and saxes. And he says, "This recording features the debut of my Alto Trumpet in F, an instrument which is only rarely played. Well, not only did I play the instrument on this tune, I got to improvise on it too. The blaring, strident sound is surprisingly similar to the lead vocal sound on the original and also works nicely for soloing over the relentlessly building accompaniment." And he's right. It really does sound like Derek Shulman's voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Enjoying a lot of these, hearing most for the first time, so thanks for posting. Here are a couple more, the first of which, at least, has been posted here on PE before...

And Always Almost's Aspirations:

Always Almost being Brett, Ray, and Paul of echolyn, with Volare's Patrick Strawser on keys. Recorded live in studio, this is take #2, exactly as played.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Here's an odd one:

Note that it's all the same guy, on both brass and saxes. And he says, "This recording features the debut of my Alto Trumpet in F, an instrument which is only rarely played. Well, not only did I play the instrument on this tune, I got to improvise on it too. The blaring, strident sound is surprisingly similar to the lead vocal sound on the original and also works nicely for soloing over the relentlessly building accompaniment." And he's right. It really does sound like Derek Shulman's voice.
    Great job!

Greetings,

Very cool collection, many of which I haven't seen before (and look forward to checking out soon). Really appreciate the Advent inclusion as well and, for the sake of completion, I'll also mention that we also contributed a medley of "Experience" and "For Nobody" for Mellow Records' Giant for a Life tribute release:

http://mellowlabelproductions.bandca...nce-for-nobody

From a personal perspective, getting that opening down on the Stick was a real challenge (especially since I was pretty new to the instrument at the time).

Additionally, I wanted to share the fact that Steve Hahn recorded a few excellent solo Stick arrangements of GG tunes:

1. "Raconteur Troubadour/Acquiring the Taste"
    2. "Spooky Boogie"
    3. "Cogs/Aspirations"

The first two appeared on Steve's debut CD, Stickburst, and the third on the independent/Internet-based Giant Tracks tribute (for which Advent's "BITB" was originally recorded as well). Unfortunately, I don't think there are any online samples of Steve's tracks aside from this eight-second sample from the "Cogs in Cogs" section of the last track that can be found here:

https://www.blazemonger.com/GT/cogs.html

Cheers,

Alan

A friend of mine came with this one:
    Berend Dubbe: Think Of Me With Kindness (feat. his wife Gwen Thomas and a noisy Mellotron)

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    A friend of mine came with this one:
    Berend Dubbe: Think Of Me With Kindness (feat. his wife Gwen Thomas and a noisy Mellotron)

And he is wearing a Magma T-shirt. I suppose you can't get more prog than that.

As Free Hand is back in the news these days w/ the SW remixes, just figured I'd post this vid (that I did a few months ago) for any fans - particularly keyboardists interested in a bird's eye view of Kerry's parts on the live version.
    Enjoy...and long live the Giant.

~ Mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdNVVYPbVpg

(Apologies if this was posted before --- I couldn't find it thru a quick search.)

Talybont

Here's a Cover Version of GG's "Wreck" by Jana Draka.

https://youtu.be/ZDSJ6sTtT-M

Dan Bornemark and family and friends have done another excellent cover of 'Isn't It Quiet and Cold?'.

Would you consider this a cover?

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post

Dan Bornemark and family and friends have done another excellent cover of 'Isn't It Quiet and Cold?'.
    Greetings,

Dan is an extremely talented guy (and a dear friend who is really great to work with too). Really happy to see his Egentligen Giant getting some well-deserved love here.

Cheers,

Alan

remastered versions of Advent's two GG tributes from the 1990s

Hi again,

While I'm here (revisiting this thread for the first time in a while), I thought I'd share the remastered versions of Advent's two Gentle Giant tribute works as well:

Please note that the latter (our medley of "Experience" and "For Nobody") also features a previously unreleased final mix of the tune.

Thanks for listening and I sincerely hope you enjoy these works from way back in the 1990s in their newly remastered form!

Best wishes,

Alan

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    ^^^Really impressive! Nice job.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Somehow I'm not surprised -- the few Advent songs I've heard reminded me (in a good way) of the Giant.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    ^^^Really impressive! Nice job.
    Thanks very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Somehow I'm not surprised -- the few Advent songs I've heard reminded me (in a good way) of the Giant.
    Thanks a lot!

Excellent Alan! What's up next for Advent??

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    Excellent Alan! What's up next for Advent??
    Thank you very much, Dok! The pandemic ended up bringing on some fairly big life changes for some of Advent's band members, making it really difficult to work on our next release (initially one planned single followed by our fourth album) with any semblance of regularity. During this time period, however, we decided to shift gears and try our hand at putting together what I'd hoped would be a serious of miniatures based solely on remote collaboration. In the end, we only ended up completing and releasing one of these:

https://advent-prog.bandcamp.com/track/pas-de-quatre

With things finally settling (for most of us, anyway), Advent is back to working on material for our fourth album and we've been making progress on a regular basis for the past two months or so. It's hard to say when we'll be ready to release at this point, but it's really great to be just about fully back in the business of making new music once again.

Best wishes and thanks again for your kind feedback and interest on what we've been up to,

Alan

Nice! Great to hear your working on the next album!