Thread: Steve Hackett remix packages

Steve Hackett remix packages

For those of you who passed on the Phenomenon box set, individual releases of Spectral, Please and Defector are now up for grabs.

Spectral and Please have one disc of the previous remaster, one disc for Steven Wilson's remix, and a third disc containing the SW 5.1 mix on dvd.

Defector has one disc of the previous remaster, a pseudo 5.1 mix on dvd, and a third disc with Steve's live set at the Reading festival in 1981.

Worth buying? I'd say yes.

I really enjoyed SW's remixes of Spectral and Please - they do sound a little clearer, with better separation of instruments and a warmer bass/drum sound. Singing is definitely clearer, and I liked the clearer demarcation between tracks on Spectral compared to the older LP version where they tended to overlap.

The sleeve notes on Please were particularly enlightening, as they revealed Steve's desire to create an ensemble album rather than a guitar solo album, so the remix actually has some of his guitar parts a little lower in the mix to emphasise the collective group effort, and it works.

The surround mixes are good - nice sound stage, nothing fancy, but again opening up the sound a little more and giving you the chance to hear each musician's contribution a little more clearly.

The Defector package may seem a bit weak by comparison but I enjoyed it as much as the other two - the surround mix is fine and again opens up the sound. The live cd is a cracker though! I know Steve has released a fair bit of archive live stuff but this particular set is a highlight for me. The Reading Festival crowd were always a lively bunch and the band riff off that with a set that really rocks. It includes cuts from Cured, but they sound so much better with the likes of Ian Mosley powering them along on the drum kit. I suspect this set was recorded by BBC Radio so the sound quality is excellent, but no overdubs etc, so as live and raw as it gets.

I swithered about buying these three reissues, but having spent all weekend playing them and then playing them again, I'm really pleased with them, and they've stimulated me to finally get beyond Steve's Charisma back catalogue and into the later music he created.

Thanks!
    I ordered Spectral Mornings and Please Don't touch.
    Can't wait!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    For those of you who passed on the Phenomenon box set,
    Premonitions, not Phenomenon.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Well:

(1) It was a phenomenal box set

(2) I was so smitten by hearing these albums again and so excited to share that vibe that I got my titles mixed up; or

(3) I deliberately made that error to give irritating nit-pickers like yourself something to justify logging in.

It's a multiple choice - feel free to tick whichever answer you think is the right one

Where did you order Hackett from??

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    Well:

(1) It was a phenomenal box set

(2) I was so smitten by hearing these albums again and so excited to share that vibe that I got my titles mixed up; or

(3) I deliberately made that error to give irritating nit-pickers like yourself something to justify logging in.

It's a multiple choice - feel free to tick whichever answer you think is the right one
    I agree - physically and graphically the package is phenomenal. I'm not really a good nit-picker, but spent a couple of minutes searching the net for Phenomenon before realizing it was Premonitions. So just passing that on to others. But thanks for the info on the separate releases. Nice for Steve to have his catalog continue to have nice editions and good distribution.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Where did you order Hackett from??
    Burning Shed.
    If you don't know them, check them out...all your money will soon be going there.

Or Amazon

Or Amazon
    I didn't see them there when i checked but i could have missed them.
    I do give lots to Amazon but I often try to steer things to the smaller businesses that seem to care about the artists.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    I didn't see them there when i checked but i could have missed them.
    I do give lots to Amazon but I often try to steer things to the smaller businesses that seem to care about the artists.
    Sorry, I just assumed since they have Premonitions - but maybe they don't yet list the single albums.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Chad

Thanks!

(I still remember the very first time I heard Spectral Mornings. I had just stumbled onto it at Sam Goody's about a week after its release. I played it that morning on my fairly good stereo at a nice loud volume and the opening track floored me. The driving rhythm was stirring. Hackett's blistering guitar solo set the hook. Love at first listening. Each track was great.

There is nothing like discovering good music. Nothing else allows us to experience time and live in the moment like music does. Whether on the first listen or 35+ years later, music provides us with the opportunity to be continually enchanted and to act as a set of evolving connections throughout our life.)

Banned
    Hahah busteeeed! However, I do agree that it is quite 'Phenomenal'.

just bought the 3 stand alone deluxe packages for under $57 via Amazon/Oxfordshire. great deal

I will miss having the Premonitions book I suppose . . .

Thanks!

There is nothing like discovering good music. Nothing else allows us to experience time and live in the moment like music does. Whether on the first listen or 35+ years later, music provides us with the opportunity to be continually enchanted and to act as a set of evolving connections throughout our life.)
    +1 well stated Gizmotron

Quote Originally Posted by itserik View Post
    +1 well stated Gizmotron
    You can probably tell that music is very important to me.

Old man of prog
    Thanks!
    I ordered Spectral Mornings and Please Don't touch.
    Can't wait!
    Anybody know whether the "Please Don't Touch" DVD has a Hi Rez 2 channel mix? I chanced it and ordered it.

Posted this review of the three reissues on my blog this morning:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....defector-1980/

All visitors and views welcome.

There is nothing like discovering good music. Nothing else allows us to experience time and live in the moment like music does.
    I can think of one other thing. But yeah, music is the other.

I can think of one other thing. But yeah, music is the other.
    Ah yes, my other favorite thing!