Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Syd Arthur - upcoming US shows (opener)

Syd Arthur - upcoming US shows (opener)

The new record is completed, they've officially changed drummers, but the 2 year wait for Syd Arthur to return to the US is coming to an end. So far they've only announced a string of shows opening for Jake Bugg (yeah, I know -- I've never heard of him either). The current rundown is:

Sep 7: Vancouver (The Commodore Ballroom)
    Sep 13: LA (The Wiltern)
    Sep 25: Philadelphia (TLA)
    Sep 27: NYC (Terminal 5)
    Sep 28: Boston (Royale)

Hopefully they'll be adding more shows (as headliners!)

The best place to get updates is their Facebook page.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Coming to LA - I'm there.

I know it's a bit off topic, but who does the singer sound like? Steve Wilson with a bit more personality/character? Or is it someone from the 70s? I can't put my finger on it.

I've seen them twice (opening for Yes & Sean Ono Lennon & his model girlfriend's band whose name escapes me) and if they get near Madison I'm there. Kate Bush's nephew is a multi-instrumentalist monster.

I don't hear Wilson at all, Jim, but whether natural or contrived, the singer has that "Sinclair-y" reedy quality in his voice and it damn sure works.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Enjoyed them opening for Yes, picked up their second LP at the show, holding up well.

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    I know it's a bit off topic, but who does the singer sound like? Steve Wilson with a bit more personality/character? Or is it someone from the 70s? I can't put my finger on it.
    I wouldn't say Liam Magill (their guitarist/singer) necessarily sounds like Richard Sinclair or Pye Hastings but I'd agree there's a Canterbury quality to his singing. Oddly enough, he reminds me a lot of Billy Holiday!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Does anyone know when the new album is scheduled for release? I'd swear they printed the final mixes back in January???

Saw these guys open for Yes in Houston and bought up all of their albums the following day. One of the few bands these days with their own sound. Brilliant.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

I'd be in for a show if they come to the SE.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I don't thing Magill sounds anything like Sinclair or Hastings or any of the other usual "Canterbury" vocalists. I think he's way better than that. Will have to revisit some vintage Porcupine Tree to see if the Wilson idea holds water.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    ...they've officially changed drummers.....
    drummers...did they have more than one ? who is the new one ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dedatolo View Post
    drummers...did they have more than one ? who is the new one ?
    H/T Wikipedia:
    The band are currently playing with the (yet another) Magill's brother Josh filling in for Fred Rother, who has missed gigs in the past due to problems with tinnitus.
    As far as I know Fred hasn't played a show since 2014, and their FB photo has been updated with Josh.

And they're definitely ramping up the live work. They've just announced they'll be at Glastonbury next month.

Finally, here's another little tidbit from a linked story that should be of interest to Canterbury geeks:

I noticed that Raven was using a "Face Lift" fuzz pedal. I'm not really up on my music technology, but I'd not come across one of these until a few days earlier, when Margate-based guitarist Mark Hewins showed me an interview he'd filmed with his collaborator Hugh Hopper, wherein Hugh discussed the various pedals he used. He starts off with the older models, and then moves on to the various innovations. "I'd like to think this was named after a tune I once wrote", he said modestly when introducing the Face Lift:

I mentioned this to Raven afterwards, and it turns out that they're the same pedal! Hugh's widow Christine has not only entrusted his famous Fender Jazz bass (and tape archive) with Joel, she's said that she's more than happy for the band to use any of Hugh's pedals.

I think he's a much better natural vocalist than Wilson, not that Wilson tries to sound like anyone other than himself. He knows his limitations and doesn't push it. He hasbecome better over time. ( Just for the record, I'm a huge Wilson fan, so it not slagging him)
    Syd Arthur is fantastic. I don't know who the guy is they're opening for at terminal 5, but I'll go just to see them. I think they're good enough to be headlining, but glad they're getting exposure, they deserve it.
    Like Geezer above, saw that same tour, and was floored by BOTH bands. I bought both their albums and neither has lost anything give the amount a still play them. Though I think the older one gets more spin time.
    The new one is an auto buy. I'll keep my eye out.

Coming to LA - I'm there.

Dave Matthews... in fact, the whole band has a faint Dave Matthews Band vibe...

^^^I know that's not it because I've never heard Dave Matthews

More shows added. This is the current rundown:

Sept 2 - Riot Fest - Denver, CO
    Sept 3 - Sonic Boom - Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Sept 4 - X Fest - Calgary, AB, Canada
    Sept 7 - The Commodore Ballroom - Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Sept 8 - Showbox Presents - Seattle, WA
    Sept 9 - Oregon Zoo Summer Concerts - Portland, OR
    Sept 10 - Ace Of Spades - Sacramento, CA
    Sept 13 - The Wiltern - Los Angeles, CA
    Sept 20 - Pabst / Riverside / Turner Hall - Milwaukee, WI
    Sept 21 - The Majestic - Detroit, MI
    Sept 23 - Mr. Smalls - Pittsburgh, PA
    Sept 25 - TLA - Philadelphia, PA
    Sept 27 - TERMINAL 5 - New York, NY
    Sept 28 - Royale - Boston, MA
    Sept 29 - The Lincoln Theatre - Washington, DC

On FB they say "More TBC", which hopefully means those of us in the Bay Area won't be left behind. They're hitting the west coast so I can only imagine they're still negotiating with venues.

More shows added. This is the current rundown:

Sept 2 - Riot Fest - Denver, CO
    Sept 3 - Sonic Boom - Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Sept 4 - X Fest - Calgary, AB, Canada
    Sept 7 - The Commodore Ballroom - Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Sept 8 - Showbox Presents - Seattle, WA
    Sept 9 - Oregon Zoo Summer Concerts - Portland, OR
    Sept 10 - Ace Of Spades - Sacramento, CA
    Sept 13 - The Wiltern - Los Angeles, CA
    Sept 20 - Pabst / Riverside / Turner Hall - Milwaukee, WI
    Sept 21 - The Majestic - Detroit, MI
    Sept 23 - Mr. Smalls - Pittsburgh, PA
    Sept 25 - TLA - Philadelphia, PA
    Sept 27 - TERMINAL 5 - New York, NY
    Sept 28 - Royale - Boston, MA
    Sept 29 - The Lincoln Theatre - Washington, DC

On FB they say "More TBC", which hopefully means those of us in the Bay Area won't be left behind. They're hitting the west coast so I can only imagine they're still negotiating with venues.
    They are an opening act for Jake Bugg, so I doubt that they are the ones scheduling the tour, unless they plan on doing some headlining dates.

Enjoyed them opening for Yes but the sound was bad. Will definitely check them out again on this tour. Jake Bugg was huge
    a few years ago, described as the next Bob Dylan.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    They are an opening act for Jake Bugg, so I doubt that they are the ones scheduling the tour, unless they plan on doing some headlining dates.
    Yeah, I didn't mean them personally.

But last time they were here they actually did squeeze in a headlining gig at a small club in SF. It was funny seeing them go from opener for someone else to being the headliner with local bands opening for them!

It's funny, because the Dave Matthews comparisons have been going on for years... along with the Caravan-Richard Sinclair ones, etc.

It's funny, because the Dave Matthews comparisons have been going on for years...

But they mostly remind me of Moom, a British band of the nineties that also was called Canterburian and was compared to Caravan-Sinclair... and the Grateful Dead.

Yeah, I didn't mean them personally.

But last time they were here they actually did squeeze in a headlining gig at a small club in SF. It was funny seeing them go from opener for someone else to being the headliner with local bands opening for them!
    That would've been cool. I only got to see them with Sean Lennon's band, who were great.

Tickets are selling fast for this Jake Bugg character here. I need to make a decision soon.

The band posted 20 seconds of a new song for all us Facebookers.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    The band posted 20 seconds of a new song for all us Facebookers.
    Thanks for the head's up. If one is to infer anything from 20 seconds of an intro, I'd say the new one will take a step further toward modern sounds and textures and away from the acoustic jazz/folk thing of albums like On An On. If so I'll miss that side of the band, though I'm excited to hear what they've been doing for the past 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Interesting. It's like a 2D extension of the last cover.