Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moon Safari - Blomljud

The version of Blomljud I have says "remastered by Jonas Reingold" from 2012
    Does anyone have both and are there significant differences between the original self produced version in 2008?

I think they have worked with Jonas on all their future releases so maybe the remaster is sounding the best.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    The version of Blomljud I have says "remastered by Jonas Reingold" from 2012
    Does anyone have both and are there significant differences between the original self produced version in 2008?

I think they have worked with Jonas on all their future releases so maybe the remaster is sounding the best.
    Do you mean releases since 2012?
    Last edited by Firth; 06-05-2016 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Do mean releases since 2012?
    No just Blomljud - the one I have says it is a remaster released in 2012 -
    Also I hear the Japan version has a bonus track. Is it worth spending the money for it?

No just Blomljud - the one I have says it is a remaster released in 2012 -
    Also I hear the Japan version has a bonus track. Is it worth spending the money for it?
    The bonus track is "Song for Gene" (Gene Puerling of The Hi Los) which Accent (the vocal group Simon Akesson is a member of) covered on their first album. The Hi Los are the biggest influence on the MS vocal arrangements (also on Brian Wilson hence the superficial Beach Boys comparison which is sometimes made).

I would always recommend buying MS product as I love the guys but if you are short on funds, it's probably a bit of an extravagance.

Interesting trivia: before their first album Simon Akesson had never heard any Genesis and had only heard "And you and I" by Yes.

Blomljud is just terrific. Easily their finest hour. The other records are good but damn that one's good. I got stuck in my CD player for almost six months....
    The Prog Corner

I love Blumljud but I really, really enjoy lovers end - great album all the way through and lots of beautiful and well done harmonies. Might be a bit too pop for some, but geeze these guys need to eat! and they should be eating well, if life were fair, thats is, which it isnt.

I am hoping Progrock Records havent chased them off because they're really the best thing going these days, as far as really good Musical Prog (I hate sayign they're pop - because thats not a fair description). If they had been more established they probably would be doing OK, but I think they were about 10 years too late.

Unless they're doing great and I just dont know about it... If thats the case, my bad. I do like to complain how music is going to hell in a hand basket. These guys are just a fantastic breath of very fresh air.

I'm embarrassingly late to the party I know. But I just heard this CD for the first time about a month ago and am absolutely blown away. Going to have to make room in my top 10 to fit this in I think. I have and enjoy "A Doorway to Summer" but for some reason just never got around to getting the others. But Moon Safari's incredible work on the new Syn album "Trustworks" reminded me that I needed to get the rest of their catalog. I haven't stopped listening to this thing for a whole month now.

This is just a stunningly beautiful album. I absolutely love the feel and mood of these songs. The songs are complex but they all seem to flow so naturally. Harmonies from another world, perfect guitar tone with somewhat Camel like passages, and warm Hammond, Moog and Mellotron keyboard sounds; and then acoustic guitar throughout really making it complete. I haven't sat down with the lyrics yet but they seem quite positive and uplifting. I'm assuming "Methuselah's Children" is based on the Robert Heinlein book but I'm not sure if the whole album is based on his stories.

I've been buzzing all month with these songs in my head - this is one of those rare albums that I just HAD TO tell someone about it. I know everyone here has probably had it for years now but just in case anyone has been on the fence, don't wait.

And to top it off I'm giving this album all this praise and I haven't even heard disc 2 yet! I haven't been able to! ... as soon as "The Ghosts of Flowers Past" finishes and the cd cycles back to "Constant Bloom" I simply can't eject the thing. I'm trying to keep my expectations down for the second disc, but even if it isn't quite as good this is still an incredible album. Now if disc 2 is as good or better than disc 1....well we might be talking about the best album ever!

anyone else love this release?
    Been listening to "Blomljud" a lot lately as well. Great stuff! Disc 2 however can't reach the heights of Disc 1 but it's still good. Unusual for prog bands, I think their 31-minute epic is one of the weaker parts of the album. I don't think it's successful, but has its moments.

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    regardless, his cover of Constant Bloom is pretty freakin' sweet!
    Man, that really was sweet. I have grown to love MS, thanks to Geezer for pointing me in their direction.
    "And if Warhol's a genius, what am I? A speck of lint on the penis of an alien?"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Geech View Post
    Man, that really was sweet. I have grown to love MS, thanks to Geezer for pointing me in their direction.
    Ditto

I'm feelin' the love, boys!

Will - arrived yesterday. Very pleased.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Excellent!
    "And if Warhol's a genius, what am I? A speck of lint on the penis of an alien?"